IGNORED

Double -Barrel ?

slartibartfast

1 minute ago, slartibartfast said:

What is it with footballers these days ? Can you NOT be a player without the ubiquitous double barrel monica ?   Back in the day, the only one I can remember was Ian Storey- Moore !

Of course a decade or so later we had the unforgettable Forbes Phillipson - Masters, but now.................!:dunno:

I would go a step further and say why can't a footballer be fouled without looking like they've been shot or about to dive into the water! 

8 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

What is it with footballers these days ? Can you NOT be a player without the ubiquitous double barrel monica ?   Back in the day, the only one I can remember was Ian Storey- Moore !

Of course a decade or so later we had the unforgettable Forbes Phillipson - Masters, but now.................!:dunno:

Did he eventually drop the Storey and be come just Ian Moore?

14 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

you're showing your age. :)

its a generational thing. inevitably their generatiion has parents who have kept their own names. (my kids are the same) what happens another generation down the line god only knows!! (my grandkids have selective surnames)

46 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

What is it with footballers these days ? Can you NOT be a player without the ubiquitous double barrel monica ?   

I've been pondering this as well.

Historically families of nobility would hyphenate surnames at marriage to continue both family names. For instance, before changing it to plain Windsor during WW1, the Royal family was Saxe - Coburg - Gotha. The majority of sportsmen & women come from "the lower orders", yet we now have an abundance of hyphenated names.

25 minutes ago, Vespa Red said:

I am the magnificent
I'm backed by the shack of a soul boss
Most turnin' stormin' sound o'soul

If you know, you know

D&A - my first thought when I saw the thread titler.

We've had too many players with double barrel names.

Unfortunately they were all called F******-Hopeless!

1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I would go a step further and say why can't a footballer be fouled without looking like they've been shot or about to dive into the water! 

Watching the Italians last night,  their  reactions to the slightest touch is so dramatic it's almost operatic.

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Often it's simply that the parents are unmarried so it's not automatic to just take the fathers' surname.

32 minutes ago, 22A said:

I've been pondering this as well.

Historically families of nobility would hyphenate surnames at marriage to continue both family names. For instance, before changing it to plain Windsor during WW1, the Royal family was Saxe - Coburg - Gotha. The majority of sportsmen & women come from "the lower orders", yet we now have an abundance of hyphenated names.

and if if they haven't got a double barrel surname............they tack one on anyway

Bobby Decordova-Reid - I'm looking at you ?

I remember Double Barrel Monica. She was fun

It’s down to the amount of step parents getting a shout out . Like Forster -caskey for example . I agree though it’s like a nineteenth century cricket team now. 

Thats what you call a big name signing slart..... 

What about Forbes Phillipson-Masters? I can remember him saying that the manager at the time at City (I can’t remember who he was) said he wanted to sign a “big name centre half”. Good old Forbes replied  “you can’t have a bigger name than mine”!

Archived