IGNORED

Man City offer £100m for Harry Kane

Jerseybean

17 minutes ago, Fammyfan said:

About what you'd expect in today's market, he's about to turn 28 so wouldn't expect it to go much higher but his quality and the amount of shirtsales he'll generate will comfortably justify the price tag.

Not so….

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcmahon/2016/07/31/this-week-in-soccer-biz-130m-for-pogba-put-in-context-and-the-myth-of-zlatan-100m-shirt-sales/?sh=4aa2d764eaef

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The article explains that not all revenue will go to the club, even if the profit per shirt isn't as high as expected, Kane will most likely be Man City's main striker for the next 5 years or so. Shirt sales will be huge in that time.

22 minutes ago, Fammyfan said:

The article explains that not all revenue will go to the club, even if the profit per shirt isn't as high as expected, Kane will most likely be Man City's main striker for the next 5 years or so. Shirt sales will be huge in that time.

Exactly.  Of course there are commercial benefits, but too many people multiply sales x price and come up with a massive figure, ignoring costs to produce and not realising the club don’t get 100p in every £1 of sales.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly.  Of course there are commercial benefits, but too many people multiply sales x price and come up with a massive figure, ignoring costs to produce and not realising the club don’t get 100p in every £1 of sales.

Plus many people that buy a "Kane" shirt would just as quickly purchase a new shirt with "Mbappe", "Haaland" or even bloody "Diedhiou" on the back...because they always buy a shirt, and they always get the star striker's name on it. Or they may be 100% certain to buy a shirt anyway, and just get Kane on the back because it's an option.

So how do you quantify which shirts Kane has definitely sold over and above those that would have inevitably been sold anyway?

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

And how much of that 100p in every pound finds it's way back to the sweatshops of Bangladesh where they're made en mass? Not a lot I'm sure!

Since Spurs value him at £150m apparantly, can't see this first bid getting anywhere. More surprising to read they may offer Sterling and Jesus as part of a player swap deal - can't see any player wanting to go to a managerless, underachieving Spurs to be honest. 

17 minutes ago, Redstart said:

Since Spurs value him at £150m apparantly, can't see this first bid getting anywhere. More surprising to read they may offer Sterling and Jesus as part of a player swap deal - can't see any player wanting to go to a managerless, underachieving Spurs to be honest. 

Apparently there are some "behind the scenes" problems with Sterling at Man City.

18 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Apparently there are some "behind the scenes" problems with Sterling at Man City.

Any idea what sort of problems Tone? He's been off the mark for a while now. Can't believe he's still being picked to start for England tbh! 

55 minutes ago, Akira said:

Any idea what sort of problems Tone? He's been off the mark for a while now. Can't believe he's still being picked to start for England tbh! 

Not sure.  It was something I read the other day and it didn't go into details.  Might be nothing in it but equally its odd that they would offer him as part exchange if there wasn't some truth in it. Time will tell I suppose.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

To be fair Dave, he said justify rather than cover. If he gets £20m back in shirt sales, scores 30 and Man City win the Prem and Champions League, that would probably cover it!

1 minute ago, grifty said:

To be fair Dave, he said justify rather than cover. If he gets £20m back in shirt sales, scores 30 and Man City win the Prem and Champions League, that would probably cover it!

Yeah, as I said above there are other benefits but it is a fallacy that shirt sales will cover the fee / wages, like many suggest.

1 hour ago, Akira said:

To be fair to Sterling and Southgate, if you look at the qualifying goals/performances, Sterling was involved in pretty much every goal, scoring 8 and assisting a few too. He was a big reason as to why we got to the Euro's so it's not the craziest thing to pick him. Sterling has a good record for England. He then scored in the opening game and looked relatively dangerous with a few good turns and runs at the defence so maybe possibly justified starting the 2nd game.

He should have been off at half time or just after v Scotland though.

6 hours ago, BigTone said:

I read a similar story but no facts and from "sources".

I would imagine Sterling himself is not happy he has dropped down the pecking order at City. It looks like Pep would be happy to off load him and I bet the "source" is actually Man City paving the way to oust him but making it look like its Sterling pushing to leave.

5 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Can someone put Kane in perspective, how good compared to other household names is he?
Watching him he often looks like the last place he wants to be is on the pitch.

How successful is he in terms of goals scored from play compared to dead balls?

Lets turn that on its head and ask who would have Kane in a BCFC shirt. Despite his detractors on here I doubt too many would say no. He scores goals and lots of them.

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

Lets turn that on its head and ask who would have Kane in a BCFC shirt. Despite his detractors on here I doubt too many would say no. He scores goals and lots of them.

I know he scored a fair few, but look at the 2018 World Cup and remember how many he scored from play - top scorer with 6 goals and only 14 shots on target

7 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Can someone put Kane in perspective, how good compared to other household names is he?
Watching him he often looks like the last place he wants to be is on the pitch.

How successful is he in terms of goals scored from play compared to dead balls?

Last season was his best return in the sense of non penalty goals in the PL for a few years with 19, he scored the 5th most non penalty goals across all competitions in the top 5 leagues behind Lewandowski, Messi, Ronaldo and Haaland.

Kane is a genuinely dangerous forward at the top european level, if anything his willingness to come deep and get involved hurts him as it takes him away from the front line, picture him in a Man City team where he doesn't need to come short and only focus on getting in behind or being in positions to score and the players behind him able to do the rest, rather the amount of build work he's had to do at Spurs and linking with Son etc. If Kane goes to City and doesn't get injured he's almost nailed on to win the golden boot.

6 minutes ago, BigTone said:

With our track record, we’d soon put a stop to that!

Archived