IGNORED

Team for Tuesday

Will Rollason

13 hours ago, bris red said:

A bit of a sorry state of affairs that Calvert-Lewin is our only real like for like replacement for Kane. Nothing against him and he is a fine Premier League striker but let’s be honest he is far from World class. I’d persist with Kane..

I’d personally like Sancho and Grealish to start drop one of the DM’s and trust rice to do the job on his own. With the extra attacking player we have the ability to hurt teams.

That was the thing that annoyed me most on Friday. It wasn't a "normal" international game and if there was ever a situation where we needed to forget playing through the opposition, play the ball out to wide areas and cross the ball into the box as early as possible for the "big man" to attack it that was it. Everyone could see that Calvert Lewin was what we needed after 45 minutes on Friday. If we put 10 balls in the box we would have needed Calvert Lewin to get the better of Hanley once and we were in. We didn't need "World Class" on Friday and if you don't use DCL in that situation then why bother sticking him in the squad?

What does Gareth do? He gets blinded by his bookshelf of coaching manuals, that's what. Brings on the prospective Labour Party candidate for Salford, MBE, in the hope that we were somehow going to catch Scotland in behind. Ironically the only time that came close to coming off was when our best passer of the ball, PICKFORD, launched that 70 yard howitzer with his right foot down the left channel. Somebody should have said to Reece James "see, even our ******* Goalkeeper plays a decent pass forward more often than you do"........

Before anyone gets offended too much I think it's great what Marcus Rashford has done to highlight poverty and the like and hats off to him for using his status to highlight it. I also happen to think that he gets paid a life changing amount of money each month to play football, his job, and he really needs to concentrate on that for the present and push his game on to where it already should be by now but clearly isn't.

Not sure why we would start Maguire in this match when we only really need a draw. Bring him on for 30 mins if he really is ok or give him longer just to be sure. CB is our biggest weakness so don't risk it.

Kane won't get dropped. If Southgate reverts to one DM that would be something but I will be shocked if he does.

11 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Not sure why we would start Maguire in this match when we only really need a draw. Bring him on for 30 mins if he really is ok or give him longer just to be sure. CB is our biggest weakness so don't risk it.

Kane won't get dropped. If Southgate reverts to one DM that would be something but I will be shocked if he does.

I would make 6 changes. I would keep Kane involved in the hope he scores and his confidence comes back. If not then give DCL some decent time 2nd half.

Changes I would make would be:-

Sancho for Foden; Grealish for Sterling; Bellingham for Phillips; Maguire for Mings or Stones; Trippier for James; Chilwell for Shaw;

Most important thing is to get the best full backs on the pitch and cross the damn ball

I like how the German's are using the 3-4-3 system this tournament, and we were in fact using that system a lot in qualification so I'd like to see us go back to it so as to get that width into our attack. We need to get our talented wingbacks into the game more, in the same way they are seeing Gosins and Kimmich swinging balls and dominating the flanks. Will help Kane a lot more too. 

Would love to see the below team for tomorrow, and don't really care if it's Phillips or Rice as our main CM shield. Mount can then be switched up for Bellingham if he's not on it, same for Grealish with Foden etc. Sancho deserves a start IMO. 

Pickford

Stones, Maguire, Mings

Trippier, Phillips, Mount, Chilwell

Sancho, Kane, Grealish

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

I would make 6 changes. I would keep Kane involved in the hope he scores and his confidence comes back. If not then give DCL some decent time 2nd half.

Sancho for Foden; Grealish for Sterling; Bellingham for Phillips; Maguire for Mings or Stones; Trippier for James; Chilwell for Shaw;

Most important thing is to get the best full backs on the pitch and cross the damn ball

Surely you'd want Walker and Shaw on the pitch then?

I'd also pick Sterling ahead of Grealish, I think. I might be inclined to put Grealish in ahead of Mount.

He said Kane will play, so forget the high press or the ball sticking when we play it long. I can forgive lack of form, lack of touch or lack of timing but for lack of effort there is no excuse especially from the Captain. This unconditional preferential selection cannot be helping team spirit.

For me Southgate spend the whole time with fear all over his body language and this gets passed onto team. If the Portugal says win at all cost, I think the message from Gareth is "don't lose at all cost.

Very sad with the talent he has available to him

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

That was the thing that annoyed me most on Friday. It wasn't a "normal" international game and if there was ever a situation where we needed to forget playing through the opposition, play the ball out to wide areas and cross the ball into the box as early as possible for the "big man" to attack it that was it. Everyone could see that Calvert Lewin was what we needed after 45 minutes on Friday. If we put 10 balls in the box we would have needed Calvert Lewin to get the better of Hanley once and we were in. We didn't need "World Class" on Friday and if you don't use DCL in that situation then why bother sticking him in the squad?

What does Gareth do? He gets blinded by his bookshelf of coaching manuals, that's what. Brings on the prospective Labour Party candidate for Salford, MBE, in the hope that we were somehow going to catch Scotland in behind. Ironically the only time that came close to coming off was when our best passer of the ball, PICKFORD, launched that 70 yard howitzer with his right foot down the left channel. Somebody should have said to Reece James "see, even our ******* Goalkeeper plays a decent pass forward more often than you do"........

Before anyone gets offended too much I think it's great what Marcus Rashford has done to highlight poverty and the like and hats off to him for using his status to highlight it. I also happen to think that he gets paid a life changing amount of money each month to play football, his job, and he really needs to concentrate on that for the present and push his game on to where it already should be by now but clearly isn't.

Rashford has never worked out well as a central striker. Why put him there when you have a natural 9 on the bench

24 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Surely you'd want Walker and Shaw on the pitch then?

