IGNORED

Jersey the place to look

Jerseybean

Hopefully with Alex Scott we already have our first premier league footballer in the pipeline from the Channel Islands.

Not to turn this into a Jersey versus Guernsey thread but I have a friend who is a youth coach at a Guernsey club (same one Alex Scott played for).  Says Chelsea and Southampton are over there all the time and they have had a couple of players picked up by Man Utd so well worth scouting in that part of the world.

Edited by Port Red
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Port Red said:

Hopefully with Alex Scott we already have our first premier league footballer in the pipeline from the Channel Islands.

Not to turn this into a Jersey versus Guernsey thread but I have a friend who is a youth coach at a Guernsey club (same one Alex Scott played for).  Says Chelsea and Southampton are over there all the time and they have had a couple of players picked up by Man Utd so well worth scouting in that part of the world.

There are young players in Jersey being signed up, know of one school boy who Palace  signed about a year ago. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ashtonboy said:

A very small pool and most of the best footballers on the island are Madeira born with allegiance to the Portuguese clubs.

Sorry.....I don't get it?  What is the connection between Madeira and Jersey/Guernsey...am I missing something?

18 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Sorry.....I don't get it?  What is the connection between Madeira and Jersey/Guernsey...am I missing something?

During the 1960's Jersey signed an agreement with Madeira for individuals to settle on the island as 'staff' for the holiday trade. Therefore there is a significant number of 'Madeiran' individuals, and their families, now settled on the island.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Interesting figures, although that only shows Portuguese born residents. The extended Portuguese families which now probably extends to 4th or 5th generation would take the figure well beyond 7%.

I left the island in 2012 and it was widely accepted there was in excess of 15,000 people who considered themselves to be Madeiran/Portuguese or dual nationality from Venezuela or Brazil.

Lovely people and made many friends.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tonks55 said:

During the 1960's Jersey signed an agreement with Madeira for individuals to settle on the island as 'staff' for the holiday trade. Therefore there is a significant number of 'Madeiran' individuals, and their families, now settled on the island.

Thanks...........I did not know that.

16 hours ago, Tonks55 said:

So if we'd sorted out the connection earlier, we could've had Ronaldo!

16 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

On 24/06/2021 at 22:32, Ashtonboy said:

A very small pool and most of the best footballers on the island are Madeira born with allegiance to the Portuguese clubs.

Reminded me of my playing days in Jersey, every game against Jersey Portuguese FC (who folded in 2014) I was amazed they’d communicate throughout the game in their mother tongue until that is it came to letting the officials know what they thought. Their choice use of English on these occasions often resulted in cards being brandished. Always made me smile.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Reminded me of my playing days in Jersey, every game against Jersey Portuguese FC (who folded in 2014) I was amazed they’d communicate throughout the game in their mother tongue until that is it came to letting the officials know what they thought. Their choice use of English on these occasions often resulted in cards being brandished. Always made me smile.

I thought it was very funny that the use of swear words  by both men and women in the Portuguese population was unrestricted. The c word was used as liberally as any other and the significance of its use was lost in translation 

Southampton have had a great scouting policy in general, over the years, and the channel islands have been a success story for them on several occasions. 

I paid a visit to them some years ago now, as part of a piece of academic work that I was doing about the scouting and development of young players, and was very impressed with their approach to things. At the time they had several youngsters from our neck of the woods on their books.