IGNORED

Making your own cider

Ziderarmy

Ona similar ilk to the beer / lager making thread. 

Has anyone ever got into homemade cider / scrump? 

Any advice greatly received. I assume timing wise it’s September to November time most people make it?

Any advice on apples and yield?

I’ll do some proper research but intrigued if others have had a go 

i've been making my own for the last 10 years.

The best (and only ) book you'll need is this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Real-Cider-Making-Small-Scale/dp/1854861956/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=1854861956&psc=1

Basically you'll need to find a good source of apples - it's surprising how many you need. This last year I picked about 5 large trug fulls and it made me approx 28 litres. friends always say 'i got some apples if you want to make cider' and you find they have a bag full, which isn't nearly enough !!

I have a scratter and a small press from here: https://www.vigopresses.co.uk/Catalogue/

but you can always hire one to start with. one tip. don't buy or try the whizzer / cutter device attached to your drill in a bucket. it's annoyingly ineffective (if cheap) get a decent scratter if poss.

You'll need to experiment with your apples. don't just use eating apples. if you have a good source use 70% eaters (sweet) and 30 % cookers (sour) to start. OR...find a good cider orchard and use some of those.

be aware cider apples are specific to cider making so the tannin levels are higher. too many cider apples and it gets really dry cider - i mean REALLY dry.

My ABV ends up at around 7-8% which is pretty strong (Katy is 7% i think) but i do add small amounts of sugar to the final rack into the bell jars and also when i bottle.

I use Ikea flip top bottles and have a stock of glass gallon jars. you'll need a small range of chemicals - see the book - but can get these easily from places like Brewers Droop on Glos Rd. or online. some folk don't like to use sulphites and all that, and just take your chances, but i tend to use one camden tablet per gallon, then after 2 days add champagne yeast to kick it off.

you might find a hydrometer is useful, and after a couple of years i bought myself a PH meter - helps guide you as to the type of cider you're making.

one rule to stick to is you MUST clean your gear well. clean and rinse your glass jars and bottles or run the risk of ending up with a lot of vinegar or off cider. (learn about 'mouse taint' )

It may take a couple of attempts, but it's great fun and pretty easy when you learn how.. and getting smashed on your own clear fizzy cider on a summers day is the best!

My mate and I do the honours every year - keep a close eye on the harvest, can be as early as Sept or late as Oct.

good luck, and honestly get the book.

Duh! Just responded on the Pinter Thread to a Question and mentioned the poster on here re flip-tops. 

If only I had double checked as it was you! :laugh:.

Great thread re cider. I must know more as we planted 5 apple trees 2 years ago (3 Bramleys and 2 James Grieves). It looks like we're going to get about 60 apples in total this year. Dead chuffed. Maybe in September we can discuss how to make cider from these apples?

I now have a Co-Pinter so I'm hoping I could make cider in that. What do you think?

2 hours ago, Antman said:

i've been making my own for the last 10 years.

The best (and only ) book you'll need is this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Real-Cider-Making-Small-Scale/dp/1854861956/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=1854861956&psc=1

Basically you'll need to find a good source of apples - it's surprising how many you need. This last year I picked about 5 large trug fulls and it made me approx 28 litres. friends always say 'i got some apples if you want to make cider' and you find they have a bag full, which isn't nearly enough !!

I have a scratter and a small press from here: https://www.vigopresses.co.uk/Catalogue/

but you can always hire one to start with. one tip. don't buy or try the whizzer / cutter device attached to your drill in a bucket. it's annoyingly ineffective (if cheap) get a decent scratter if poss.

You'll need to experiment with your apples. don't just use eating apples. if you have a good source use 70% eaters (sweet) and 30 % cookers (sour) to start. OR...find a good cider orchard and use some of those.

be aware cider apples are specific to cider making so the tannin levels are higher. too many cider apples and it gets really dry cider - i mean REALLY dry.

My ABV ends up at around 7-8% which is pretty strong (Katy is 7% i think) but i do add small amounts of sugar to the final rack into the bell jars and also when i bottle.

I use Ikea flip top bottles and have a stock of glass gallon jars. you'll need a small range of chemicals - see the book - but can get these easily from places like Brewers Droop on Glos Rd. or online. some folk don't like to use sulphites and all that, and just take your chances, but i tend to use one camden tablet per gallon, then after 2 days add champagne yeast to kick it off.

you might find a hydrometer is useful, and after a couple of years i bought myself a PH meter - helps guide you as to the type of cider you're making.

one rule to stick to is you MUST clean your gear well. clean and rinse your glass jars and bottles or run the risk of ending up with a lot of vinegar or off cider. (learn about 'mouse taint' )

It may take a couple of attempts, but it's great fun and pretty easy when you learn how.. and getting smashed on your own clear fizzy cider on a summers day is the best!

My mate and I do the honours every year - keep a close eye on the harvest, can be as early as Sept or late as Oct.

good luck, and honestly get the book.

My mate makes a few hundred litres of cider and its been steadily improving as he learns the trade (he's a Londoner and knew bugger all about cider prior to moving here).

My main advice, based on his experience, is do not use too many Bramley's - even if donated for free as fallers - because they will make the cider far too sharp.

