IGNORED

10 German bombers

Robin-hugh-blind

16 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

Agree with where your coming from mate and just glad Facebook etc was not about 30 years ago with things I got up to . England away back then was 10 time better but so was watching city ... football has changed I look at pictures of when I first started going and very very few women went were now a lot more go and I think that’s makes a big difference. But one thing never changes and that is the fun I have going away and meting all the guys you mentioned above plus folk from other clubs iv meet over the years in fact I’m going with a leeds fan Tuesday that I meet in Poland in 91 . I will probably know you but very few go under there name on here admittedly my real name is not stick but who the Fock knows jason :laugh:

And these songs are just noise. There is no malice or spite behind them. Its not the singing of the Sash from real nutters who support real nutters in Ulster. You and I would have heard that decades ago. That has gone. This noise is football panto, virtually nobody takes this seriously, sticking your arms out imitating a bomber really does not mean individuals want to bomb Dresden again. Anybody that really thinks there is anything sinister behind silly sings, and they are silly need to give their heads a wobble.  

What is behind this is snobbery. We don't like you and your noisy bawdy class. Sit down, shut up and please  join in the Mexican waves and the FA authorised display sponsored by McDonalds instead of booing. That is the politically correct safe space authority wants with complaint robots (customers) as fans.  

Enjoy Tuesday fella.

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Well said.

No wonder a lot of the rest of the world dislike us as a country.

Germany is not proud of the Nazi party uprising under Hitler, they try to educate their folk that it was a terrible thing.  We are uneducated, “we won the war” bollocks.

Oh come on, I expect a hell of a lot more countries dislike Germany, and for good reason - it's not as though they learnt their lesson after WW1.

No, let's start another war 20 years later and inevitably have another generation of young men slaughtered.

If people in this country are 'uneducated'  about the World Wars that's the fault of schools. Every following generation should be informed and be incredibly proud of this country for the huge part it's people played in curbing German aggression on 2 occasions.

'We won the war', well thank God we did.

As for the German national team - there's no country I'd take more pleasure in England beating.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Oh come on, I expect a hell of a lot more countries dislike Germany, and for good reason - it's not as though they learnt their lesson after WW1.

No, let's start another war 20 years later and inevitably have another generation of young men slaughtered.

Try living in the present day

24 minutes ago, 054123 said:

This makes me piss myself!

Scottish independence is based largely on backward looking, emotive nonsense, there’s nothing progressive about it.

Show me the group of people where this doesn’t happen?

Labelling it as an ‘English’ thing is an uneducated point that verges on hilarity.

And the french still sing a song about a war that happened over two hundred years ago .

3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Is the whole Bristol City forum now political.  Getting tiresome 

Indeed, a lot of posts are turning that way. Politics is everywhere at the moment and so divisive it’s turning me off TV, Sport and now football forums. I tend to come on here for a break from all that. 

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

Is the whole Bristol City forum now political.  Getting tiresome 

Tiresome it is, but you can't avoid it.

It dominates absolutely everywhere, and OTIB not immune unfortunately.

12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If people in this country are 'uneducated'  about the World Wars that's the fault of schools. Every following generation should be informed and be incredibly proud of this country for the huge part it's people played in curbing German aggression on 2 occasions.

'We won the war', well thank God we did.

As for the German national team - there's no country I'd take more pleasure in England beating.

I think most other countries seem to have gotten over it:   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22624104

6 minutes ago, Jim Davey said:

And the french still sing a song about a war that happened over two hundred years ago .

Most of their songs are about Brothels and sheep burnings.

A compromise would be start with five German Bombers, see how that goes..

10 hours ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

England fans signing this at Wembley are going to be banned.

My view, sod that! Sing it louder than ever. 

Lest we forget!

This is a reminder of a horrible war but why try and erase history. Make sure it never happens again by remembering. 

For those who say it's political, its not. It's a matter of fact. There were German bombers, the RAF did shoot them down. This isn't a view or opinion. 

