IGNORED

So Baker is back.

Bristol Rob

This is a sad state of affairs for me. Is it the extent of our ambition to resign sick note Baker? It seems so.  I can only imagine it’s because we can’t attract better, which is a bit depressing in terms of where we’re at as a club. Limited defender even when fully fit, lacking pace, uncomfortable on the ball or playing out, agricultural. Good in the air, but surely we aspire to more than that.  The world has moved on, are we going backwards? Can only hope he’s the back up option… 

8 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

So total supposition on your part.

Obviously, but when an about turn as mystifying as this occurs it's natural to ponder whether there may be other inter related circumstances that influenced proceedings.

Well, natural to me anyway.

I guess the after effect of Covid is biting. Don't think there is simply the money about that there was before and bringing in decent players is proving more difficult than they imagined.

Having said that i must admit i am suprised we have resigned Baker as NP stated he wants a "fit and robust" squad for this season. Baker is certainly physically robust but you cant rely on him for any number of games. My worry so far is that we have signed Simpson / Baker / James none of which are known for playing week in week out. We have also resigned AW which is a gamble considering the injury he has recovered from.

I just have a horrible feeling that we could potentially end up in the same mess as last year and have a squad depleted by injuries again. Hope i am wrong but we shall see. 

Excellent defender at this level

Baker had issues with lingering concussion - hence the headaches.

It's a severe issue - a precursor to brain damage.

He needed his 'brain injury' (because thats what concussion is) to be given time.

He's rested - obviously given the green light to start heading the ball again - so he plays again.

Concussion is career ending.

Welcome back Bakes - good luck mate.

Some of the comments on here are really judgemental - look up concussion, and see what he has fought through.

Happy to see him back.

1 hour ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Excellent defender at this level

Baker had issues with lingering concussion - hence the headaches.

It's a severe issue - a precursor to brain damage.

He needed his 'brain injury' (because thats what concussion is) to be given time.

He's rested - obviously given the green light to start heading the ball again - so he plays again.

Concussion is career ending.

Welcome back Bakes - good luck mate.

Some of the comments on here are really judgemental - look up concussion, and see what he has fought through.

Happy to see him back.

Understand the sentiments here. However, it only makes the decision to re-sign him more bizarre.

Good defender on his day, but football is a business, and signing someone with underlying health issues is only asking for problems - reduced wages or not.

Very much hope he proves me wrong.

35 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Blimey fans were negative about Webster joining us!?

I recall the vast swell of opinion was that he was a very good player but questions were asked about his injury record which wasn’t great. 
A club like ours cannot afford to stockpile assets who don’t give value for money.

Can't say just how accurate this is but baring last season he's still put in a hell of a shift for us and in 18/19 we had Webster and Kalas hence the reason for only 16 appearances. 

This whole situation of he's constantly injured seems to just be a bit of hearsay yes he missed practically all of last season injured but he's still put in 30+ games a season otherwise. 

Screenshot_20210629-072941.png

2 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

Can't say just how accurate this is but baring last season he's still put in a hell of a shift for us and in 18/19 we had Webster and Kalas hence the reason for only 16 appearances. 

This whole situation of he's constantly injured seems to just be a bit of hearsay yes he missed practically all of last season injured but he's still put in 30+ games a season otherwise. 

Would be interesting to put those stats up against Liam "Lionel" Walsh.

9 hours ago, billywedlock said:

If we had signed on a free a CB from say Forrest/QPR//Derby that they had once paid 3.5 m for , with 60/70 Prem games and a solid Championship performance record with 35 ish games on avg a season  ( despite last season) and then a 22 year old from Oxford signs few would be moaning . 

Baker on his old deal would  have been nonsense , Baker on a more realistic wage for the current market  has sense.  The club also had to look at who was available ( on a free ) with that type of profile . There are very few and some that would interest may still have cost more etc. 

pragmatic decision by both club and player it seems . 

cant help but feel Fammy is about to fall into a similar trap. Who'd want to pay his wages in the current climate? He (or his many agents) may well have to reduce their demands...or not be paid at all after tomorrow

10 hours ago, billywedlock said:

If we had signed on a free a CB from say Forrest/QPR//Derby that they had once paid 3.5 m for , with 60/70 Prem games and a solid Championship performance record with 35 ish games on avg a season  ( despite last season) and then a 22 year old from Oxford signs few would be moaning . 

Baker on his old deal would  have been nonsense , Baker on a more realistic wage for the current market  has sense.  The club also had to look at who was available ( on a free ) with that type of profile . There are very few and some that would interest may still have cost more etc. 

pragmatic decision by both club and player it seems . 

I think this is the crux of it.

Realistically we knew we were after an experienced central defender as a squad player and the rumour mill was suggesting Tom Lees.

I'd admit I don't know loads about Lees but I couldn't confidently say I think he's a better player than Baker and I suspect that, if another Championship club was offered Baker or Lees, the fans' forum would be pushing for Baker at least as much as - and probably more so - than Lees.

Meanwhile, for all of the concerns about injuries, people are generally excited about Matty James, who has also had a troubled injury record in recent seasons. With both, we just have to hope the medical team have done their due diligence.