8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

My mate makes a few hundred litres of cider and its been steadily improving as he learns the trade (he's a Londoner and knew bugger all about cider prior to moving here).

My main advice, based on his experience, is do not use too many Bramley's - even if donated for free as fallers - because they will make the cider far too sharp.

agree with this - Bramleys only if you can't get cider apples.

If you scout around there are loads of old orchards that if you ask nicely will let you have a few trugs full.

and try not to use fallers - they often have more bad bacteria on them.

18 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Duh! Just responded on the Pinter Thread to a Question and mentioned the poster on here re flip-tops. 

If only I had double checked as it was you! :laugh:.

Great thread re cider. I must know more as we planted 5 apple trees 2 years ago (3 Bramleys and 2 James Grieves). It looks like we're going to get about 60 apples in total this year. Dead chuffed. Maybe in September we can discuss how to make cider from these apples?

I now have a Co-Pinter so I'm hoping I could make cider in that. What do you think?

The Pinter ciders have some good reviews - let me know how they go.

cider from scratch will take you longer. i press in Sept/Oct and it starts to become drinkable by about March. but i do try (!) to leave it longer, often without joy, because i like to drink it!

1 hour ago, Antman said:

The Pinter ciders have some good reviews - let me know how they go.

cider from scratch will take you longer. i press in Sept/Oct and it starts to become drinkable by about March. but i do try (!) to leave it longer, often without joy, because i like to drink it!

I reviewed the cider on the other thread. We blind tasted it with Rockshore Cider and  Strongbow. Both were outclassed by the Pinter Cider. It was that obvious.

The final was between the Pinter vs Thatcher's Gold. Thatcher's outclassed it. It was that obvious!

As for Dark Fruits....it's not a cider. Cider can only be made from apples. End of. 

I'm comparing later on tonight as a blind taste Thatcher's Gold vs Tesco Cider. 

Tesco is half the price. Hopefully the taste buds will tell me it's better than Strongbow and Rockshore Cider....not difficult mind.

If it turns out that it's made by Thatcher's (dreaming here) game on!

3 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

I'm comparing later on tonight as a blind taste Thatcher's Gold vs Tesco Cider. 

Tesco is half the price. Hopefully the taste buds will tell me it's better than Strongbow and Rockshore Cider....not difficult mind.

If it turns out that it's made by Thatcher's (dreaming here) game on!

Lidls "Woodgate" cider is all made by Henry Westons.£1.89 for four cans an I find it much better than Gold.The bottles of Vintage are very good too.

Very surprised by the blind test. We had Gold vs Tesco vs Heineken's Orchard Thieves. 

Whilst Orchard T is made in Cork it uses concentrate from European apples. It is the sweetest of all 3 by some margin. 

The strongest in alcohol is Tesco's (5%) followed by Gold (4.8%) and lastly O T at (4.5%). I was pleasantly surprised by Tesco's. I take the driest and cheapest of the 3 but at least it does taste of apples. The aftertaste isn't too bad either. 

If you know your Gold, you can guess straight away after sniffing all 3. Gold stands out with it's fresher and more apply smell.

Gold won overall. My son and I were surprised by the overall quality of Tesco's but it was outclassed by Gold.

Orchard Thieves had a good apple taste but was too sweet for me.

A better test would be for Tesco to take on Strongbow in a blind taste. I have a strong hunch Tesco would win.

7 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Very surprised by the blind test. We had Gold vs Tesco vs Heineken's Orchard Thieves. 

Whilst Orchard T is made in Cork it uses concentrate from European apples. It is the sweetest of all 3 by some margin. 

The strongest in alcohol is Tesco's (5%) followed by Gold (4.8%) and lastly O T at (4.5%). I was pleasantly surprised by Tesco's. I take the driest and cheapest of the 3 but at least it does taste of apples. The aftertaste isn't too bad either. 

If you know your Gold, you can guess straight away after sniffing all 3. Gold stands out with it's fresher and more apply smell.

Gold won overall. My son and I were surprised by the overall quality of Tesco's but it was outclassed by Gold.

Orchard Thieves had a good apple taste but was too sweet for me.

A better test would be for Tesco to take on Strongbow in a blind taste. I have a strong hunch Tesco would win.

I tried Tescos cider a few years back and wasn't very keen.Much preferred Sainsbury's,but haven't had it for a while now.

On 28/06/2021 at 22:00, ziderheadarmy said:

Ona similar ilk to the beer / lager making thread. 

Has anyone ever got into homemade cider / scrump? 

Any advice greatly received. I assume timing wise it’s September to November time most people make it?

Any advice on apples and yield?

I’ll do some proper research but intrigued if others have had a go 

Yeah, I've been making my own brew for a while now. It can be a bugger to get the right types of apples, so I've been sourcing mine from Roger Wilkins in Wedmore, £10 a bag. You must sterlise all of your equipment (scratter, press, demijohns etc) before use, and avoid I tend to avoid using cookers (apples).

We went on holiday in Brixham last September and Hunts is big down there: seems to be on pump in many of the more traditional pubs.  I have to say that I think that Thatchers have a genuine contender for the mass fizzy cider market: preferred the Hunts if I'm being honest.  They also do a very palatable rough cider.  Based in Yalberton between Paignton and Stoke Gabriel if anyone fancies checking them out.

Archived