IGNORED

So Baker is back.

Bristol Rob

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Perhaps we should give the new medical team a chance first, considering Baker spent much of his time playing under the previous circus.........

Baker was exactly the same at Villa. He was injury prone before he signed for City.

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yep and I suspect this will be quite commonplace all over the EFL this summer, players seeing what's out there for them but ultimately realising that they might be better off staying where they are on reduced terms.

100%, some of us made this point months ago and got shouted down. People have really underestimated the effects of Covid on finances in the game. Same with attendances, they will dip across the board for a few years, it's inevitable. 

Am I dreaming that LJ said that Baker was basically injured in 19/20 and would need surgery, or at least prolonged rest to sort it out?

Anyway, Rennie is presumably best judge of whether we can keep Baker fit and if there was ever a City manager who can coach Baker to make the correct decisions regarding availability it’s Nigel Pearson.

‘Here Nathan, have a look at my knees!’

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Baker was exactly the same at Villa. He was injury prone before he signed for City.

Let's wait and see then. You would have thought the new medical guy would have had his say, looked through his records etc. I am hoping we might be starting to run something remotely approaching a Professional outfit now Teflon has been ****** out of it.........

7 minutes ago, BRIAN WILSON said:

Contingency plan SHOULD Kalas be tempted away ??

Exactly my first thought. 

Im slightly confused: I’d assumed that ‘not being on the retained list’ had meant we were letting him go without offering a new contract? So is this Baker changing his mind, or the club?

Welcome back Bakes. Really hope his availability sky rockets under the new medical regime. Would be happy for him and Kalas to be first choice starters IF we get in another centre half as quality cover and a bit of an understudy. Atkinson confirmed this week please ???

A fully fit Nathan Baker is quite the player, could be handy next to Kalas. Unfortunately he’s shown time and again that he just can’t stay fit. Not unhappy with him returning but I wouldn't have taken him personally.

Can Dave Rennie can get him to complete a season? I can’t see it happening but I hope I’m proven wrong.

I am pretty happy with him signing, we know what we are getting and don't have a decent left sided CB, if we are to use TK on the right of a four or centre of a back 3.  Although he was always going off injured prior to last season, he never seemed to be out of the side for long.  Last season was the 1st time he has had a long term injury, and he certainly wasn't the only one.  The ability to manage his fitness will perhaps be a litmus test for the new medics.  As has been mentioned before, reality is hitting home.  Pato next anyone?

1 minute ago, KegCity said:

A fully fit Nathan Baker is quite the player, could be handy next to Kalas. Unfortunately he’s shown time and again that he just can’t stay fit. Not unhappy with him returning but I wouldn't have taken him personally.

Can Dave Rennie can get him to complete a season? I can’t see it happening but I hope I’m proven wrong.

Yep, dave rennie will find it easier to walk on water and turn water into wine than keep baker fit, id be surprised if hes not injured by the time the season starts.

Just now, BCFCGav said:

Welcome back Bakes. Really hope his availability sky rockets under the new medical regime.

There seems to be a notion that Dave Rennie is some kind of witch doctor who can heal the sick, raise the dead, repair pulled hamstrings instantly, and - the ultimate task- keep Baker fit.

The facts are Baker was a sick note at Villa, and throughout his time at City even before Rolls arrived and LJ said a lot of his problems were in his head. He went off in one game because he had a headache  - how does Rennie prevent that?

Plus Ca change

Just now, Northern Red said:

I'd say that's beyond any doubt.

Reckon it’s an indication of wages available this summer. Could be many a player having to lower their wage expectations. For clubs there could be many a bargain? 

Nige said he wanted an extremely fit and reliable squad, this signing simply doesn't make sense in that regard.

Anyone really believe Baker will be fit enough to make 30+ starts next season, and even if he does, how many games will he finish?

57 minutes ago, Jacki said:

This is a strange one for me. Baker is a decent player when fit but we all know how injury prone he is. He started a grand total of 1 game throughout the whole of last season and he’s been in and out with injury ever since he joined us.

Even on a pay as you play deal I’d say this is a huge risk. Hopefully we’ve done a stringent medical on him and he can stay fit, but history says that seems unlikely. 

You are hoping Nige and in particular Rennie have done their due diligence on the player - Bakers injury history is appalling to be fair and it’s obviously a gamble for the club which I’m sure Nige is well aware. It’s clear  he will be on reduced terms so maybe its a gamble that Pearson and the medical team have sat around the table and sanctioned as one worth taking - only time will tell.

Archived