IGNORED

Adam Nagy

davidoldfart

On 14/06/2021 at 12:14, 1960maaan said:

17 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

You ask any player what his favourite position is, and then see where he is selected to play.

Players aren't always the best judge of their most effective position on the pitch.

Not saying that Nagy is or isn't correct, just a general observation.

I think Bobby "I'm not a Striker" Reid might agree with you.

28 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

More and more people are realising how good Nagy is. Expect he will be sold now!

He was class when he first arrived, played a blinder in his first few games before injury and looked good at the back end of last season. If he can return to that form, like he did at the Euros, then he’ll be huge for us this season.

3 hours ago, KegCity said:

He was class when he first arrived, played a blinder in his first few games before injury and looked good at the back end of last season. If he can return to that form, like he did at the Euros, then he’ll be huge for us this season.

Sorry to be pedantic- but it wasn’t his “first few games” it was 135 minutes- we all seem to be blinded by this- he’s not what we need, move him on. 

7 hours ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Sorry to be pedantic- but it wasn’t his “first few games” it was 135 minutes- we all seem to be blinded by this- he’s not what we need, move him on. 

Quite right, last thing we want is a quality international midfield player messing about in our team.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Quite right, last thing we want is a quality international midfield player messing about in our team.

So true , he might even get us promoted and then what could we moan about.

He is a very good player of which we have yet to see the best.

In style he reminds me Ngola Kante breaking up play, constantly nicking the ball in front of the defence and setting up attacks.

If we concentrate on what he can do as demonstrated by his performances for Hungary and play to his strengths rather  than  put him in the team then play him on the wing or in goal  he will have a big impact this season

58 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

So true , he might even get us promoted and then what could we moan about.

He is a very good player of which we have yet to see the best.

In style he reminds me Ngola Kante breaking up play, constantly nicking the ball in front of the defence and setting up attacks.

If we concentrate on what he can do as demonstrated by his performances for Hungary and play to his strengths rather  than  put him in the team then play him on the wing or in goal  he will have a big impact this season

Sadly, weve been saying the same thing since he signed. The guy is clearly likeable and intelligent but apart from the odd flash, just isnt built for us/ english football, and i think he would suit a slower more technical league.

24 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Sadly, weve been saying the same thing since he signed. The guy is clearly likeable and intelligent but apart from the odd flash, just isnt built for us/ english football, and i think he would suit a slower more technical league.

Really?  He was reported to be consistently the fittest player at the club last year (that’s fit, rather than injury-free), and consistently ran as far if not further than most players in the team in matches. 

15 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Really?  He was reported to be consistently the fittest player at the club last year (that’s fit, rather than injury-free), and consistently ran as far if not further than most players in the team in matches. 

Fit - I think this is qualified on OTIB by the fact that we saw him winning the beep / yo-yo test last summer.  So undoubtedly has fantastic stamina.

But the questions are can he run at short, sharp, intensive bursts required for this league?  Couple that with doing that with physicality, it’s hard to form an argument that he’s truly proved this so far.

Plus running more km per match could be an indication that he runs about inefficiently.  We all know his tendency to chase the ball rather than track his man.  A former Rovers Youth coach ingrained in my team very early on - the ball moves quicker than a player!

I think he’s a good player, I’m not convinced he’s truly suited to us / Champ, but like all players they have the opportunity to change opinions by playing well.  So far he’s not stood out other than in flashes, which you could argue lots of other players are capable of doing too.

Big season….happy to have him here, but imho he needs to do better.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Fit - I think this is qualified on OTIB by the fact that we saw him winning the beep / yo-yo test last summer.  So undoubtedly has fantastic stamina.

But the questions are can he run at short, sharp, intensive bursts required for this league?  Couple that with doing that with physicality, it’s hard to form an argument that he’s truly proved this so far.

Plus running more km per match could be an indication that he runs about inefficiently.  We all know his tendency to chase the ball rather than track his man.  A former Rovers Youth coach ingrained in my team very early on - the ball moves quicker than a player!

