IGNORED

Richard Gould's first interview as CEO

!james

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

A nice, gentle, unchallenging interview to break him in. Agree with the above poster, he's not as eloquent or polished as I expected after 10 years being CEO at Surrey.

Clearly, a nice guy. But then we already knew that.

Ultimately, he'll be judged on whether he can get good deals for the club over the line and how he manages the commercial side of things. 

Interested to see how he gets on. 

Agree it was unchallenging, but the real issue there is the Lansdowns have got themselves in a mess of Mark Ashton’s making & don’t want to admit that.

To be fair to Gould as well, clearly none of that can be laid at his door.

He certainly isn’t the polished public speaker that some in his role are, but he’ll be judged on how he does, not how he speaks & he starts with the huge plus that not only he isn’t Mark Ashton, but that he doesn’t appear to have any of his traits, either.

2 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

To be honest, he could wet his hand, stuff it under his armpit and make farting sounds for 15 minutes and it would still manage to be a more coherent and sensible message than Ashton ever managed.

It wouldn't be very eloquent, though, would it?

He's eloquent enough.   Media appearances are only a small part of his job.   The only time he gets lost for words is at 4.20 when explaining why recruitment is his biggest priority.   He starts of saying "Having , er, having  er, having ......."  but then can't think of how to go on.   I reckon he was about to say "Having had to clear out a lot of dead wood",  but must have wisely decided that it would be undiplomatic to slag off previous regimes,  so he stumbles a bit before settling  on  " er um er um ... a lot of players have moved on.."     

He's clearly excited to be in the job, has a clear vision of what a successful club looks like and knows his job is to build a team ethos.

Fair play.

1 minute ago, Daniro said:

He's eloquent enough.   Media appearances are only a small part of his job.   The only time he gets lost for words is at 4.20 when explaining why recruitment is his biggest priority.   He starts of saying "Having , er, having  er, having ......."  but then can't think of how to go on.   I reckon he was about to say "Having had to clear out a lot of dead wood",  but must have wisely decided that it would be undiplomatic to slag off previous regimes,  so he stumbles a bit before settling  on  " er um er um ... a lot of players have moved on.."     

He's clearly excited to be in the job, has a clear vision of what a successful club looks like and knows his job is to build a team ethos.

Fair play.

Exactly what I thought. 

6 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It wouldn't be very eloquent, though, would it?

I think in those circumstances we would settle for better than MA and vaguely tuneful! I enjoyed the difference in manner between RG and his predecessor - now we all need to wait and see if he can deliver the way we all want

23 minutes ago, Daniro said:

Fair play.

He’s to to work on his “Nigel Pearson, touch ear, wry smile, ummm, yes” start to an answer, when he’s about to subtly criticise the former regime.  Crap poker player is Big Nige!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

He’s to to work on his “Nigel Pearson, touch ear, wry smile, ummm, yes” start to an answer, when he’s about to subtly criticise the former regime.  Crap poker player is Big Nige!

I've actually realised I've started unconsciously nicking Nigel Pearson mannerisms and using them in the workplace. I feel it's not always going down well!

I liked it for a first interview.

I think he was the right amount of eloquent.

Also was refreshing not having to listening to someone prefix every sentence with:

"As I always say ..."

"As I've said many times, ..."

"I was talking to Steve about this the other day, .."

Aint no one gonna miss that !

I liked the way he made a point of including the fans. Yes, I know it is probably a marketing strategy but over the last five years many have felt alienated from the club. I certainly did, with those statements from SL and obviously MA. Perhaps they’ve realised their mistake? (I’m thinking about the STs for disabled people and children, plus SL’s “I’ve put more money in than you” statement to fans.

5 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

If you had to find a positive thing to say about Ashton it is that he spoke eloquently.

And therein lies the problem. Smarmy gits tend to be eloquent speakers.

I wouldn’t necessarily say he was eloquent, just used a lot of words in a strange speech pattern and emphasis.

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I liked the way he made a point of including the fans. Yes, I know it is probably a marketing strategy but over the last five years many have felt alienated from the club. I certainly did, with those statements from SL and obviously MA. Perhaps they’ve realised their mistake? (I’m thinking about the STs for disabled people and children, plus SL’s “I’ve put more money in than you” statement to fans.

If I remember it correctly, SL didn’t say it quite like that.  I think it was in response to something along the lines of the fans spend a lot of money and weren’t happy (I can’t remember about what!). SL didn’t quite put his response as clearly as he could have done but my impression was he was basically saying “I’m not happy either and I’ve put even more in then them, so imagine how I feel”.  

5 minutes ago, YorksRed said:

If I remember it correctly, SL didn’t say it quite like that.  I think it was in response to something along the lines of the fans spend a lot of money and weren’t happy (I can’t remember about what!). SL didn’t quite put his response as clearly as he could have done but my impression was he was basically saying “I’m not happy either and I’ve put even more in then them, so imagine how I feel”.  

I don’t think he said it like that at all. I got the impression that he was telling us to shut up! He was very stubborn re LJ.

2 hours ago, soultrader said:

I liked it for a first interview.

I think he was the right amount of eloquent.

Also was refreshing not having to listening to someone prefix every sentence with:

"As I always say ..."

"As I've said many times, ..."

"I was talking to Steve about this the other day, .."

Aint no one gonna miss that !

"Let's be really clear..."

Archived