IGNORED

Only in Swindon

Mrdc

1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

First and foremost most of all I'm a football supporter who doesn't want to see any club fold and have supported them since the mid 70's so they've been a large part of my life. I've been to numerous Swindon v Bristol City games both home and away and love the rivalry, banter and Derby experience and have had many good days at Ashton Gate when you were in the old league one 76-80. 

I get why many would want us out of the football league but I'm sure many older BCFC fans have their own memories and stories to tell after games against us as there's always been an edge without the hostility of say a Cardiff City. 

One of my earliest memories was of Glynn Riley scoring a equaliser at the County ground. I was stood at the front when he jumped onto the fencing, I joked with him many years later that he nearly killed me.

I also recall a 1-0 win with Junior " can't hit a cows arse with a banjo" Bent scoring.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Elruliri said:

One of my earliest memories was of Glynn Riley scoring a equaliser at the County ground. I was stood at the front when he jumped onto the fencing, I joked with him many years later that he nearly killed me.

I also recall a 1-0 win with Junior " can't hit a cows arse with a banjo" Bent scoring.

Junior Bent now that's an old name I haven't heard for years super quick but like a lot of small pacey wingers often fail to deliver a decent cross into the box

Edited by Shaun Taylor
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Elruliri said:

Where there's blame, there's a claim.

Try for at least £1M. Possibly more to compensate for all those years of PTSD.

If you succeed, you can buy me a Glynn & tonic.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

First and foremost most of all I'm a football supporter who doesn't want to see any club fold and have supported them since the mid 70's so they've been a large part of my life. I've been to numerous Swindon v Bristol City games both home and away and love the rivalry, banter and Derby experience and have had many good days at Ashton Gate when you were in the old league one 76-80. 

I get why many would want us out of the football league but I'm sure many older BCFC fans have their own memories and stories to tell after games against us as there's always been an edge without the hostility of say a Cardiff City. 

I hate you C**** with a passion! 

But..... I wouldn't wanna see you or any club go out of business, Its just not right! Some of my best mates are Swindle fans and I wouldn't wanna see them with a void in their lives. I enjoy it too much to see you gone..... so do us all a favour, get relegated about 3 leagues but don't disappear anytime soon! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Where there's blame, there's a claim.

Try for at least £1M. Possibly more to compensate for all those years of PTSD.

If you succeed, you can buy me a Glynn & tonic.

I like your thinking lols, I should still get a million for watching City for 40 odd years, like many others. Coyrs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

I hate you C**** with a passion! 

But..... I wouldn't wanna see you or any club go out of business, Its just not right! Some of my best mates are Swindle fans and I wouldn't wanna see them with a void in their lives. I enjoy it too much to see you gone..... so do us all a favour, get relegated about 3 leagues but don't disappear anytime soon! 

3 leagues we're be lower than Swindon Supermarine! I know you hate us but you can't deny you enjoy the fun when you play us so surely you wouldn't want that experience gone forever!

9 minutes ago, Banned User said:

The problem with Powers statement it dosen't say what's caused the delay and why the money hasn't been transferred and what potential skeletons Clems Lawyers may have found during their due diligence.

Edited by Shaun Taylor

3 hours ago, Will Rollason said:

As a newbie to this could someone do me an ELI5 ( explain like I'm five)?

Which doesn't literally mean like I'm a five year old but give me a brief precis...?

This looks to be the stereotypical game that happens when a cash-strapped seller of a club wants to receive top dollar but the buyer wants to pay the absolute minimum and it is therefore in their interest to hold back until the club is placed into administration.

The current owner looks to be running out of funds, players and staff were not paid last month, so all the buyer has to do is wait and they will be able to buy the club at a rock bottom price and put the money saved into the club rather than the pocket of the seller.

These games always run the same way with fans fearing that their club may fold - you may remember the "don't let Torquay die!" fundraising efforts - when all that is really happening is the jockeying between a motivated seller apparently running out of funds and a canny buyer wanting to buy at fire sale prices. 

