IGNORED

Le Tour 2021

Antman

A question for all you Tour buffs. 
If watching a live stage, do you prefer the Eurosport coverage or the ITV4 coverage?  

I’ve always been a Eurosport man myself - used to love the days of David Duffield and his ramblings. I tend to watch the live stage on Eurosport but then also watch the ITV highlights show to see if there’s any slightly different perspective. 
For whatever reason I just don’t like the itv live coverage - I don’t rate Boulting as a commentator (he’s a decent presenter for snippets and articles etc, but not full comms). 

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

If watching a live stage, do you prefer the Eurosport coverage or the ITV4 coverage?  

I’ve always been a Eurosport man myself - used to love the days of David Duffield and his ramblings. I tend to watch the live stage on Eurosport but then also watch the ITV highlights show to see if there’s any slightly different perspective. 
For whatever reason I just don’t like the itv live coverage - I don’t rate Boulting as a commentator (he’s a decent presenter for snippets and articles etc, but not full comms). 

Eurosport all the way for me - i do like the itv4 highlight package though 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Eurosport all the way when I’m at home with Sky. In the office we’re stuck with ITV4 SD but it still does the job. Do like their evening highlights package tho. 

Both do really well when you actually think about it - talking irrelevant nonsense for best part of 4-5 hours most days ?

Prefer ITV4. I find David Millar more knowledgeable than Sean Kelly despite his lesser palmares.

Kelly says much the same every day.

Don't like the exaggerated pronunciation by Rob Hatch either.

So mainly ITV4 with many and frequent switches to Sky 410 to avoid the ads!

4 hours ago, Harry said:

I watch Eurosport for all the cycling, spring classics included. But I love ITV’s coverage and the highlights package is second to none, IMO. It hasn’t changed much since I started watching it on Channel 4 with Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen during the Indurain era in the early ‘90s.

2 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

Prefer ITV4. I find David Millar more knowledgeable than Sean Kelly despite his lesser palmares.

Kelly says much the same every day.

Don't like the exaggerated pronunciation by Rob Hatch either.

So mainly ITV4 with many and frequent switches to Sky 410 to avoid the ads!

Agree wholeheartedly. Its ITV4 for Le Tour for me. Mind you some of Orla's outfits make for interesting viewing. 

42 minutes ago, tin said:

I watch Eurosport for all the cycling, spring classics included. But I love ITV’s coverage and the highlights package is second to none, IMO. It hasn’t changed much since I started watching it on Channel 4 with Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen during the Indurain era in the early ‘90s.

Ah Channel 4 coverage! That’s set the nostalgia off 

42 minutes ago, TomF said:

Ah Channel 4 coverage! That’s set the nostalgia off 

Hell yeah. 
My earliest memories are from the 1984 tour. I remember the Robert Millar stage, Laurent Fignon winning, but it was from 1985 that my memory starts to really recall, Sean Kelly in green, Roche involved in the mountains.  Then 86 and Lemond’s victory. 
I’ll forever remember being mesmerised by the sights of the peloton, the scenic views of France, the fiercest mountains (they seemed so much harder back then), the wonderful names of John Paul Van Poppel, Eric Vanderaerden, Luis Herrera, Guido Bontempi, Jean-Francois Bernard etc. 
Pedro Delgado’s brutal acceleration on the climbs, then the Indurain era. That Mondrian inspired jersey. Superb. 
As a kid I used to set up marble races, and have some amazing sprint finishes, where Kelly would usually just pip Van Poppel to the line on the last roll!! 
Liggett & Sherwen were a massive part of my early childhood. 

I switched to the Eurosport coverage in the early 90’s. I enjoyed their live coverage but always loved the channel 4 highlights too. I tried the itv live coverage a few times but maybe it’s the nostalgia of Liggett & Sherwen that puts me off of Boulting - plus the adverts every 3 minutes!!  That got on my nerves. 
So yeah, Eurosport for me on the live feed but then always do the itv highlights too. I like Imlach. Boardman has always been decent. I wasn’t sure about Kennaugh at first but he’s growing on me a bit. 

I just don’t think anything will ever compare to those mid to late 80’s, when the camera was often clouded or covered in rain, you had no idea of the time gaps until the motorbike passenger showed it on the blackboard, the mountains just seemed so much trickier - possibly a combination these days of better road surfaces and bikes that are about a quarter of the weight they were back then. Oh the nostalgia ?

8 hours ago, Harry said:

Hell yeah. 
My earliest memories are from the 1984 tour. I remember the Robert Millar stage, Laurent Fignon winning, but it was from 1985 that my memory starts to really recall, Sean Kelly in green, Roche involved in the mountains.  Then 86 and Lemond’s victory. 
I’ll forever remember being mesmerised by the sights of the peloton, the scenic views of France, the fiercest mountains (they seemed so much harder back then), the wonderful names of John Paul Van Poppel, Eric Vanderaerden, Luis Herrera, Guido Bontempi, Jean-Francois Bernard etc. 
Pedro Delgado’s brutal acceleration on the climbs, then the Indurain era. That Mondrian inspired jersey. Superb. 
As a kid I used to set up marble races, and have some amazing sprint finishes, where Kelly would usually just pip Van Poppel to the line on the last roll!! 