At the same time, re-signing Baker is the sort of deal that is only a good move if we succeed in our aim of using the available budget to sign Atkinson or another central defender who can come into the first team and develop into a top player. If we don't go on to sign Atkinson, and don't have an alternative lined up, it could all feel a bit disappointing. If Atkinson comes off though, this is a pragmatic move. 

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

A fully fit NB is a very decent CB but his history shows that he just can’t stay fit for long. For a big and powerful man he’s incredibly fragile.

I predict that we won’t so see much of him next season. He’ll be injured.

3 hours ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

It's as much a case of not finishing games he started in, as it is being unavailable through injury.

He isn't the classiest defender, but he's pretty reliable when he plays.

I just hope we have someone decent to come on from the bench, because I can't see this particular leopard changing his spots. As the body ages, the twinges and strains will become more apparent, not less.

The club aren’t going to sign a player with health conditions. Obviously passed a medical or wouldn’t be signed . The questions to be asked are Is there any better on the free agents list for the money . If we bought a fit Baker from another club how much would he cost . Is he coming for a pay day or to play . I think that we couldn’t or wouldn’t pay the money he was on . He may well have made more money elsewhere maybe not . But shows that he wants to play . Hopefully he stays fit . Don’t think a lot of the time it’s fitness.  it’s a bravery problem puts his body on the line so takes some heavy knocks. Maybe can be coached into winning balls without the heavy impact. If that’s the case maybe the injuries will reduce 

38 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It's as much a case of not finishing games he started in, as it is being unavailable through injury.

He isn't the classiest defender, but he's pretty reliable when he plays.

I just hope we have someone decent to come on from the bench, because I can't see this particular leopard changing his spots. As the body ages, the twinges and strains will become more apparent, not less.

To be honest, that's what I hope Baker is going to be doing...

11 hours ago, billywedlock said:

I thought I would look at the availability of some other CB's of a decent Championship level, and their injury record or availability. Jansen. Lees, Hanley,Mepham,  Troost Ekong etc. and a few others have all had the odd season where they have lost a huge number of games. Even a normal season without a major injury 35 games is pretty good looking at those players. Bakers games played is on par with those players. Of course you will find some better. We recall the comments regarding Webster when he first joined. 

Must come with the CB territory , it's a rough place to play. 

Well, Flint was a CB who got stuck in and his appearance record for City was second to none.

Iirc, from other Baker injury threads - and there have been numerous - where his availability was gone into in detail, the conclusion from the last was that since signing for City permanently he has missed more games than he has played, and of those games he has started he has not completed approx. 1 in 4 of them.

You can't sugar coat a record like that, and it's very hard to see it suddenly improving at 30.

Nevertheless the deed is done, so fingers crossed we see a significant improvement in NB's fitness and availability.

4 hours ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

What worries me about Baker, is not how many matches he’s likely to start, but how many he’s likely to finish. His record of going off injured in the first half, at half time, or within 10 minutes of the start of the second half is terrible. If he can improve his fitness / injury record he’s a great signing. 

47 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think people might have more of a problem with the amount of times Baker comes off early in games, rather than his actual availability record. Before last season he was mainly available to start games.

How many of those have been due to a head injury

2 hours ago, billywedlock said:

You are not being factual and his appearance record is no worse that all of those top class defenders I listed. He had one bad season, last year. In the last 6 seasons 4 of them he played in 34/35 league games, one of  16 games and last season a wipe out. Where does your 1 in 4 fallacy number come from ? Are  you  saying that Jansen. Lees, Hanley,Mepham,  Troost Ekong are a disaster too, or are those clubs sugar coating it too , as some of those have worse appearance records than Baker ? Please explain your injury issue , unless it is related specifically to him having recovered sufficiently from last seasons wipe out, your comments are not fair and misplaced. Even then he would have had to have passed a full medical before signing. 

Did this a couple of weeks back. Top 30 CBs by minutes, includes Vyner who played some in midfield.  Matches played include subbed on.

1B21E503-F64D-4E62-BFFB-39B0FCC49BB8.thumb.jpeg.8768e546ddb58823006400142a4826f6.jpeg

11 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think people might have more of a problem with the amount of times Baker comes off early in games, rather than his actual availability record. Before last season he was mainly available to start games.

Care to tell us how often he has gone off in the first half?

13 hours ago, billywedlock said:

You are not being factual and his appearance record is no worse that all of those top class defenders I listed. He had one bad season, last year. In the last 6 seasons 4 of them he played in 34/35 league games, one of  16 games and last season a wipe out. Where does your 1 in 4 fallacy number come from ? Are  you  saying that Jansen. Lees, Hanley,Mepham,  Troost Ekong are a disaster too, or are those clubs sugar coating it too , as some of those have worse appearance records than Baker ? Please explain your injury issue , unless it is related specifically to him having recovered sufficiently from last seasons wipe out, your comments are not fair and misplaced. Even then he would have had to have passed a full medical before signing. 

Hooray. Its tiresome to read people spout complete bollocks to be honest. Its either they are all brainwashing themselves, or they have some kind of agenda. Because its nonsense. 

Archived