IGNORED

Le Tour 2021

Antman

20 hours ago, lenred said:

Anyone got any worries on Pogacar and whether he’s receiving any ‘assistance’? Just looks too good for me compared to everyone else. Obviously may have been different if Roglic had been racing but he’s just postcodes, not streets ahead of everyone else and still looks like he isn’t out of first gear.  He’s sat there in the interview room and looks like he’s barely broken sweat. 
Guess my scepticism is a result of the years of so many doping scandals but he just looks too good to me. 

I'd agree I would love for him to be the new dawn of cycling but his performances are very Armstrongesque!

2 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Probably not

It did seem for a while they were reeling in the leaders but have backed off now.   I still live in hope they'll go again in 40-50km time again..

Just now, TomF said:

It did seem for a while they were reeling in the leaders but have backed off now.   I still live in hope they'll go again in 40-50km time again..

This breakaway poses no threat to the Green Jersey. With a TT tomorrow Cav is virtually guaranteed it now as long as he finishes on Sunday, so DQS happy to let it go. Plus they're all knackered from the last few days! And DQS have Ballerini is in the break

And of course wouldn't it be epic if Cav breaks the record with a win on the Champs Elysées ??

2 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

This breakaway poses no threat to the Green Jersey. With a TT tomorrow Cav is virtually guaranteed it now as long as he finishes on Sunday, so DQS happy to let it go. Plus they're all knackered from the last few days! And DQS have Ballerini is in the break

And of course wouldn't it be epic if Cav breaks the record with a win on the Champs Elysées ??

Absolutely epic if he does in on the Champs. It would be the perfect way to end it.  Just always nervous as its pretty hairy on those last few bends. 

7 minutes ago, TomF said:

Absolutely epic if he does in on the Champs. It would be the perfect way to end it.  Just always nervous as its pretty hairy on those last few bends. 

It would be perfect.

The speed they are going into the final corner is frightening!

I stood there for over 6 hours on the final stage of Pantani's winning tour in '98, wearing my Severn Road Club jersey ?

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I`ve just been looking at the GC and Cav is third last (140th out of 142). If he did finish last (there`s only about a minute in it) would it be the first time a rider had come bottom of the GC but also won a jersey?

58/135 in time trial today. Don’t think he’ll be at back tomorrow.. 

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I’m off to Chatou later to see the start.

It’s a lovely day, a bit too warm even, and like many on here, I am hoping to see Mark Cavendish get off to a good start before returning home to watch the finale on TV.

Already nervous. What time do they start today, it’s usually much later like 3pm isn’t it? 

Gutted.

But then thinking about it that's preposterous.

Last season I thought his career was all but over.

What he has achieved is beyond belief. A win today would have been perfect, but perhaps greedy.

4 wins, Green Jersey, 34 TDF record equalling wins at 36. When most thought he was finished.

chapeau, chapeau,

Hope he comes back next year for just one more victory.

7 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Gutted.

What he has achieved is beyond belief. A win today would have been perfect, but perhaps greedy.

4 wins, Green Jersey, 34 TDF record equalling wins at 36. When most thought he was finished.

chapeau, chapeau,

I think he will be back - from everything you hear Bennet will be off 

1 minute ago, Rob k said:

I think he will be back - from everything you hear Bennet will be off 

Bennet definitely off, but will DQS retain Cav, and if so as the main sprinter for the Tour?

Perhaps, but Lefevre will not let sentiment rule his head. Hopefully a deal can be done.

DQS will be Cav's preference for sure, and the best chance of win 35 if he can ride the Tour again.

1 hour ago, Frenchay Red said:

Gutted.

chapeau, chapeau,

Perfectly summarised. Disappointing that he didn't break Mercx record today but his achievements this tour are beyond fantastic. Chapeau to Cav and the DQS team. 

36 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Perfectly summarised. Disappointing that he didn't break Mercx record today but his achievements this tour are beyond fantastic. Chapeau to Cav and the DQS team. 

Yep good points, I never he’d even win another stage let alone equal Mercx record. 

Cav had nothing left to prove even before this Tour!  This last 3 weeks have just been a joy and a bonus ... Not to mention the emotions!

Shame about the last stage and Van Alert certainly closed down the space available very expertly.  I think the error was Cav's further back though in choosing Van Aert's wheel over Morkov's who could have positioned him much better.

Lefevre took some persuading this season so it's certainly not cut and dried but oh how I'd love to see Cav ride out in a Quick Step Alpha Vinyl jersey next season ... Even if it's just the Tour of Turkey and a few minor Belgian races!

Archived