IGNORED

Mens vs womens football ticket prices

The Humble Realist

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

There is more sponsorship and interest in women's tennis then there is in women's football,

Again you just can't compare the two..

Would cricket not be a better comparison with football? I`ve no idea how the ticket prices stack up for an England mens ODI v a womens.

6 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

When I went, good old corporate entertaining, the ticket bought you access to centre court for a particular day rather than a particular match.  I saw a women's semi-final and some doubles.

This is exactly how Wimbledon works. When I worked there (2010-12), the grounds were notably quieter on the days when there were no Men's Singles matches. In particular some, such as those who hold debenture tickets (and so effectively have a ticket for every day), would completely ignore Ladies' quarter final day. That day, on which the only "big" matches are the four Ladies QFs is typically the quietest day of the entire fortnight. This is partly due to the lower quality of tennis on offer, but it is also due to the fact that a 3-set ladies game may last only an hour if the score is something like 6-1, 6-0. Why bother going all the way to Wimbledon for just one or two hours of Ladies' tennis - is the thought process for many fans.

The Mens' tournament dominates the fortnight, everything else is in support of it.

10 hours ago, Super said:

So a ticket for Women's final would be same as the Men's?

Yes. A ticket for Ladies Final Day is the same cost as for Men's finals day. All tickets get you general access to the grounds and all outside courts. Prices then vary depending on if your ticket also gives you access to one of the "show" courts - Centre, No.1, No.2, No.3, No.18 etc.

On 28/06/2021 at 19:54, Monkeh said:

You can't compare the two,

You may as well compare the price of a arsenal season ticket and a Chippenham Town season ticket

It's the same sport 

Exactly, reward is based on how much revenue is bought in, just like any other business. You can't complain about women not being paid as much as men when men aren't being paid as much as men. Don't think the Chip lads are on the same as those at the Emirates. 

It's not sexist, it's simple economics.

On 28/06/2021 at 18:17, The Humble Realist said:

Quite rightly there is a drive to promote the womens game and womens sport in general and tackle some of the misconceptions that exist. 

I wonder when if ever ticket prices to see womens football will be equal to the extortionate amount sometimes charged for the mens? Or perhaps mens tickets are reduced down closer to the amount charged for a womens game. 

Also...controversial question but is it 'unfair' that a season ticket for the Bristol city mens team in the championship is more expensive than a bristol city womens team season ticket in the womens super league ?

The equality debate is tricky sometimes but I wonder when /if ticket prices and perhaps wages may come into the debate whereas up to now its predominantly been about coverage and opportunity. 

I think people get confused about equality. THere's a difference between equality of opportunity and equality of outcome.

It's a less-watched product so it has less interest and therefore costs less. This is seen in all forms of entertainment, smaller music bands charge less than the top acts, open-mic nights cost less than seeing a top comedian etc.

You can't pay women the same as men when the money isn't coming to the game to the same level. You could provide more TV coverage but if the demand isn't there, the TV companies would be making a loss just to say they show support to the womens game?

On 29/06/2021 at 08:17, IdliketoRogerMoore said:

Tried watching women’s football a few times with an open mind but honestly it’s awful and sadly not for me! The Goalkeepers are very poor! 

one thing I think would be better is if the played on slightly smaller pitches with slightly smaller Goal posts! I mean playing on a pitch designed for men is never going to help!

Maybe I’ll try to watch again in the future but the standard has to improve dramitically to become any where near as financially successful as the men!

Is women's rugby played on the same size pitch? Genuine question as I've no idea.

On the subject of mens pitches and goals though, weren't these created in times when the average man was smaller. I'm sure someone said before on here that the average women's keepers are the same sort of size as the average men at the time the sizes were done?

On 29/06/2021 at 08:52, Eddie Hitler said:

I watched a couple of women's football ("soccer") games when in the US.

