IGNORED

Led Zeppelin walk on

supercidered

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Played at Tiffany's every Tuesday night, and I did sometimes walk (or stagger) home afterwards!

Likewise.

If you hadn’t grabbed a femme by that song, you were out! 

.... and don’t forget the Hi Ho Bristol City which, even in the 70’s, showed at the very worst a 50:50 split in North Bristol venues. Just a pity that the bloke who choose the ‘anthem’ for the Stoke City Paint Pot final appears also to be  a Tiffany’s fan given the choice of music for that final. 

7 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

As was Ginger Baker.

Keith Moon will always be No.1 though.

I think non-drummers choose him but as a drummer myself there are/were far better than him.

Mind you Keith would be up there as a brilliant drummer who can hold a beat whilst drunk. 

5 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

I think non-drummers choose him but as a drummer myself there are/were far better than him.

Mind you Keith would be up there as a brilliant drummer who can hold a beat whilst drunk. 

Isn't part of his legend that he was something of a pioneer in rock drumming. Certainly his style was different to the polite pitter-patter that used to accompany most bands before he rose to prominence.  I think he is said to have been credited with inventing having two bass drums in a kit as well.

9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Isn't part of his legend that he was something of a pioneer in rock drumming. Certainly his style was different to the polite pitter-patter that used to accompany most bands before he rose to prominence.  I think he is said to have been credited with inventing having two bass drums in a kit as well.

Yes he did use 2 bass drums and weirdly never used a hi-hat. 

He certainly was high profile and I am struggling to think of someone from the early era of electric bands that 'pioneered' his technique. 

I'm not a great Led Zep fan but Bonham was in a different higher league to Moon....in my opinion!

If drummers then could have done even part of a Buddy Rich drum solo then I'd be impressed. Worth checking out the Buddy Rich black and white tv solo on the Jerry Lewis Show (he of Dean Martin fame)!

13 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Yes he did use 2 bass drums and weirdly never used a hi-hat. 

He certainly was high profile and I am struggling to think of someone from the early era of electric bands that 'pioneered' his technique. 

I'm not a great Led Zep fan but Bonham was in a different higher league to Moon....in my opinion!

If drummers then could have done even part of a Buddy Rich drum solo then I'd be impressed. Worth checking out the Buddy Rich black and white tv solo on the Jerry Lewis Show (he of Dean Martin fame)!

Yes, discussion of great drummers tends to focus on big rock bands but jazz has many greats too of course.

And the late Frank Zappa employed a succession of great drummers people have never heard of. Including Chad Wackerman, perfectly named for a drummet! 

7 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Not quite in the same league but I was a big fan of Clem Burke from Blondie. His drumming on Picture This in particular.

Around that sort of period I would add Pete Thomas of The Attractions and Charlie Charles of The Blockheads.

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Around that sort of period I would add Pete Thomas of The Attractions and Charlie Charles of The Blockheads.

Good shouts!

An underrated drummer from that era would be Martin Chambers of the Pretenders IMO.

I was at John Bonhams last gig at Knebworth, think he died shortly after that, another memory of that gig was that I had my jacket nicked, I managed to find it later minus my cash but they left my train ticket, thieves had a lot more respect in those days.

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Bonham was the best drummer of all time imo. All down to personal taste of course.

Rock drummer perhaps, though I favour Charlie Watts - especially on Gimme Shelter. He's equally at home playing jazz too.

Mind you, Bonham's playing on In My Time of Dying is just magnificent.

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

Yes, discussion of great drummers tends to focus on big rock bands but jazz has many greats too of course.

And the late Frank Zappa employed a succession of great drummers people have never heard of. Including Chad Wackerman, perfectly named for a drummet! 

When he wasn't simulating blow jobs on stage ! :laughcont:

Archived