I switched to the Eurosport coverage in the early 90’s. I enjoyed their live coverage but always loved the channel 4 highlights too. I tried the itv live coverage a few times but maybe it’s the nostalgia of Liggett & Sherwen that puts me off of Boulting - plus the adverts every 3 minutes!!  That got on my nerves. 
So yeah, Eurosport for me on the live feed but then always do the itv highlights too. I like Imlach. Boardman has always been decent. I wasn’t sure about Kennaugh at first but he’s growing on me a bit. 

I just don’t think anything will ever compare to those mid to late 80’s, when the camera was often clouded or covered in rain, you had no idea of the time gaps until the motorbike passenger showed it on the blackboard, the mountains just seemed so much trickier - possibly a combination these days of better road surfaces and bikes that are about a quarter of the weight they were back then. Oh the nostalgia ?

Had to be done:

10 hours ago, Harry said:

Hell yeah. 

Boulting annoys me, too. But Millar's insights are so much better than anything on Eurosport's commentary team, IMO. Sean Kelly bores the hell out me and some of the Eurosport commentators' pronounciations rile me. Gary Imlach's also been presenting ITV's highlights show for as long as I can remember, and Boardman been analysing since he retired. I like that consistency. I thought Kennaugh was a bit wooden to begin with, but he's been much better this year.

I fell in love with the Tour during the Indurain era, idolised Pantani, despised Virenque and Armstrong, and have done a lot of the famous French cols myself. Mont Ventoux, however, alludes me (they go up it twice today and I'm fascinated to see if Pogacar goes up it in the big ring like he did on the Colombiere, which IMO is the hardest climb I've ever done). 

Became fascinated with road cycling when the Milk Race came through my village in the mid 60s.  Major Tom's exploits and death on Mt Ventoux really focused my mind on Le Tour and enjoy especially hearing French radio commentary from that era!

Have watched cycling on TV for many years and became a convert to Eurosport in Duffield's time.  Although ITV do a good highlights show.

Am absolutely revelling in GCN's coverage this year ... Really appreciate the respect of some commentators to pronounce names correctly ... And particularly enjoy the tactical analysis with the overhead camera shots. 

For a sport with such history, which has had such little coverage in this country over the years, I am impressed with the quality that is available on TV with the advances in technology.

8 minutes ago, DevonGeneral said:

Became fascinated with road cycling when the Milk Race came through my village in the mid 60s.  Major Tom's exploits and death on Mt Ventoux really focused my mind on Le Tour and enjoy especially hearing French radio commentary from that era!

Have watched cycling on TV for many years and became a convert to Eurosport in Duffield's time.  Although ITV do a good highlights show.

Am absolutely revelling in GCN's coverage this year ... Really appreciate the respect of some commentators to pronounce names correctly ... And particularly enjoy the tactical analysis with the overhead camera shots. 

For a sport with such history, which has had such little coverage in this country over the years, I am impressed with the quality that is available on TV with the advances in technology.

image.jpeg.d332b05284fbde47d4fcee25f8f8f9b1.jpegI had one of these. I bet the silky skin bared leg guys could ever master one of these  70s machines.

16 hours ago, TomF said:

Eurosport all the way when I’m at home with Sky. In the office we’re stuck with ITV4 SD but it still does the job. Do like their evening highlights package tho. 

Both do really well when you actually think about it - talking irrelevant nonsense for best part of 4-5 hours most days ?

It's actually not that difficult; I've been doing it for years.

Another familiar route for me today. Spent some fantastic holidays in Provence, visiting a number of the little villages on today’s route - Fontaine de Vaucluse, Gordes, Gargas, Roussillon. Beautiful place. 

19 hours ago, Harry said:

Always Eurosport for me now but in the old days it was Liggett and Sherwen (RIP) on channel 4 the dream team.

ITV are just a car crash when it comes to sports production.

23 minutes ago, TMWANG50 said:

Always Eurosport for me now but in the old days it was Liggett and Sherwen (RIP) on channel 4 the dream team.

ITV are just a car crash when it comes to sports production.

Agreed, although VSquared produce the TDF coverage for ITV and they’re very good at it IMO.

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Superb. 
Mad how they didn’t wear helmets mind….

D9FA9062-A1F8-44DB-A669-B5A97F4341D7.jpeg

The technology in the sport now to then.. basically riding bog standard racers the whole tour as opposed to the carbon fibre super bucks stuff these days. Mad to think helmets weren't really a thing till the 90s

4 minutes ago, Rob k said:

What will the cut off be today? 25%

I think its more generous isn't it when its 1/HC climbs -  fingers crossed.

25 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I read in the French press that it is 38 minutes.

Going to be uncomfortably close to that, got about 20 minutes grace but still got the HC accent to go. 

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

I can’t find any info on it to find out

Each stage has a category. Today’s is a Cat 4. The cut off time is taken according to the category of the stage balanced with the average speed of the winner. 
If they complete today in about 5 hours at 35kph average then the cut off should be around 40 minutes. 
But it’s all a bit of an unknown until the finishing time/speed is confirmed. 

0DE65B02-6906-47C2-BDAA-DC4F1839E42F.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Each stage has a category. Today’s is a Cat 4. The cut off time is taken according to the category of the stage balanced with the average speed of the winner. 
If they complete today in about 5 hours at 35kph average then the cut off should be around 40 minutes. 
But it’s all a bit of an unknown until the finishing time/speed is confirmed. 

0DE65B02-6906-47C2-BDAA-DC4F1839E42F.jpeg

Cheers mate ?

Cav about 21mins down 

Archived