IGNORED

Team for Tuesday

Will Rollason

I'd be very surprised if we get anything other than the team that started against Croatia BUT..

With the same formation I'd really like to see Bellingham with... Phillips maybe..I don't think we need two defensive pivots, we've also played Mount as one of the two pivots beating Iceland 4-0.........

Mings has done well but I'd have Maguire back in for his attitude and massive forehead... Henderson as well....

Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire Chilwell

Bellingham Henderson

Foden Mount Sancho

Kane

Pickford; Trippier, Stones, Maguire, Chilwell; Bellingham, Mount; Sancho, Grealish, Foden, Rashford. 

Start as a 4231, with flex to go 433 or a 4141 in-game. That’ll never happen, though. Southgate will go for the same old shit.

He won’t do it but I’d like him to drop one of the CDM....

Pickford

Walker     Stones     Maguire       Shaw

Rice

Mount           Grealish

Sancho                                    Foden

Kane

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Calvert-Lewin for me.

Yeah I very nearly put DCL in my team. But Kane is the type of player to bring his game when the odds are against him...

DCL probably unlucky not to get the nod.

I think Hendo and Maguire will each get an hour, with Bellingham and Coady coming on for the end.

Personally, I'd drop Sterling, Kane, Phillips and Shaw for DCL, Bezza, Sancho and Chilwell, but I'm certain that GS wouldn't do that. 

1 hour ago, marmite said:

I rather think Southgate is hoping to progress without using all his best players early. Hence his strange selections so far. Risky strategy but we should progress whatever.

He's got to get a tune out of this squad soon enough, otherwise he's facing his last 180 minutes as England manager

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

TBH after Fridays debacle I really no longer care.

Yes, we were shocking on Friday, no excuses. It was the fear of losing from around nine of our players, no doubt about it but it's not the end of the world. Spain were shocking last night (unless you call keeping the ball and creating pretty much **** all good football) and yet you just know they are likely to be at the business end of this tournament. I'm certainly not saying England are this and that but what I do know is we have a lot more in us than we showed on Friday and it's how you finish a tournament that counts not how you start it.

We've all seen it - teams start off blasting everyone out of sight, pundits and fans wax lyrical about them, they're different class, unstoppable blah blah blah and then before you've finished praising them to the hilt they go and get done in a quarter final by a team who have, up to that point, bored everyone to death or just plain misfired. Portugal picking up three points from three group games and winning the bloody thing highlighting the point.

If England put in a performance in the next two games I would wager that everyone will start "caring" again.........

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Yes, we were shocking on Friday, no excuses. It was the fear of losing from around nine of our players, no doubt about it but it's not the end of the world. Spain were shocking last night (unless you call keeping the ball and creating pretty much **** all good football) and yet you just know they are likely to be at the business end of this tournament. I'm certainly not saying England are this and that but what I do know is we have a lot more in us than we showed on Friday and it's how you finish a tournament that counts not how you start it.

We've all seen it - teams start off blasting everyone out of sight, pundits and fans wax lyrical about them, they're different class, unstoppable blah blah blah and then before you've finished praising them to the hilt they go and get done in a quarter final by a team who have, up to that point, bored everyone to death or just plain misfired. Portugal picking up three points from three group games and winning the bloody thing highlighting the point.

If England put in a performance in the next two games I would wager that everyone will start "caring" again.........

I certainly hope so but our lack of fight etc etc was just embarrassing.

Just now, BigTone said:

I certainly hope so but our lack of fight etc etc was just embarrassing.

It was, you can't argue with that, Mings and Pickford the obvious exceptions (which is why I'm surprised so many on here want Mings replaced tbh). However, that is the only game of that type we will play in the tournament and we came out unscathed, rather luckily. I am convinced we will be a lot better going forward and if and when we do lose in this tournament it will be with a lot more fight and bottle than we showed on Friday. If not then Southgate has to go, there's no argument about that imo.

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It was, you can't argue with that, Mings and Pickford the obvious exceptions (which is why I'm surprised so many on here want Mings replaced tbh). However, that is the only game of that type we will play in the tournament and we came out unscathed, rather luckily. I am convinced we will be a lot better going forward and if and when we do lose in this tournament it will be with a lot more fight and bottle than we showed on Friday. If not then Southgate has to go, there's no argument about that imo.

I wish I shared your positive thoughts. 

Calvert-Lewis from the start please.

What's the point in him tearing up the premier league and picking him for the squad if you won't play him, please don't say experience, I don't think DCL would be happy with a pat on the head and a well done for being a squad player!

For whatever reason Kane hasn't performed (yet), let someone else should have a go. Or is it super tactics from GS in that Lane dropping short is allowing Sterling to be the furthest forward and leave Kane as a decoy? 

A draw is better for the Czechs than it is for England. I expect them to set up defensive and for the counter attack. After Friday they will probably think we will struggle to break them down, if Scotland or Croatia score the pressure increases on England. It’s a tricky one to set up for thanks to the rubbish result against Scotland

I think we need to be a bit more attacking and go for it.

So something like this                  

Pickford

Stones       Maguire

Henderson   Phillips

Foden        Grealish

Sancho Calvert-Lewin Kane Rashford

Southgate will play 2 DMs because

¶ his philosophy is to avoid defeat rather than play to win

¶ he's so ultra cautious he played 2 DMs against Malta! 

¶ he needs to shore up the middle as he knows we entered the tournament with the worst set of CBs in our history

¶ he will settle for a draw which is what he will get

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Calvert-Lewin for me.

A bit of a sorry state of affairs that Calvert-Lewin is our only real like for like replacement for Kane. Nothing against him and he is a fine Premier League striker but let’s be honest he is far from World class. I’d persist with Kane..

I’d personally like Sancho and Grealish to start drop one of the DM’s and trust rice to do the job on his own. With the extra attacking player we have the ability to hurt teams.

Archived