IGNORED

Aye Aye Captain!

Red Billy

I never thought of a captain as being hugely important, for instance when a captain gets injured we’ve seen whoever is closest getting the armband at times like it doesn’t really matter.

However, hearing Roy Keane a few times having a go at Harry Kane for not getting tough with a player who needs a good rollicking, I wonder if Kalas is that type of player too.

I know he leads by example and always puts his body on the line but is he a good on the pitch communicator?

Not just captaincy, but I think we saw him play better when Mariappa was organising alongside him.  Might’ve been a long season had got to him, and he had a few poor games.

I still rate TK, but I would be looking at a new captain.  If it doesn’t come from a new signing, my candidates are Bentley or Weimann.

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not just captaincy, but I think we saw him play better when Mariappa was organising alongside him.  Might’ve been a long season had got to him, and he had a few poor games.

I still rate TK, but I would be looking at a new captain.  If it doesn’t come from a new signing, my candidates are Bentley or Weimann.

Agreed Dave - can see Weimann being captain next season

I'm sure Kalas was proud to receive the armband but he's not a natural captain and may be one of those where the responsibility can detract from his performance. I'd look elsewhere.

Of players at the club Moore, like his late great namesake, is a natural captain but I'm not sure whether he'll be around next season (and may end up captaining Blackpool). Bentley is a possible provided he's still here but I don't know what Pearson thinks about keeper captains. Weimann is another candidate and perhaps Martin or Simpson if game experience is key. Wouldn't be at all surprised though if our new captain has yet to arrive. 

I think Thomas Kalas was very disappointing in the last few games, he made several mistakes which you dont expect

from a player with his pedigree. He certainly never gave the appearance of being a good captain right throughout the

season, surely he should have been in the other players faces the way they were performing.

I think he goes in to the pack with the center halves we already have plus any new ones that come in, and he has it

all to prove to cement his place. This may not be helped by the fact that he will be late reporting back after his

International exploits, which may even affect his fitness and the ability to get straight back in the team.

9 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I'm sure Kalas was proud to receive the armband but he's not a natural captain and may be one of those where the responsibility can detract from his performance. I'd look elsewhere.

Of players at the club Moore, like his late great namesake, is a natural captain but I'm not sure whether he'll be around next season (and may end up captaining Blackpool). Bentley is a possible provided he's still here but I don't know what Pearson thinks about keeper captains. Weimann is another candidate and perhaps Martin or Simpson if game experience is key. Wouldn't be at all surprised though if our new captain has yet to arrive. 

I think Joe Williams will end up as captain.  A natural leader

One things for sure, we don't have a stand out candidate at the club at the moment. Hopefully, as others have said, he is yet to arrive. The job is different today though and it doesn't have to be the biggest, loudest player. No one springs to mind for me from the present bunch.

No, I don't think he needs the added pressure of being the captain. 

What will help us next season is bringing in fresh blood to lead the team and take on the captain role.  That will free up Kalas to hopefully get back to his best. Also, the new person won't have had the awful experience of playing here last season to try to turn around.

I don’t mind who the captain is. What I do know is that we’re short of at least three leaders and organisers (whether they wear an armband or not). We had zero last season and need a couple at the back and at least one in the middle of the park. Ideally more than that. I’m sure nige gets this. Add a bit of pace and fitness to the side and we might have a chance of being competitive. 

He’s certainly not captain material IMO. Next season is a big one for Kalas and hopefully Nigel can get more out of him - possibly without the added stress and responsibility of having the armband his performances may improve. 
Im going to throw it out there but i think he has been a huge disappointment since signing permanently.. £8 million and a reported £25 k a week salary is a big outlay for us and so far he hasn’t come anywhere near looking value for money. As i said next season is a big one for him.

Tomas Kalas hasn't looked out of place in the past week or so on one of the bigger international football stages. Rather as with Adam Nagy if we can't get the best out him I'm not sure it reflects overmuch on his unquestioned ability. He seems a world class central defensive stopper.

I'm not sure why City required him to be club captain. He doesn't seem suited to it. I'd relieve him of that responsibility and let him focus on what he does best.

This is part of the problem.

Really, who wears the captain armband shouldn't really matter, we just need more on field leaders.  

If you take our Cotterill's promotion team we probably had a number of different captains but what we had was Wade Elliott, Korey Smith, Wilbs, Flint, Pack and probably others who were 'natural' leaders.

Kalas would probably do really well as captain in a team with those characters. 

14 minutes ago, Back of the net said:

Really, who wears the captain armband shouldn't really matter, we just need more on field leaders.  

If you take our Cotterill's promotion team we probably had a number of different captains but what we had was Wade Elliott, Korey Smith, Wilbs, Flint, Pack and probably others who were 'natural' leaders.

Very true.

Pearson made comments along the lines that there aren’t enough players in the dressing room willing to enforce the levels of professionalism / playing standards required.  That’s pretty damming isn’t it?

Kalas probably wasn't the best captain in a practical/organisational sense, but he certainly lead by example.

3 hours ago, Back of the net said:

This. Even Pearson struggled to motivate the players, so I don't blame Kalas for that at all.

The issue isn't who gets to wear an armband, it's an issue with the club culture. Pearson alluded to this multiple times in various ways.

Last season, how many players really wanted to stand up and be counted when it was getting tough? Was the mentality to cover for teammates, or was it simply to protect yourself and hope you weren't the one to make mistakes? Reflecting on it, we often seemed like a team with too many individuals who were hoping that someone else would sort it out.

In fairness to him, I wouldn't accuse Kalas of any of the character flaws listed above. 

Archived