I think he’s a good player, I’m not convinced he’s truly suited to us / Champ, but like all players they have the opportunity to change opinions by playing well.  So far he’s not stood out other than in flashes, which you could argue lots of other players are capable of doing too.

Big season….happy to have him here, but imho he needs to do better.

I know this is pretty much recycling old conversations here but I think that a lot comes down Pearson making a decision on the style he wants to play, how he wants the midfield to work as a unit and which midfielders best suit that. I don't think we've so far had a style and system that suits him and I don't think he's shown enough to justify that he is the player we need to build a team around. I rate him as a player and I'd love to see him be a key player for us but it might simply be he's the wrong player in the wrong system at the wrong time. 

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I know this is pretty much recycling old conversations here but I think that a lot comes down Pearson making a decision on the style he wants to play, how he wants the midfield to work as a unit and which midfielders best suit that. I don't think we've so far had a style and system that suits him and I don't think he's shown enough to justify that he is the player we need to build a team around. I rate him as a player and I'd love to see him be a key player for us but it might simply be he's the wrong player in the wrong system at the wrong time. 

Yes, just reading an article in The Athletic (only because it’s £1 for 6 months) about Brian Howard (yes, him).  He is Rob Atkinson’s agent and was saying that City were one of the clubs suited because intention to pass out from the back.  So, Atkinson’s signing maybe first indication of style….which as you say, would suit Nagy more than going direct.

I know it’s not about formations but 433 gives us more scope to play 3 genuine CMs that say 4231, or the 442 we saw v Celtic.  There are so many permutations in a conventional 3 (Nagy, Williams, James, King, Bakinson, Massengo), and each 3 could give you a different blend too.

In the above, I think you need 6 too!

All about opinion I suppose . If you play for your country you have something . As for slagging off players or not rating them this happens at every club and not unique to us . 
I think Nagy is a nice player who maybe is a little inconsistent. His role is quite unspectacular but vital in the way we play .,

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, just reading an article in The Athletic (only because it’s £1 for 6 months) about Brian Howard (yes, him).  He is Rob Atkinson’s agent and was saying that City were one of the clubs suited because intention to pass out from the back.  So, Atkinson’s signing maybe first indication of style….which as you say, would suit Nagy more than going direct.

I know it’s not about formations but 433 gives us more scope to play 3 genuine CMs that say 4231, or the 442 we saw v Celtic.  There are so many permutations in a conventional 3 (Nagy, Williams, James, King, Bakinson, Massengo), and each 3 could give you a different blend too.

I think a lot still maybe comes down to the striker signing - whether we make one, whether they are first choice and what their style of play is. With both Wells and Martin, a 4-3-3 would only work if we were able to get the two wide players much closer to the striker than we managed last season and, especially with Martin, we'd need to make sure goals were elsewhere in the team too. I reckon a 3 man midfield would suit us but I think the right striker could be key to making it work. 

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Be great to see us line up 4:3:3 and control the midfield with more authority than we’ve seen for some time with City. 

3 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

he has not shown city the form he shows for Hungary. For what reason who knows

I think one reason is that he's given a role for Hungary, knows what it is and what's expected of him, and so do his team mates. 

That's something we never appear to have done. 

I'm happy that he stay if we will have a system that suits him and use his strengths. He's clearly a good player in the right system. Otherwise there's no point. 

It's the old 'square pegs, round holes' scenario. The last year or so our strategy and systems seem to have more like that game children have where you have to hammer not just round and square but also circular and triangular and oblong shapes into the right hole!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Phillips ran the 2nd most at the Euros so not fully agreeing with this.

11 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I think one reason is that he's given a role for Hungary, knows what it is and what's expected of him, and so do his team mates. 

That's something we never appear to have done. 

I'm happy that he stay if we will have a system that suits him and use his strengths. He's clearly a good player in the right system. Otherwise there's no point. 

It's the old 'square pegs, round holes' scenario. The last year or so our strategy and systems seem to have more like that game children have where you have to hammer not just round and square but also circular and triangular and oblong shapes into the right hole!

