IGNORED

So Baker is back.

Bristol Rob

Could do worse from our perspective if he stays fit, we want 2 CB's particularly left sided so if he's on reduced terms of his last deal then we can put more into another new player hopefully. So 1 CB, 1 CM and a forward from Nigel's initial list. If it doesn't work out or the market improves and increases our spending power its only a 1 year deal.

This is a strange one for me. Baker is a decent player when fit but we all know how injury prone he is. He started a grand total of 1 game throughout the whole of last season and he’s been in and out with injury ever since he joined us.

Even on a pay as you play deal I’d say this is a huge risk. Hopefully we’ve done a stringent medical on him and he can stay fit, but history says that seems unlikely. 

Just now, Lrrr said:

Could do worse from our perspective if he stays fit, we want 2 CB's particularly left sided so if he's on reduced terms of his last deal then we can put more into another new player hopefully. So 1 CB, 1 CM and a forward from Nigel's initial list. If it doesn't work out or the market improves and increases our spending power its only a 1 year deal.

Two years.

Just now, Jacki said:

This is a strange one for me. Baker is a decent player when fit but we all know how injury prone he is. He started a grand total of 1 game throughout the whole of last season and he’s been in and out with injury ever since he joined us.

Even on a pay as you play deal I’d say this is a huge risk. Hopefully we’ve done a stringent medical on him and he can stay fit, but history says that seems unlikely. 

That's one positive.........he won't be carrying any baggage from last season!!!

2 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Yes

Contracts end on 30th June. But no doubt his Agent touted him around as we indicated we wouldn't retain him and the offers he might have received were probably shitter than he might get considering he'd have to uproot, move house etc. etc.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

A fully fit NB is a very decent CB but his history shows that he just can’t stay fit for long. For a big and powerful man he’s incredibly fragile.

I predict that we won’t so see much of him next season. He’ll be injured.

Perhaps we should give the new medical team a chance first, considering Baker spent much of his time playing under the previous circus.........

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Contracts end on 30th June. But no doubt his Agent touted him around as we indicated we wouldn't retain him and the offers he might have received were probably shitter than he might get considering he'd have to uproot, move house etc. etc.

Yep and I suspect this will be quite commonplace all over the EFL this summer, players seeing what's out there for them but ultimately realising that they might be better off staying where they are on reduced terms.

Basically he's never left and the fact people were initially surprised he wasn't on the retained list to start with and the fact he is prob when fit the best defender at the club, I fail to see the problem,

We have a few players still on the books with a worse injury record yet they don't get half as much shit

14 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The grass clearly wasn’t greener and the realities of current wages is hitting home. If he stays fit he’s a good player……that’s where Rennie will earn his money!!

This for me. Presume he has taken a cut on wages. Rennie to get him resilient. A fit partnership of Kalas (right side - where he is better in my view) and Baker (left side) is decent enough. 

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I just can’t see how Nige can assess what NB is about when he’s not seen him play.

Archived