Wars not political now? Ok

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Silliness aside, I don’t get this thread at all. I don’t imagine the Danes are going to be singing songs about the Vikings and the Celts later. I’ve never heard France sing about arrows in people’s eyes during an England - France game so why would we sing about World War II.

What is notable to me is I’ve never heard someone who actually fought in World War II sing it and the point was made earlier that many who did fight in the war understood the gravity of was not to be trivialised.

It seems to be exclusively sung by those too young to have fought in the war who want to claim credit for a victory they did nothing to bring about. It‘s not necessarily offensive but it is certainly embarrassing and disrespectful to those who made sacrifices and suffered losses in World War II.

check out the French national  anthem its a lot worse than 10 German bombers

2 hours ago, walnutroof said:

I happened to cycle past a pub yesterday where people were signing this loudly and it just sounded so cringey, why can’t England fans sing something that’s positive like the welsh and scots fans seem to manage to 

Ooh ooh the Scots & Welsh . Give it a rest ffs. They’re just as bad as us if not worse. Even in the jock national anthem . Do you know some of the words to flower of Scotland ? . Yes 10 German bombers belongs on the past but please stop with this bollocks about the Celts being somehow better or more passionate . 

7 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Indeed, a lot of posts are turning that way. Politics is everywhere at the moment and so divisive it’s turning me off TV, Sport and now football forums. I tend to come on here for a break from all that. 

Tough times I know. But feel exactly the same 

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

The obsession with war in this country is ******* weird

? I take it you’ve never visited any other group of humans, on any continent?

But the obsession with a conflict that brought about the death of near enough an entire generation, followed by another conflict with exactly the same protagonist barely 20 years later, which again saw not only another drawn out war but this saw the attempted extermination of pretty much most minority ethnicities in Western Europe, followed by 15 years of hardship, is strange. You’d think everybody would just forget about it and moved on?

4 hours ago, Loco Rojo said:

What the **** are you talking about?  Being told not to sing it is not trying to erase history. Singing a chant about WW2 at a football match just because we're playing the Germans is ******* tin pot. Time and place - that chant doesn't pay any form of respect. It's meant to antagonise opposition fans (the vast majority of which I'm sure are hugely ashamed of their countries history). This is intended not to pay respect but try to stir up trouble. 

Lest we forget??? Chanting that at a football match does not show respect to the memory of the heros and innocent victims (on boths sides) of WW2. 

This is right up there with The Sun/Dailymail sensationalist headlines that will probably reference the Hun/ dad's army at some point.

Excellent post.

10 minutes ago, dREDful said:

This forum has turned to shit with non-stop sixth form politic bollocks. 

I bet some of you bore everyone around you on a night out. 

Bold of you to assume I get invited on nights out!

24 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think most other countries seem to have gotten over it:   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22624104

I was suprised reading that that the UK was the 3rd most popular nation, then noticed it was 2013 and just after the London Olympics. I would bet on that having changed dramatically over the last 5 years!

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

Because English nationalism is completely backward looking, hankering after a past when (through very rose tinted glasses) we were a 'great nation'. English nationalism's view of the future is largely about going back to the 40s, the 50s or whatever. Scottish and Welsh nationalism is much more progressive, looking forward to a better future.

Like owain glyndwr, burning English homes and businesses that are situated in Wales, the argument being Wales for the Welsh only, not racist at all.

All extremism is pathetic and undignified, that includes the Germans and their disturbingly high number of neo nazis.

9 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I was suprised reading that that the UK was the 3rd most popular nation, then noticed it was 2013 and just after the London Olympics. I would bet on that having changed dramatically over the last 5 years!

Possibly. 

This is all part of the tedious "culture wars" isn't it, designed to distract people from what is really going on in this country?

I wouldn't ban this song or any of the commonly sung songs by England supporters, no matter how cringey and childish I find them.

Nonetheless, the WW2 obsession plus the continual droning on of God Save the Queen are two of a number of reasons why I am not interested in watching England play live.

I watched England play a number of internationals when I was a kid and I can't remember either featuring. I wonder when it started?

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Possibly. 

This is all part of the tedious "culture wars" isn't it, designed to distract people from what is really going on in this country?

