IGNORED

Joe Jordan leaves Bournemouth, could he help the City?

Major Isewater

9 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

That i couldnt say major.

Less yes men the better.

If its going to be joe identfying players, it doesnt take a genius that money wont be wasted.

Theres been nobody in my time following city, who has made more successful signings.

Presumably not including Gary Stanley, Scott McGarvey, Paul Wimbleton, Paul France!

21 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Paul France ?

Full back Signed at the start of the 1989-90 promotion season, but never played. I remember we signed two Paul’s (Wimbleton and France) and two Daves (Smith and Rennie).  Saw him play in a one-season friendly (at Trowbridge I think) but that was it. Quite disturbing that I remember this…

10 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Glad you mentioned stanley and wimbleton tbh.

Kicked out the door quicker than you could say jack robinson.

The Jack Robinson who plays for Sheffield Utd?

If we get a Director of Football, it should be a Director of Football. Joe Jordan is a great manager and a great coach but has never done a Director of Football job, never shown an interest in a Director of Football job and never really given any indiction as to whether or not he has the skills to do a Director of Football job.

Aside from anything else - given his pedigree -  it would be absolute madness to get Joe Jordan in and not use him working with the players on the training ground. If we need another first team coach, I'd absolutely love it to be Joe Jordan. If we need a Director of Football, let's get someone with the skills and enthusiasm for that particular job - not someone who has never done it before and has shown no interest in doing so. 

5 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Paul France ?

Went on to play for Huddersfield Town and if I remember correctly scored  to get them a 1-1 at Ashton Gate on a night if we had won we would have been promoted. We then went to Bolton lost 1-0 and had to endure the 2nd May at Twerton and just limped over the line by Reading drawing at home to Tranmere on a rearranged Thursday night game to get us over the line.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

If we get a Director of Football, it should be a Director of Football. Joe Jordan is a great manager and a great coach but has never done a Director of Football job, never shown an interest in a Director of Football job and never really given any indiction as to whether or not he has the skills to do a Director of Football job.

Aside from anything else - given his pedigree -  it would be absolute madness to get Joe Jordan in and not use him working with the players on the training ground. If we need another first team coach, I'd absolutely love it to be Joe Jordan. If we need a Director of Football, let's get someone with the skills and enthusiasm for that particular job - not someone who has never done it before and has shown no interest in doing so. 

A great manager? Can't say I can see that.

Got us promoted in second place behind some side who ended up going non-league and then jumped ship as he wanted to enhance his chances of managing the Scotland national side.

Great, he got us promoted, but what else has he done to suggest he is even a 'good' manager, before we even get to the great manager you describe.

34 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

A great manager? Can't say I can see that.

Got us promoted in second place behind some side who ended up going non-league and then jumped ship as he wanted to enhance his chances of managing the Scotland national side.

Great, he got us promoted, but what else has he done to suggest he is even a 'good' manager, before we even get to the great manager you describe.

He got us promoted. Lots of other managers failed to do so. "Great" might be an exaggeration - I was a kid when he was managing us and barely remember it- but I wasn't over-thinking it to any degree. I was just being respectful to other posters' positive memories of him whilst suggesting there was no reason to see he would be suitable as Director of Football. I wasn't necessarily expecting to be put on the witness stand over a throwaway sentence. 

The fact he's subsequently spent years coaching at a high level probably suggests that's where he and others see his skillset. 

Archived