IGNORED

Mens vs womens football ticket prices

The Humble Realist

Quite rightly there is a drive to promote the womens game and womens sport in general and tackle some of the misconceptions that exist. 

I wonder when if ever ticket prices to see womens football will be equal to the extortionate amount sometimes charged for the mens? Or perhaps mens tickets are reduced down closer to the amount charged for a womens game. 

Also...controversial question but is it 'unfair' that a season ticket for the Bristol city mens team in the championship is more expensive than a bristol city womens team season ticket in the womens super league ?

The equality debate is tricky sometimes but I wonder when /if ticket prices and perhaps wages may come into the debate whereas up to now its predominantly been about coverage and opportunity. 

• Admin
13 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

...controversial question but is it 'unfair' that a season ticket for the Bristol city mens team in the championship is more expensive than a bristol city womens team season ticket in the womens super league ?

I'm amazed that you ask this question 

Surely it's clear to see the difference in standard?

13 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'm amazed that you ask this question 

Surely it's clear to see the difference in standard?

Perhaps,  but there is a real drive to promote the product on equal terms. So I'm wondering when that translates to the economics,  not just tickets but tv rights, wages , sponsors etc. 

4 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

That is true 

If you have a daughter interested in the game it’s a great way to introduce her to competitive football and it has the added advantage of getting her used to the misery of being a City fan seeing that the ladies team seemed to lose every week.

1 minute ago, bredwood said:

If you have a daughter interested in the game it’s a great way to introduce her to competitive football and it has the added advantage of getting her used to the misery of being a City fan seeing that the ladies team seemed to lose every week.

Yeah i get that

but im just not the slightest bit interested in womens football

Apart from athletics i dont watch hardly any womens sport 

17 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

Perhaps,  but there is a real drive to promote the product on equal terms. So I'm wondering when that translates to the economics,  not just tickets but tv rights, wages , sponsors etc. 

They will get paid the same when the woman's game makes the same amount of money.

When the woman's game can sell out 40k tickets up and down the country week in week out and make billion pound worldwide advertising deals then that will be the point they will be able to demand the same wage. 

5 minutes ago, Pezo said:

They will get paid the same when the woman's game makes the same amount of money.

When the woman's game can sell out 40k tickets up and down the country week in week out and make billion pound worldwide advertising deals then that will be the point they will be able to demand the same wage. 

Exactly - not rocket science is it 

8 minutes ago, Pezo said:

That's never then.

38 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

Perhaps? There’s a clear difference in standard end of. It’s only equal when the standard is equal. Charge people the same to watch Women’s football as men’s and you will end up with players families in the ground and nobody else. Nothing sexist about it, just fact however uncomfortable the truth might be.

Men's football is too expensive, the money involved is too much (that's why they wanted a super league), they are in debt etc etc. Women's football will never be like that. Perhaps before the Premier League, but I doubt it.

Ronaldo wiped 4bn off Coke's share price because he moved the bottles out of the way and told everyone to drink water…I can't see any women players having that amount of power.

1 hour ago, The Humble Realist said:

Quite rightly there is a drive to promote the womens game and womens sport in general and tackle some of the misconceptions that exist. 

I wonder when if ever ticket prices to see womens football will be equal to the extortionate amount sometimes charged for the mens? Or perhaps mens tickets are reduced down closer to the amount charged for a womens game. 

Also...controversial question but is it 'unfair' that a season ticket for the Bristol city mens team in the championship is more expensive than a bristol city womens team season ticket in the womens super league ?

The equality debate is tricky sometimes but I wonder when /if ticket prices and perhaps wages may come into the debate whereas up to now its predominantly been about coverage and opportunity. 

You can't compare the two,

You may as well compare the price of a arsenal season ticket and a Chippenham Town season ticket

It's the same sport 

12 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Men's football is too expensive, the money involved is too much (that's why they wanted a super league), they are in debt etc etc. Women's football will never be like that. Perhaps before the Premier League, but I doubt it.

Ronaldo wiped 4bn off Coke's share price because he moved the bottles out of the way and told everyone to drink water…I can't see any women players having that amount of power.