I wouldn't ban this song or any of the commonly sung songs by England supporters, no matter how cringey and childish I find them.

Nonetheless, the WW2 obsession plus the continual droning on of God Save the Queen are two of a number of reasons why I am not interested in watching England play live.

I watched England play a number of internationals when I was a kid and I can't remember either featuring. I wonder when it started?

Isn’t our national anthem a bore?

Even musically, it’s such a difficult piece to sing. 

I’d happily change it. 

3 hours ago, walnutroof said:

I happened to cycle past a pub yesterday where people were signing this loudly and it just sounded so cringey, why can’t England fans sing something that’s positive like the welsh and scots fans seem to manage to 

Bloody cyclists :whistle:

17 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Nonetheless, the WW2 obsession

I don’t think there’s an obsession. 

Ignoring fringe elements (that exist in every context) The period 1914-1960 (46 years!) we’re pretty much defined by the two horrific world wars, the likes of which are impossible for us to comprehend (my Nan telling stories of the fear of going to sleep every night for 3 years and having no idea if the next morning she’d be alive or conquered, is something I’ll never hopefully experience). For my Grandparents, their lives were defined by the two world wars, for my parents born in the late 40s, it directly affected them, therefor for me there is a link, for my children, it’s just history.

That’s the way it goes.

The Norman conquest of Britain is something in a text book, but for the immediate generations after, it was real.

If I’m honest, most people I’ve know have admiration for today’s Germany. It’s like we’re siblings that occasionally row ??

4 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Isn’t our national anthem a bore?

Even musically, it’s such a difficult piece to sing. 

I’d happily change it. 

Ditto.

Leaving aside it's the UK national anthem, not even a song specific to England, it's dreary and obsequious. 

A different tune needed please.  Maybe Jerusalem, like England play at the Commonwealth Games and before cricket tests.

11 hours ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

England fans signing this at Wembley are going to be banned.

My view, sod that! Sing it louder than ever. 

Lest we forget!

This is a reminder of a horrible war but why try and erase history. Make sure it never happens again by remembering. 

For those who say it's political, its not. It's a matter of fact. There were German bombers, the RAF did shoot them down. This isn't a view or opinion. 

Deaf England fans? ?

1 minute ago, 054123 said:

Ignoring fringe elements (that exist in every context) The first 1914-1960 we’re pretty much defined by the two horrific world wars, the likes of which are impossible for us to comprehend (my Nan telling stories of the fear of going to sleep every night for 3 years and having no idea if the next morning she’d be alive or conquered, is something I’ll never hopefully experience). For my Grandparents, their lives were defined by the second world wars, for my parents born in the late 40s, it directly affected them, therefor for me there is a link, for my children, it’s just history.

That’s the way it goes.

The Norman conquest of Britain is something in a text book, but for the immediate generations after, it was real.

If I’m honest, most people I’ve know have admiration for today’s Germany. It’s like we’re siblings that occasionally row ??

Why even mention the war during a football match though?  It was so long ago, none of the players' grandparents probably fought in it.

As I say, I wouldn't "ban" such songs. I just wished we'd move on to other stuff.

We don't have to forget the history or the sacrifices, but maybe there are better ways of keeping the memory alive than lame football 'banter'. 

10 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Why even mention the war during a football match though?  It was so long ago, none of the players' grandparents probably fought in it.

As I say, I wouldn't "ban" such songs. I just wished we'd move on to other stuff.

We don't have to forget the history or the sacrifices, but maybe there are better ways of keeping the memory alive than lame football 'banter'. 

Don’t disagree.

I said previously it’s tinpot.

I just don’t think there’s an awful lot to be read into it.

I don’t think it’s offensive and warrants banning orders or clutching of pearls and don’t think it demonstrates or highlights any wider social trends. It pisses me off how this is then used to draw comments generalizing a whole society or country. It you tried to do it about any other group it wouldn’t be acceptable.

This country is a fantastic place by any metric and has improved in just my short 40 year existence. I’m sure it will continue to get better.

The biggest threat to it right now is income inequality IMO and they effects us all.

Archived