IGNORED

10 German bombers

Robin-hugh-blind

17 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I don’t think it’s offensive and warrants banning orders or clutching of pearls and don’t think it demonstrates or highlights any wider social trends. It pisses me off how this is then used to draw comments generalizing a whole society or country. It you tried to do it about any other group it wouldn’t be acceptable.

I think the only people that really like to be offended by it are the press, because they know that stories such as this really annoy some people and sells more papers/generates more clicks.

I would imagine most people find it a bit strange that some football fans are still singing about the war and think it's relevant somehow, but at the same time it has been a part of following England for a long time and is almost more of a tradition amongst some fans now rather than anything meaningful.

Referring to the war whenever we have anything to do with Germany (post Fawlty Towers) is, for me, incredibly cringeworthy though.

Just now, richwwtk said:

I think the only people that really like to be offended by it are the press, because they know that stories such as this really annoy some people and sells more papers/generates more clicks.

I would imagine most people find it a bit strange that some football fans are still singing about the war and think it's relevant somehow, but at the same time it has been a part of following England for a long time and is almost more of a tradition amongst some fans now rather than anything meaningful.

Referring to the war whenever we have anything to do with Germany (post Fawlty Towers) is, for me, incredibly cringeworthy though.

Agreed, if anything it makes me laugh. The moment the fixture was confirmed, one of our WhatsApp group posted ‘10 German bombers…’ in a post modernist way, highlighting how it’s just become a parody of itself and signposting this kind of thread. My dad’s side of the family live in Canada and have strong British/German roots and my uncle immediately asked if the press had dusted off their pictures of spitfires, highlighting the hilarity of it.

I don’t care much for the song but lots of the shit football fans do and sing is moronic so I never understand why this song in particular gets people’s knickers in a twist. In fact not just songs, some of the stuff people write in here about BRFC and their fans is beyond bizarre when viewed through a rational, non-football lens.

It’s just a group of, usually boozed up blokes, engaging in nonsense (yeah okay some herberts are dead serious and riled with it). Now it’s just a bit of a parody, in fact the whole England v Germany thing is and the Germans I know see it that way.

3 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

I don’t care much for the song but lots of the shit football fans do and sing is moronic so I never understand why this song in particular gets people’s knickers in a twist. In fact not just songs, some of the stuff people write in here about BRFC and their fans is beyond bizarre when viewed through a rational, non-football lens.

It’s just a group of, usually boozed up blokes, engaging in nonsense (yeah okay some herberts are dead serious and riled with it). Now it’s just a bit of a parody, in fact the whole England v Germany thing is and the Germans I know see it that way.

Agreed. 

one of my aunties is German and loves us Brits as a whole, she finds our ‘embarrassment’ about our shared history hilarious and ‘very British’ ?

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Tiresome it is, but you can't avoid it.

It dominates absolutely everywhere, and OTIB not immune unfortunately.

Yep.

A children's song, originally sung by schoolchildren during ww2, no doubt to keep their spirits up during their darkest of days. 

Still, gives people something to whine about. 

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Ditto.

Leaving aside it's the UK national anthem, not even a song specific to England, it's dreary and obsequious. 

A different tune needed please.  Maybe Jerusalem, like England play at the Commonwealth Games and before cricket tests.

Or Wet Dream by Max Romeo. A real catchy tune with deep meaning words. I could well imagine Southgate and the team singing along to that!

2 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

Like owain glyndwr, burning English homes and businesses that are situated in Wales, the argument being Wales for the Welsh only, not racist at all.

All extremism is pathetic and undignified, that includes the Germans and their disturbingly high number of neo nazis.

To be fair, that is largely confined to what used to be East Germany and is generally despised by the majority of Germans. 

5 hours ago, Three Lions said:

phew surfing servicemen across crowds like Bristol City did while humming the dambusters tune in a Munich beer hall before the 5-2 is still ok.

5 hours ago, Three Lions said:

phew surfing servicemen across crowds like Bristol City did while humming the dambusters tune in a Munich beer hall before the 5-1 is still ok.

Will the England band set list have to be a pc as well?

Two attempts, still made no sense

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

To be fair, that is largely confined to what used to be East Germany and is generally despised by the majority of Germans. 

Think the majority of people living in Berlin may have a problem with that statement.  It’s been more confined to Dresden and Chemnitz and even then there is a lot of activism to try and counter it.  

3 hours ago, 054123 said:

This country is a fantastic place by any metric and has improved in just my short 40 year existence. I’m sure it will continue to get better.

Don't agree with this one mate.

Ban it.

Cancel it.

Virtue signal about everything.

Apologise for everything.

This country has gone to sh*t in the last 20 years or so, now completely polarised with 2 distinct factions who will be arguing with each other about everything ad infinitum.

No time to enjoy life, we're all too busy arguing, and the internet has made it so much worse.

We do not live in a contented country, and unfortunately I can only see it getting much worse.

9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Don't agree with this one mate.

Ban it.

Cancel it.

Virtue signal about everything.

Apologise for everything.

This country has gone to sh*t in the last 20 years or so, now completely polarised with 2 distinct factions who will be arguing with each other about everything ad infinitum.

No time to enjoy life, we're all too busy arguing, and the internet has made it so much worse.

We do not live in a contented country, and unfortunately I can only see it getting much worse.

Show me where’s it better.

Show me when this country was better.

15 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Show me where’s it better.

Show me when this country was better.

It's subjective of course - I think this country was 'better', more contented, less daily conflict up to 20 years ago.

If you disagree with parts of my previous post please specify and expand your argument.

7 hours ago, italian dave said:

Because English nationalism is completely backward looking, hankering after a past when (through very rose tinted glasses) we were a 'great nation'. English nationalism's view of the future is largely about going back to the 40s, the 50s or whatever. Scottish and Welsh nationalism is much more progressive, looking forward to a better future.

This is a laughable post, made even more dumb by your last sentence.

You do know the lyrics to 'Flower of Scotland' right? The Scots still sing that one, even as recently as last week.

(I quite like the tune to Flower of Scotland for the record)

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's subjective of course - I think this country was 'better', more contented, less daily conflict up to 20 years ago.

If you disagree with parts of my previous post please specify and expand your argument.

definatley better country to  grow up in in the 1970s ,compared to now 

8 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Absolutely.

In that you may have no problem with the banning, cancelling and apologising for everything culture, and don't believe it leads to conflict, and impinges on both freedom of speech and quality of daily life.

My opinion is all those things are dragging us down as a country.

8 hours ago, walnutroof said:

I happened to cycle past a pub yesterday where people were signing this loudly and it just sounded so cringey, why can’t England fans sing something that’s positive like the welsh and scots fans seem to manage to 

have you ever heard what the welsh and scottish fans sing 

Archived