IGNORED

Only in Swindon

Mrdc

On 15/07/2021 at 08:51, Bcfc3660 said:

I live in Swindon, 24 years now but been a City fan for, well, ever. I used to have a Bristol City flag in my works van and collect materials from building merchants where the staff were proper obnoxious Swindon fans. It’s a shame to see any club go supernova but I don’t feel sorry for the fans. Balls to them.

Fair enough, you've got reasons to hate them, me,they mean nothing to me one way or another. Yes, I hated them that November, but it would have been the same if it were Rochdale or Crawley doing that crap ! I don't recognise them as a local team, unlike the sags or even Cardiff .

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Massive sympathy for anyone going through that. Imagine that was our club? We have been through similar not long ago at all.  

Exactly and Swindon fans bring up 82 every time you speak to them and how they wish it happened 

Trust me being a city fan living in Wiltshire I’d love to see them go under 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Exactly and Swindon fans bring up 82 every time you speak to them and how they wish it happened 

Trust me being a city fan living in Wiltshire I’d love to see them go under 

Not disputing what you say as there's idiots at every club but all I ever hear is begrudging admiration for your stadium, training facilities and wealthy owner. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Red Ferret said:

I live in Swindon and can assure you most of their fans don't give a second thought about City or their fans. Think they have bigger things to worry about tbh 

They have. Might not even have a team to support unless the ownership is sorted quickly.

1 hour ago, Red Shadow said:

Yes a lot of people remember it but I would imagine more don't. You said 'not long ago at all'. 40 years is hardly that.

Semantics. 

If you wish other clubs to go bankrupt you are taking football rivalry far too seriously.  We are all football fans and peoples football clubs can be extremely important to them. 

We are all one terrible owner away from bankruptcy 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Semantics. 

If you wish other clubs to go bankrupt you are taking football rivalry far too seriously.  We are all football fans and peoples football clubs can be extremely important to them. 

Derby matches are what make football atmospheric and I'm sure you would rather play Swindon where there is a bit of an edge over say a MK Dons or Wigan 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Semantics. 

I agree. I would never want to see any club disappear. We all have our rivals and we can detest them but football clubs are a key part of society.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Did JJW not go there? I hope he walked or is he clinging to hope of getting paid.

And is there any chance Swindon can start the season?

As far as I'm aware JJW is there but a few of the remaining pros including Pittman refused to train until they got paid.

we're hearing the deal for the Australian businessman to takeover is close to being concluded but has hit legal problems regarding Powers reluctance to being open about various debts etc.

Unless this is sorted out within the next couple of days you would imagine our opening game/s will have to be called off or even worse we get kicked out of the league.

As far as I'm aware we're supposed to be playing a friendly at Supermarine tonight but then again who really knows!

Swindon, more than any club, seem to have sailed close to the wind financially for a long time, back to Macari's time IIRC and maybe before that.

If any club were more likely than others to go 'pop', I wouldn't be surprised if it was STFC.

I don't have much time for STFC but the few fans that are on here seem genuinely nice people so, for them, I hope Swindon survive but I can see a Bury situation happening here. Sorry ST.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Swindon, more than any club, seem to have sailed close to the wind financially for a long time, back to Macari's time IIRC and maybe before that.

If any club were more likely than others to go 'pop', I wouldn't be surprised if it was STFC.

I don't have much time for STFC but the few fans that are on here seem genuinely nice people so, for them, I hope Swindon survive but I can see a Bury situation happening here. Sorry ST.

I think you're right we've sailed close to being wound up many times and for me it all stared in the Lou Macari and has continued on & off ever since with a few good years in between. We hit rock bottom in the early 80's when you had your own problems but that wasn't down to anything financial or owner related.

Things could definitely go either way for us over th next couple of weeks and no idea which way that will be but one thing for sure is things are never quiet at this football club!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

As far as I'm aware JJW is there but a few of the remaining pros including Pittman refused to train until they got paid.

we're hearing the deal for the Australian businessman to takeover is close to being concluded but has hit legal problems regarding Powers reluctance to being open about various debts etc.

Unless this is sorted out within the next couple of days you would imagine our opening game/s will have to be called off or even worse we get kicked out of the league.

As far as I'm aware we're supposed to be playing a friendly at Supermarine tonight but then again who really knows!

thats really sad I think. Lee Power has a lot to answer for

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I believe he is still there.

Rene Gilmartin, however, who went there as assistant manager, left within days.

I hope JJW didn't sign because Rene persuaded him, that would have been a bit harsh on a youngster.

2 hours ago, TMWANG50 said:

Yes he's still there, scored an outrageous own goal in a freindly the other day

Maybe his mind is elsewhere, looked good every time I saw him.

32 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I hope JJW didn't sign because Rene persuaded him, that would have been a bit harsh on a youngster.

I seem to recall he played a game on loan last season so, presumably, there was already some form of connection.

Nevertheless, an unfortunate introduction to his first start in a first team squad. 

On 17/07/2021 at 21:18, And Its Smith said:

Semantics. 

id love to see rovers go bankrupt ,vile club vile fans football would be a far better place without those scumbags roaming around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1