IGNORED

Double -Barrel ?

slartibartfast

I think it's all part of the equal rights for everyone movement. Only using your father's name is sexist maybe. All i know is that its going to be a bugger if Forbes' son marries Bobby Reid's daughter. Imagine being called Diversity Decordova-Reid-Phillipson-Masters.

1 minute ago, Leveller said:

I think it's all part of the equal rights for everyone movement. Only using your father's name is sexist maybe. All i know is that its going to be a bugger if Forbes' son marries Bobby Reid's daughter. Imagine being called Diversity Decordova-Reid-Phillipson-Masters.

It will have to be reduced to initials after another generation or two!

22 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

It probably takes three days to print a Tyreeq Jamal Adeshina Oliveira Bakinson shirt, and the print-setters will then require a day's leave to recover from exhaustion.

Thank Christ he doesn't have a double-barrel surname.

He'd need a long sleeved shirt for all of that. 

45 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

My ex and me chose to give our son a double barrel surname cuz we knew we didn’t want to get married, love the idea but not the cost of one, so he took both our names

Double barrel names are ok until two double barrel names get together and then have children. It’s then a quadruple names for the little ones. A wife taking the husband’s name is a tradition but, perhaps, we need something more modern. Couples could chose a totally random name that they both like. I’d like to change my name to beaujolais. Something that is pleasant, but not to overpowering 

2 hours ago, Red Homer said:

Did City used to run out to this or was it Liquidator by Harry J All-stars?

Liquidator. The players heard it at Molineux as they ambled onto the pitch. It was the first game of the season in early 90s. We didn't win but the team wanted to use it for home matches as a result of Wolves playing it. 

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I always used to think they were brothers, but they aren't related and Dave's surname is Barker.

There's was a band name crying out for a comma.

Similar to Sheila B Devotion. I initially thought this was her name but later found out that it was really Sheila and B Devotion, the backing ground called B Devotion 

8 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Similar to Sheila B Devotion. I initially thought this was her name but later found out that it was really Sheila and B Devotion, the backing ground called B Devotion 

And I always thought Rose Royce was the name of the singer, but it is in fact the name of the band. Gwen Dickey is the name of the singer.

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Maybe we should do what the Brazilians and Portuguese do and just have one name like Pele instead of Edson Arantes Do Nascimento

Ok if you can pronounce the names correctly. One for the oldies - can you remember Joe Mercer calling Pele “Pee-lay”?

Double barrelled names did indeed used to be held for the higher classes, where the family name was ‘known’ and had to be continued. 
The phenomenon nowadays is fourfold :

1) Feminism - The rise of feminism in the 80’s and 90’s saw more women refusing to give up their name upon marriage. 
2) Immigration - As more and more mixed marriages occurred, the immigrant family were keen to not lose their traditional family name but also to have a British name too. Solution. Have both. 
3) Relaxation of ‘traditional’ Christian beliefs - The ease by which divorce became more common, together with the increase in ‘out of wedlock’ children, lead to both parents names being taken by the children. 
4) Class vs Crass - Lower class families tended moreover to want to differentiate themselves - hence the alteration of traditional names (eg, changing Rebecca to Rebekah and the like). It’s a step by which they wanted to not only keep up with the Jones’ but to stand out from the crowd. The double barrel name was the next progression along this route. 

10 hours ago, alexukhc said:

My ex and me chose to give our son a double barrel surname cuz we knew we didn’t want to get married, love the idea but not the cost of one, so he took both our names

Hope he does the same one day with his double-barrell surnamed girlfriend so you have a quadruple-barrell surnamed grandchild.

19 hours ago, Superjack said:

Still can't get used to Decordova-Reid.

In his defence he has always called himself that, away from football at least.

We’ve been ‘friends’ on Facebook since about 2008, I didn’t even know he played football, and he always had Decordova-Reid.

I always thought it was made up to look like some ‘cool’ designer clothing brand, Callum Versace-Brooks, Mike Gucci-Gates, etc.

Archived