Yep.

Organised chaos which has taken root for many seasons now. A product of buying players for resale value rather than for building a team. 

I can’t recall the last time I watched a silky-smooth functioning midfield, let alone an entire team. No cohesion, no partnerships just a rabble of individuals.

Pearson, Im sure, recognises the problem and will fix it. 

54 minutes ago, Selred said:

Phillips ran the 2nd most at the Euros so not fully agreeing with this.

Yeah, but Phillips does it at pace and intensity….and with purpose, I.e gets in your face, physically intimidates.  Adam runs around a bit more headless, that’s the point I’m trying to make.  For a player who plays with much more positional discipline for Hungary, I’m amazed at some of the running he does for us because he gets attracted to the ball.  It’s very disappointing to see….and even more difficult for teammates to play alongside.

Lets hope we can find a set-up that he can perform in.

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

He can run all day, but doesnt have the build to cope with the championship 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, but Phillips does it at pace and intensity….and with purpose, I.e gets in your face, physically intimidates.  Adam runs around a bit more headless, that’s the point I’m trying to make.  For a player who plays with much more positional discipline for Hungary, I’m amazed at some of the running he does for us because he gets attracted to the ball.  It’s very disappointing to see….and even more difficult for teammates to play alongside.

Lets hope we can find a set-up that he can perform in.

I agree with this, he goes off to chase the ball in area's he shouldnt be in and then the midfield and defence becomes stretched to cover the absence from his position

22 minutes ago, M.D said:

I agree with this, he goes off to chase the ball in area's he shouldnt be in and then the midfield and defence becomes stretched to cover the absence from his position

….and for a bit of balance, on form, I like that creates angles to receives passes inside from our FBs (Lansbury didn’t), tries to play angled passes through the lines.

Also, the couple of times he played on the right side of midfield, he didn’t look out of place either….but did drift out of the game in the second half.

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

He can run all day, but doesnt have the build to cope with the championship 

On 20/06/2021 at 09:26, Abraham Romanovich said:

Give me strength, not suited to championship football ?

Nagy is a class act who came to us from Hungary via Bologna then suffered a serious injury in his first season  all imports take time to settle , we have an excellent player on our hands who will become an integral part of the way we set up and play.

looks like i picked the wrong week to quit drinking - Airplane! | Meme  Generator

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't think Nagy would have had too many problems in a team managed by someone like Bielsa.

If he's pressing someone who has the ball further up the pitch, it's often because someone else isn't.

He’s not physical enough for Bielsa.  Not only do his players run and run, they hit you, they leave something on you.  They make you think you’re gonna get whacked the next time you receive the ball.  It’s a different type of intensity altogether.

That’s too simplistic Jon.  If you imagine two 442s against each other, or two 433s against each other, you can see where a spare man comes from.  Teams don’t go man-4-man….they always like a spare defender.  As the ball moves around the pitch, that spare player may change.  

therefore there’s football intelligence that says why run away from the man you’re marking who’s a bigger threat to our goal to go and engage someone further down the pitch, who’s less of a danger.  That’s the flaw.  Nagy rarely runs around headlessly for Hungary.  Invariably the opposition will have a spare man further down the field (away from our goal) because….as per para above….we invariably have a spare man in one of or CBs or FBs (depending on how many they play up front).  It’s why our strikers try to split the CBs or try to split the CB and RB for example.  If our two strikers can somehow (it’s not easy) occupy / split 4 opposition defenders, then that’s great but invariably it takes a 3rd player from us to split 4….and good teams with good movement and passing are then able to play through pressing.  There’s a time for Nagy to move out of position, and there’s a time when he should stay where he is, attempting to mark his opponent and screen his CBs.

17 hours ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

? He nevertheless showed that he can be a quality championship midfielder, and has further shown his quality on International duty. Whatever the reason for his struggles at city (poor coaching, injury troubles, being homesick), it certainly isn't a lack of ability.

Archived