The original point was when will the Women's game be equal in terms of wages, exposure, sponsorship, investment etc.? That will be the day it generates the same interest as the men's game, whatever the wrongs of the men's game, and that day isn't arriving any time soon. If that makes 90% of the football watching public sexist in the eyes of a tiny minority then so be it. It's our money, we decide how much and what we will spend it on rather than following some moral crusade..............that's not a pop at your post btw!!!

My point is if the Women's game prices itself sensibly it will continue to grow, if it doesn't it will die.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The original point was when will the Women's game be equal in terms of wages, exposure, sponsorship, investment etc.? That will be the day it generates the same interest as the men's game, whatever the wrongs of the men's game, and that day isn't arriving any time soon. If that makes 90% of the football watching public sexist in the eyes of a tiny minority then so be it. It's our money, we decide how much and what we will spend it on rather than following some moral crusade..............that's not a pop at your post btw!!!

My point is if the Women's game prices itself sensibly it will continue to grow, if it doesn't it will die.

City W have already suffered by the injection of cash, we can't compete with the likes of Chelsea

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Why would it be sexist? If people don't want to watch it they don't want to watch it. I would suspect women's football will grow because more girls play it at school now (we weren't allowed), so the interest of it as a professional sport generally may grow too. 

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Why would it be sexist? If people don't want to watch it they don't want to watch it. I would suspect women's football will grow because more girls play it at school now (we weren't allowed), so the interest of it as a professional sport generally may grow too. 

Totally, you see loads of girls kicking a ball about now. The interest is there and the game will continue to grow as longs as it is sensible and realistic.

I was being a bit flippant with the sexist comment but you always get a few who get offended, even though it was the OP comparing the two games on a level playing field in effect, and bring it round to that and I did say a tiny minority!!

12 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

You’ve already got women’s teams racking up debt rather than women’s football being built sustainably because you’ve got the top clubs spending beyond their means to bring better players in with costs rising quicker than income.

12 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Tried watching women’s football a few times with an open mind but honestly it’s awful and sadly not for me! The Goalkeepers are very poor! 

one thing I think would be better is if the played on slightly smaller pitches with slightly smaller Goal posts! I mean playing on a pitch designed for men is never going to help!

Maybe I’ll try to watch again in the future but the standard has to improve dramitically to become any where near as financially successful as the men!

30 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

You’ve already got women’s teams racking up debt rather than women’s football being built sustainably because you’ve got the top clubs spending beyond their means to bring better players in with costs rising quicker than income.

Yes, City has already suffered from this. We’re not going to get into that kind of financial difficulty because of SL, he’s too prudent, and we can’t compete this those more reckless clubs

27 minutes ago, IdliketoRogerMoore said:

Tried watching women’s football a few times with an open mind but honestly it’s awful and sadly not for me! The Goalkeepers are very poor! 

one thing I think would be better is if the played on slightly smaller pitches with slightly smaller Goal posts! I mean playing on a pitch designed for men is never going to help!

Maybe I’ll try to watch again in the future but the standard has to improve dramitically to become any where near as financially successful as the men!

I watched a couple of women's football ("soccer") games when in the US.

There were some really soft goals because the goalposts are suited for the men's game with 6'3" goalkeepers.  If you want a decent chance of scoring then simply lift a lob into the goal and the keeper will struggle to reach it.

Women seem to take it as a criticism when it is suggested that the goalposts are reduced in size as though this means that they are playing a softer version of the game but it is simply a reflection that women are on average shorter than men.

The ticket answer was nailed upthread: tickets are priced at the level at which people will buy them.

3 hours ago, IdliketoRogerMoore said:

In the games I have watched, City's keeper,Sophie Baggaley has always been quite impressive. Certainly above the usual standard for ladies keepers in my limited experience 

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Are tickets based on access to grounds and then certain courts etc rather than individual matches?

When I went, good old corporate entertaining, the ticket bought you access to centre court for a particular day rather than a particular match.  I saw a women's semi-final and some doubles.

If it's anything like the Queen's Club tournament then the outer courts are unrestricted.

As the men's final and the women's final are on different days then you know for which one you are buying tickets unless there is huge weather disruption of the tournament.

Archived