I'd also pick Sterling ahead of Grealish, I think. I might be inclined to put Grealish in ahead of Mount.

Err no.  Chilwell and Trippier are much better delivering the ball. 

2 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

I like how the German's are using the 3-4-3 system this tournament, and we were in fact using that system a lot in qualification so I'd like to see us go back to it so as to get that width into our attack. We need to get our talented wingbacks into the game more, in the same way they are seeing Gosins and Kimmich swinging balls and dominating the flanks. Will help Kane a lot more too. 

Would love to see the below team for tomorrow, and don't really care if it's Phillips or Rice as our main CM shield. Mount can then be switched up for Bellingham if he's not on it, same for Grealish with Foden etc. Sancho deserves a start IMO. 

Pickford

Stones, Maguire, Mings

Trippier, Phillips, Mount, Chilwell

Sancho, Kane, Grealish

Don't mind that but he would put Walker in the back 3 with one of Maguire or Mings left out due to his pace.

27 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

He said Kane will play, so forget the high press or the ball sticking when we play it long. I can forgive lack of form, lack of touch or lack of timing but for lack of effort there is no excuse especially from the Captain. This unconditional preferential selection cannot be helping team spirit.

For me Southgate spend the whole time with fear all over his body language and this gets passed onto team. If the Portugal says win at all cost, I think the message from Gareth is "don't lose at all cost.

Very sad with the talent he has available to him

I’ve long held the opinion that although Kane is a wonderful goalscorer, he rarely produces a good performance for England bar his goals.  Don’t get me wrong his goals record is fantastic, but he stifles our football at times, means we don’t play through the lines centrally, etc.  Once teams work out you just need to push England wide, we are much easier to keep quiet.  If we are gonna be pushed wide so easily we need to think about whether a system that suits crossing from wide positions would be beneficial.

24 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Rashford has never worked out well as a central striker. Why put him there when you have a natural 9 on the bench

Rashford and Sterling played a bit together before the previous WC and looked useful, capable of coming short and spinning in behind….but as it currently stands Rashforc is off form.

3 hours ago, The Bard said:

100% agree. Spot on

6 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

Kane        Sancho

Grealish            Mount           Foden

Phillips

Chilwell     Mings*         Stones       Walker

Johnstone

*Maguire if fit.

Bellingham has to start surely?

31 minutes ago, supercidered said:

I'd be amazed if Kane doesn't start. Not because I think he should start but Southgate just hasn't got the nads to rest / drop him.

Think Southall has confirmed already Kane starts.

it’s really difficult to look at us getting beyond the next round to be honest.

On 20/06/2021 at 13:13, Lew-T said:

He won’t do it but I’d like him to drop one of the CDM....

Pickford

Walker     Stones     Maguire       Shaw

Rice

Mount           Grealish

Sancho                                    Foden

Kane

Same team as this but with Trippier & Chilwell as the full backs for me.

On 20/06/2021 at 17:40, WarksRobin said:

A draw is better for the Czechs than it is for England. I expect them to set up defensive and for the counter attack. After Friday they will probably think we will struggle to break them down, if Scotland or Croatia score the pressure increases on England. It’s a tricky one to set up for thanks to the rubbish result against Scotland

Surely a draw is better for England as the group winner will have to play either France, Germany or Portugal.

4 minutes ago, bredwood said:

Surely a draw is better for England as the group winner will have to play either France, Germany or Portugal.

I mean the Czechs don’t need to take risks. I fear England going behind and some tense moments once either Scotland or Croatia score.

1 hour ago, bredwood said:

Following this, I’d pick a back 5 with 3 defensive midfielders:

Pickford 

Trippier Stones Mings  Maguire Walker

Philips    Rice    Henderson

Kane     Sancho

Hopefully a 0-0 draw will ensue.

If Mason Mount isn’t able to play it potentially makes things quite interesting.

Ideally I’d like to see:

Pickford

Trippier, Stones, Mings, Shaw

Bellingham, Phillips

Grealish

Sancho, Kane, Foden

I don’t think for a minute he’d try that but it would be an exciting team with plenty of threat. Mount being out might be a blessing in disguise as it forces Southgate’s hand a bit.

The thing for me is there's no risk of elimination tonight and we could do with a lift from a good performance so I'd go attacking.

I don't buy the idea that it's better to finish second. If we finish first then we have a tough second round match but the draw could really open up for us as arguably the three strongest teams - Italy, Belgium and the group F winners - will be in the other half of the draw and we wouldn't meet them until the final.

So I'd go (assuming no Mount and Chilwell and Maguire and Henderson aren't ready to start)

Pickford

Walker Stones Mings Shaw

Rice

Grealish     Foden

Sterling     Kane    Sancho

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

The thing for me is there's no risk of elimination tonight and we could do with a lift from a good performance so I'd go attacking.

I don't buy the idea that it's better to finish second. If we finish first then we have a tough second round match but the draw could really open up for us as arguably the three strongest teams - Italy, Belgium and the group F winners - will be in the other half of the draw and we wouldn't meet them until the final.

So I'd go (assuming no Mount and Chilwell and Maguire and Henderson aren't ready to start)

Pickford

Walker Stones Mings Shaw

Rice

Grealish     Foden

Sterling     Kane    Sancho

I agree. I’d much rather see us just play a capable team in the next round and find out early on if we can match them than crawl through camped in our own half against Sweden etc. We’d go into a game against Germany, France or Portugal with little expectation, and sometimes that works for England. 

Strong whispers of Saka and Grealish both starting tonight. Would be happy with that if it's 3-4-3 with Saka in the wing-back role and Grealish left of the front 3 like where he plays for Villa. Bellingham for Mount and Sancho to the right of Kane would then be a refreshing line-up full of pace.

Archived