IGNORED

Away Goals Now Only Count Single

handsofclay

1 minute ago, CiderHeadDan said:

It’s crazy how far out of touch UEFA really are with the people who pay and watch the games. Away goals and the constantly changing scenario worked beautifully and I can’t see any reason to change something that wasn’t broken in the first place.

Could argue that fans like extra time and penalties - which this change of rule will undoubtedly result in more of - and so actually it appeals to fans more.

Also - more match time, more advertising! Ca'ching.

Just now, Coxy27 said:

Could argue that fans like extra time and penalties - which this change of rule will undoubtedly result in more of - and so actually it appeals to fans more.

Also - more match time, more advertising! Ca'ching.

True, I think penalties may appeal to some more, but I don’t think many people would say that extra time in general is an appealing factor. I may be wrong, just my view of course.

UEFA's argument is that there is less difference between playing home and away these days with better pitches etc and it has narrowed results wise in all leagues since 1965. Plus they say that it is actually counter productive as the team at home in the first leg now seem to play more cautiously for fear of conceding an away goal 

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

One of my mates is gonna be delighted.  To his mind winning 2-1 (h) but losing 4-2 (a) is a 6-6 draw.

”in the event of a draw” seems to be ignored.

Dave, there’s lies, damned lies, statistics, and then - way out in the distance -is your mate!

It could've been tweaked to make it 90 mins only. I always thought it unfair that the away team second leg had a big advantage going into extra time in that if they get one, the home team would have to get two to win it. 

I don't think it'll be as bad a thing as most make out, the play-offs don't have them, and I reckon they're the most entertaining matches all season. Both teams usually go for it. 

4 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

It could've been tweaked to make it 90 mins only. I always thought it unfair that the away team second leg had a big advantage going into extra time in that if they get one, the home team would have to get two to win it. 

I don't think it'll be as bad a thing as most make out, the play-offs don't have them, and I reckon they're the most entertaining matches all season. Both teams usually go for it. 

Playoffs are excellent, I wonder though...If you're 1-0 up vs a superior side away- say I dunno, let's pick an example- Lyon v Man City* in a CL knockout. You have won the 1st leg with a reasonable display and are a goal up going into the away leg- you will then go and park the bus in that 2nd leg- where's the incentive to even play a strong counterpressing game- I'm unsure this will improve the game but we'll see. Whereas sides in the playoffs are relatively evenly matched often- Cup ties, not so much.

*Although Lyon's recent record in that head to head is 2-1-0 and they had plenty of positivity...

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

UEFA have done away with the away goals counting double rule. In force since 1965. 

Before that, if the scores were level the winner was decided by tossing a disc.

Ok you've tied with Barcelona over two games but then call Heads when it should have been tails. That's why Away goals was dreamed up.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

The away goals rule was bought in to avoid sterile ‘ten men behind the ball’ tactics employed by the visiting team.

We will see how it changes the approach.

Exactly that. The only problem being the emphasis changed and the home team became the sterile ten men behind the ball so as not to concede an away goal.

Personally don't like extra time either as it favours the home side in the second leg.

On 24/06/2021 at 09:32, handsofclay said:

UEFA's argument is that there is less difference between playing home and away these days with better pitches etc and it has narrowed results wise in all leagues since 1965. Plus they say that it is actually counter productive as the team at home in the first leg now seem to play more cautiously for fear of conceding an away goal 

Or perhaps they have seen advanced warning of the lockdown plans for the next 10 years!

Empty stadia will return so its a great leveller.

Archived