IGNORED

Le Tour 2021

Antman

Mark Cavendish the greatest sprinter of all time does it again and is now level with Eddie Merckx the greatest cyclist of all time. Does he get to be King of the Isle of Man or President of the House of Keys now? 

It's a bumpy day tomorrow as a run up to the Pyrenees stages and he looks knackered. Let's hope he can stay in the race for the next few days and wear the Green with pride as he breaks the record and wins on the Champs Elysee. If he does that he'll be far more deserving of an honour than anyone in the England team should they win the Euros. 

i was in Paris when Wiggins won. Cav won that sprint. to see his speed was truly mind blowing.

I was on the champs elysees, on the opposite side to the finish, Just beyond the corporate stuff.  but boy, were they moving!!

Absolute fantastic racing today right from the start. Cav did really well to stay with the peloton till the last few climbs. Comfortably home inside. Rest to tomorrow then 3 more days of pain for him before flatter times  ? 

Deceuninck-Quick Step doing a brilliant job in nursing Cav through the mountains, while still letting the wonderful Alaphillipe do his own thing. Let's hope they can see Cav through the uphill finishes. 

Outside of this the race for the minor podium places is fascinating. If Ineos wish to get Carapaz on the podium they may have to change their tactics. 

Ineos should take a leaf out of Jumbo-Visma’s book and target stage wins. The best looking race is the one for the polka-dot jersey, with the top four separated by 10 points. I just hope Cav comes through the next two days in the Pyrenees. 

24 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Cav home OK today, just one more biggie to go now.

Massive from Pogacar again and Carapaz put in a brilliant ride too.

Yep one last push. Matthews keeping him on his toes for the Green.  Does he kick back on Friday and go for 35 on the Champs.. ? 

27 minutes ago, TomF said:

Yep one last push. Matthews keeping him on his toes for the Green.  Does he kick back on Friday and go for 35 on the Champs.. ? 

I think he has to go for it in the one flat stage left. This has to be his last Tour and anything can happen on the Champs - supposing some daft spectator/gendarme steps into the road a la Abdoujaparov. Whether he beats the record by one or two doesn`t really matter, he still beats it. If he does it on Friday he gets all the glory too - if it`s Sunday it`s all swallowed up by everything else.

21 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Cav home OK today, just one more biggie to go now.

Massive from Pogacar again and Carapaz put in a brilliant ride too.

Pojacar barely broke sweat on that stage if they don't make the tour more friendly for the climbers with some long climbs and summit finishes he could win the next 10 Tours if staying healthy at only 22 years old. The French's plan of setting the course up for Alaphilippe has back fired massively and resulted in a very dull tour this year thankfully Cav is keeping up my interest in the event with some great riding.

30 minutes ago, TMWANG50 said:

Pojacar barely broke sweat on that stage if they don't make the tour more friendly for the climbers with some long climbs and summit finishes he could win the next 10 Tours if staying healthy at only 22 years old. The French's plan of setting the course up for Alaphilippe has back fired massively and resulted in a very dull tour this year thankfully Cav is keeping up my interest in the event with some great riding.

Yeah the GC was already over after about 5 days!   Today is proving fun so far, just looking at the climbs ahead on the race centre makes me feel tired.

Anyone got any worries on Pogacar and whether he’s receiving any ‘assistance’? Just looks too good for me compared to everyone else. Obviously may have been different if Roglic had been racing but he’s just postcodes, not streets ahead of everyone else and still looks like he isn’t out of first gear.  He’s sat there in the interview room and looks like he’s barely broken sweat. 
Guess my scepticism is a result of the years of so many doping scandals but he just looks too good to me. 

3 hours ago, lenred said:

Anyone got any worries on Pogacar and whether he’s receiving any ‘assistance’? Just looks too good for me compared to everyone else. Obviously may have been different if Roglic had been racing but he’s just postcodes, not streets ahead of everyone else and still looks like he isn’t out of first gear.  He’s sat there in the interview room and looks like he’s barely broken sweat. 
Guess my scepticism is a result of the years of so many doping scandals but he just looks too good to me. 

I guess it’s always the same now, sadly. People were asking the same when Froome won 4 TDFs and I guess whoever wins it next will get the same treatment. It does feel like he could win the next ten currently.. 

25 minutes ago, TomF said:

I guess it’s always the same now, sadly. People were asking the same when Froome won 4 TDFs and I guess whoever wins it next will get the same treatment. It does feel like he could win the next ten currently.. 

I genuinely think the sport is as clean as it ever can be now (although the police raid on the Bahrain team hotel worries me). I am happy that the last few British winners like Chris F, Bradley and G weren`t enhanced in any way - I just don`t think they would do it somehow.

I really hope we don`t go back to the bad old days. I first got into cycling after watching Miguel Indurain, Greg LeMond, Pedro Delgado & Stephen Roche (who I believe were clean) but several of my tour heroes have let me down badly since (Riis, Ullrich, Pantani and of course, the big one, Armstrong).

5 hours ago, lenred said:

Mauro Gianetti

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I genuinely think the sport is as clean as it ever can be now (although the police raid on the Bahrain team hotel worries me). I am happy that the last few British winners like Chris F, Bradley and G weren`t enhanced in any way - I just don`t think they would do it somehow.

I really hope we don`t go back to the bad old days. I first got into cycling after watching Miguel Indurain, Greg LeMond, Pedro Delgado & Stephen Roche (who I believe were clean) but several of my tour heroes have let me down badly since (Riis, Ullrich, Pantani and of course, the big one, Armstrong).

I think the legacy of the sport in the 90s is going to hang over it forever and a day. Like you I think the sport is clean and the amount of testing going on would back it up. Clearly teams are using every bit of technology to improve riders. You only have to look how DQS time Cavs days at the back of the race to near minute perfection. 

3 hours ago, TomF said:

With Froome’s victories he always looked as though he was riding on the very edge of his limits at least. Pogacar looks like he’s in first gear still. I guess it’s this that gets me so much about him. He maybe just a freak of nature and obviously there are other variables like course and level of competition, but I just can’t help but have lingering doubts. Just looks too good. My issue though not his! 

Archived