There were some really soft goals because the goalposts are suited for the men's game with 6'3" goalkeepers.  If you want a decent chance of scoring then simply lift a lob into the goal and the keeper will struggle to reach it.

Women seem to take it as a criticism when it is suggested that the goalposts are reduced in size as though this means that they are playing a softer version of the game but it is simply a reflection that women are on average shorter than men.

The ticket answer was nailed upthread: tickets are priced at the level at which people will buy them.

Keepers are taller. So are female keepers. Female keepers are and can be six feet tall. Englands Bardsley is so is the Ireland keeper etc but the goal posts are a universal size from u14 male and female to the adults game. The universal post size comes from a time when all keepers were smaller. Keeper size alters around the globe (EPL is 6,3, La Liga 6.1 or was) .. You will see where this goes. Reducing post sizes for a game that is universal for males and females isn't practical or sensible. 

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Keepers are taller. So are female keepers. Female keepers are and can be six feet tall. Englands Bardsley is so is the Ireland keeper etc but the goal posts are a universal size from u14 male and female to the adults game. The universal post size comes from a time when all keepers were smaller. Keeper size alters around the globe (EPL is 6,3, La Liga 6.1 or was) .. You will see where this goes. Reducing post sizes for a game that is universal for males and females isn't practical or sensible. 

We will disagree then.

The one thing that IMO makes the women's game worse than the men's is not technical ability nor effort put in but the plethora of soft goals caused by having shorter keepers.

I could never see myself paying to watch women's football..........without wishing to appear patronising, I am all for the women's  game, and I wish it well,   i just do not find it sufficiently exciting or engaging.   The  blood and thunder and physicality of mens football, allied to it's high level of skill, as shown by last nights great game, and the France v Switzerland match, as examples, cannot be replicated in the women's version.  That's not a criticism, just a fact.  Technically excellent, and passionate, the female form of the game will have it's devotees, but it just leaves me bored.    As for the keeper's?  Well?    PS.   Just try comparing the men's top ten goals of the season, with the top ten women's ?     

3 hours ago, maxjak said:

I could never see myself paying to watch women's football..........without wishing to appear patronising, I am all for the women's  game, and I wish it well,   i just do not find it sufficiently exciting or engaging.   The  blood and thunder and physicality of mens football, allied to it's high level of skill, as shown by last nights great game, and the France v Switzerland match, as examples, cannot be replicated in the women's version.  That's not a criticism, just a fact.  Technically excellent, and passionate, the female form of the game will have it's devotees, but it just leaves me bored.    As for the keeper's?  Well?    PS.   Just try comparing the men's top ten goals of the season, with the top ten women's ?     

I understand what you mean, but have a look at Salmon's goal on her US debut.

23 hours ago, Arsene's Wanger said:

Exactly, reward is based on how much revenue is bought in, just like any other business. You can't complain about women not being paid as much as men when men aren't being paid as much as men. Don't think the Chip lads are on the same as those at the Emirates. 

It's not sexist, it's simple economics.

Correct it’s simple economics At Wimbledon , the ticket prices are the same and the renumeration to the players is the same . 

6 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

We will disagree then.

The one thing that IMO makes the women's game worse than the men's is not technical ability nor effort put in but the plethora of soft goals caused by having shorter keepers.

As there are such clear physiological differences don't compare the two. 

On 30/06/2021 at 14:31, MarcusX said:

Is women's rugby played on the same size pitch? Genuine question as I've no idea.

On the subject of mens pitches and goals though, weren't these created in times when the average man was smaller. I'm sure someone said before on here that the average women's keepers are the same sort of size as the average men at the time the sizes were done?

Not sure about rugby but women’s cricket the boundary is brought further in other wise they would never be able to hit a six! Which is sensible, women’s tennis isn’t as many sets as the the men. 

With Cue sports, Snooker there are some shots women can’t play because they seem to get power required but in American pool which is on a much smaller table the women beat the worlds best a lot more regularly!

Archived