IGNORED

Led Zeppelin walk on

supercidered

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Gimme Shelter is a great tune. Probably never noticed how much the drums plays a part in that.

I think Bonham was a jazz drummer too. Playing from a very young age.

He certainly brought a jazz and funk style to Led Zep.

I think Bonham would have branched out into other styles of music had he lived, possibly with John Paul Jones who is equally versatile.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah you're probably right there.

Don't know if you play bass but there's a great video of John Paul Jones on YouTube talking about playing bass guitar. Very interesting.

Thanks, yes I've seen it. I also randomly came across the Drum Channel, which has some interesting stuff.

57 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Gimme Shelter is a great tune. Probably never noticed how much the drums plays a part in that.

I think Bonham was a jazz drummer too. Playing from a very young age.

He certainly brought a jazz and funk style to Led Zep.

Gimme Shelter indeed a great tune - probably the greatest!

Didn't know Bonham was jazz drummer though - knew that was Ginger Baker was.

Either way all the drummers mentioned here all brilliant and hugely iconic.

Jason Bonham (John's son) also very good.

1 minute ago, Slacker said:

Just out of interest Dave,when was the last time you left the house?

Yesterday, went to a mate’s field for a mini-Glastonbury.  Had a good few cans of Thatchers, ate too much red meat and slept in my car….not the greatest idea. ???

F9D21B21-C4CE-4098-83FE-F50C24DA76F0.jpeg

9AF0694C-79EE-46D0-8AAE-7231875CC7AC.jpeg

9CED1597-A108-452B-9721-CA7F4AC9EFCE.jpeg

Wow! That's very cool.I am so impressed that I can't even attempt to upstage it.Give me a minute to make something up.Do you have a spreadsheet of your booze to burgers ratio and any data available pertaining to estimated time of hangover?

19 hours ago, B1ackbird said:

Zeppelin, the best gig I ever saw, despite the fact that they were nearly two hours late and totally cocked up the opening number.( Celebration Day)

Yes but they did play for 3 1/2 hours. I was there too Knebworth '79.

6 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Yes but they did play for 3 1/2 hours. I was there too Knebworth '79.

Great gig wasn't it, me and my mate got there on the Wednesday, all we had was a sheet of polothene, camping next to the Germans who had a fridge in their tent.

Not a big fan of the support acts, Fairport Convention farewell gig (I think they're still going now) Tod Rungeren a lime green bodysuit, Chaz and Dave, was alright.

Worth it though...

We arrived lunchtime Friday. My Mum drove 3 of us up from Bristol (before the M25). We debunked from the car and one of the first people I saw was a lad from our football team on his own. I remember storming the gates at 2am and finally being allowed in at around 4am. Found a spot to the right of the stage under a gert big oak tree. Fell asleep and was awoken about 10am by the pa blasting out the new Supertramp album (Breakfast in America). Twas a long day til Zep hit the stage. Still ranks as my greatest ever concert closely followed by the Stones at Shepherds Bush arena.

9 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/TheCollegeOfRockAndRollKnowledge  has Ginger Baker's daughter as quite an active member. Plenty of stories about him and his time playing.

My personal favourite drummer without a mention so far is Neil Peart though.

Absolutely, influenced by Barry Barlow if you watch Barlow's solo on the Maddison square garden gig or (listen to it on Bursting out) with Peart's exit stage left solo on YYZ you'll see the similarities, especially around the snare, double bass and hi hat work.

4 hours ago, B1ackbird said:

Great gig wasn't it, me and my mate got there on the Wednesday, all we had was a sheet of polothene, camping next to the Germans who had a fridge in their tent.

Not a big fan of the support acts, Fairport Convention farewell gig (I think they're still going now) Tod Rungeren a lime green bodysuit, Chaz and Dave, was alright.

Worth it though...

New Barbarians aswell Keith Richards and Ronnie Woods group...can't for the life of me remember what they were like tho !!

Archived