Usually when the buyer is in the position of strength that this buyer appears to be they will simply sit back and let the club go into administration before taking over as, with no other buyers in the frame, this is going to be their cheapest option.

It doesn't matter if half the squad and staff have gone because the buyer has the money set aside to re-employ them.

One interesting factor will be the approach taken by Swindon council who are owed IIRC £1.5m of back rent on the County Ground.  The buyer will be looking to negotiate with them to have this reduced or waived because without this, they will claim, the takeover "cannot" take place.

Which would effectively mean that Swindon council tax payers will be part-funding the takeover to the tune of £1.5m.

Tell me the old old story.....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

This looks to be the stereotypical game that happens when a cash-strapped seller of a club wants to receive top dollar but the buyer wants to pay the absolute minimum and it is therefore in their interest to hold back until the club is placed into administration.

The current owner looks to be running out of funds, players and staff were not paid last month, so all the buyer has to do is wait and they will be able to buy the club at a rock bottom price and put the money saved into the club rather than the pocket of the seller.

These games always run the same way with fans fearing that their club may fold - you may remember the "don't let Torquay die!" fundraising efforts - when all that is really happening is the jockeying between a motivated seller apparently running out of funds and a canny buyer wanting to buy at fire sale prices. 

Usually when the buyer is in the position of strength that this buyer appears to be they will simply sit back and let the club go into administration before taking over as, with no other buyers in the frame, this is going to be their cheapest option.

It doesn't matter if half the squad and staff have gone because the buyer has the money set aside to re-employ them.

One interesting factor will be the approach taken by Swindon council who are owed IIRC £1.5m of back rent on the County Ground.  The buyer will be looking to negotiate with them to have this reduced or waived because without this, they will claim, the takeover "cannot" take place.

Which would effectively mean that Swindon council tax payers will be part-funding the takeover to the tune of £1.5m.

I think you're pretty spot on with your assessment 

Edited by Shaun Taylor
Change spelling
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I'd rather merge with Chippenham! 

Nobody wants to merge with Rovers. I don't understand why, they're loved the whole world over by everyone that doesn't support City, have the 6th richest owner in England, and own their own plot of land*.

Merge with them, and you'd have Championship ready sprinklers, new tarmac, a nice new TV (just remember to take the bracket for it because that caused months of headscratching for them), and a Santa's toilet grotto. They'd be getting 4 permanent stands if they move in with you, and granted they're not much to shout about these days, but it will be like playing at Wembley for them!

*It's a bit of land with temporary structures on it. I refuse to refer to it as a stadium/ground, or anything else that hints at it being anything other than a piece of land.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

As long as a stadium is available for them to play at there is little chance of a club folding because an Administrator will usually be able to find a new investor to take over.

However a problem would arise if, for example, the land on which the stadium stood was commercially valuable  and it’s owner held a legal charge so could sell it for development leaving the Administrator trying to offer the club as a going concern with an impossible task.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bert tann said:

As long as a stadium is available for them to play at there is little chance of a club folding because an Administrator will usually be able to find a new investor to take over.

However a problem would arise if, for example, the land on which the stadium stood was commercially valuable  and it’s owner held a legal charge so could sell it for development leaving the Administrator trying to offer the club as a going concern with an impossible task.

It is fortunate that no clubs in Bristol might find themselves in such an invidious position.

• Thanks 1

On 03/07/2021 at 13:40, Elruliri said:

One of my earliest Ashton Gate memories is Don Rogers running us ragged!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Funny that it mentions Bury because I was going to suggest emulating their fans.

Set up a fans' consortium owned Swindon Town 2021 in non-league and work your way back up; rent the ground off the council as did the previous company.

The current legal entity doesn't even own the ground so if the fans depart to another club then it may as well be wound up at nil value.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I know it's only pre season, but OMG

Swindon Town lose 3-2 to Hungerford Town in pre-season friendly | Swindon Advertiser

Conceding THREE to Hungerford....

We have no players so fielded mainly youth and a couple of trialist. Also a couple of pros refuse to train as they haven't been paid 

Edited by Shaun Taylor