IGNORED

Kalas had a blinder

REDOXO

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Think that interview he did showed he was hurting, wasn’t happy.  Had one particularly poor game when Baker came in alongside him, but generally was one of the few to rise above the mediocrity (Bentley especially).

Agreed.

We know a lot of our players can perform better than we saw in many games in the latter half of last season. Kalas's strong international showing just confirms that we have a class act in defence, providing we give him the platform to shine.

One of the major issues at the club last season was the lack of partnerships.

At CB, Kalas and Vyner are both very good players but not necessarily as a combination.

In central midfield Nagy, Massengo, Bakinson and (again) Vyner all had their moments but we could not find a combination that worked

Up-front we had three strikers with decent track records but no combination of two ever quite came together.

The players suffered for that and I hope the focus is on putting it right. The fact Simpson seems to be our only planned right back signing seems to suggest Pearson sees Vyner as first choice right back next season. That leaves a space for a new central defender to play alongside Kalas and I think the potential to work with Kalas has to be the key factor. To my mind, that is where whatever budget we have should be focused and I think getting that right will go a long way to correcting our deficiencies last season.

PRague Red here - don't post often and when I do its usually about Kalas for obvious reasons!! I was lucky enough to get to go to the game yesterday in Budapest (along with most of Czech Rep. it felt) Want to make a couple of points:

On Kalas - he has been extremely solid all tournament and has come up against class attacks in Croatia, England and Netherlands (we'll ignore Scotland there!!) and pretty much kept them quiet throughout. He benefits from playing with better teammates in defence (no offence but internaitonal class players a little bit of an upgrade on our other CBs!!). Whats most noticeable though is that he is concentrating really hard throughout. I think he knows he's playing at his limit. In the Championship sometimes I think he finds it a bit easier and can be prone to the odd moment of switching off. Of course the usual heroic blocks and thundering headers. Oh and that assist - a thing of beauty.

Second point - this was my first match in a stadium since Christmas 2019. Adimttedly an extreme one (huge crowd, no social distance, game for the ages for hordes of Czechs). But the emotion of just getting into a stadium. Walking up the steps. Seeing that green grass and the stands all around. Was really emotional. And that emotion was felt by everyone in the stadium I think. So a great atmosphere.

Living in Prague I don't get many opportunities to get tot the gate. But when you guys and girls finally get back in you are in for a treat. Enjoy it, savour it and get behind the boys no matter what.  

Anyhow here's to an England v Czech semi with England of course winning!!

bob.PNG

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think that interview he did showed he was hurting, wasn’t happy.  Had one particularly poor game when Baker came in alongside him, but generally was one of the few to rise above the mediocrity (Bentley especially).

I agree he wasn’t happy but, while I may be wrong, he strikes me as the type of personality who would be angry at how things were going and want to put them right, rather than angry and trying to jump ship as quickly as possible.

I think he will be demanding things are done differently rather than trying to engineer a move. Although, if he plays like he did yesterday in the next couple of games, that move may come anyway. 

What I found interesting was that he was in a back five but once the wing backs pushed forward he tended to be on the left side of the three. A position he seldom played at City. 
Maybe if he was used similarly for City the young players at left wing backs may of had more support and Taylor Moore playing on the right side may have been more confident in his natural position.

25 minutes ago, gavlin said:

What I found interesting was that he was in a back five but once the wing backs pushed forward he tended to be on the left side of the three. A position he seldom played at City. 
Maybe if he was used similarly for City the young players at left wing backs may of had more support and Taylor Moore playing on the right side may have been more confident in his natural position.

I thought the same thing.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I agree he wasn’t happy but, while I may be wrong, he strikes me as the type of personality who would be angry at how things were going and want to put them right, rather than angry and trying to jump ship as quickly as possible.

I think he will be demanding things are done differently rather than trying to engineer a move. Although, if he plays like he did yesterday in the next couple of games, that move may come anyway. 

After we beat Huddersfield at home despite being completely outplayed he was furious and said we can't go on playing like that. He didn't exclude himself.

When asked who would win at Derby he said the team that is coached best.

He clearly hates mediocrity and expects higher standards from players and coaches alike.

He ought to be a key man for Pearson, who will demand the same.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I wasn’t for one second insinuating he wanted to leave. Unhappy at the standards of others.  Wanting others to have the same standards as him. And we know Nige was very critical of the squad being unable to self-police themselves. 

15 hours ago, SuperRed said:

Mentally he looked totally shot by the end of last season. Hopefully he comes back full of confidence and we sign a dominating partner for him. 

I thought he looked knackered during the game yesterday. That was some performance from a good player!

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Hypothetically, If someone offered 10 M for him now, would you take it?

Not sure about us fans but I think the club would, pocket 60% and give Nige 40% for transfers

17 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I thought the generally quoted fee was £8M.

Whatever, I suspect there is little chance, if any, of getting even £8M, regardless of he has performed.

‘Twas £8m.  Although current value in the accounts is £4m (used for FFP).

Archived