IGNORED

England v. Germany Matchday Thread

CyderInACan

Surely this deserves it's own thread. 

Huge game for us later against a German team who do seem vulnerable at times. Slightly awkward 5pm KO so hopefully everyone can get home from work/to the pub in time for a pre-match pint or two to calm the nerves. 

Can Kane break his Euro2020 duck? 

Will Grealish start or will he be kept fresh for later in the game? 

Can Sterling notch again? 

After Magic Monday, surely it'll be a dull game? 

C'mon England :drunk2::englandflag::drunk2:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57611058

I'm at work, have cleaners in until 530 at least. 

On the plus side, I will be watching the first half in an air conditioned (if I want it) school hall on a 70" TV whilst "mopping" the floor.

Leave at half time, get home just in time for the second half. We'll probably lose because Southgate is a plank and we're England.

8 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Huge game for us later against a German team who do seem vulnerable at times. Slightly awkward 5pm KO so hopefully everyone can get home from work/to the pub in time for a pre-match pint or two to calm the nerves. 

Totally different games tonight. The sheer arrogance of France (don't you just love it when a team like Switzerland, totally and unjustly disrespected by the fawning media, hands them their arse?) and Spain ironically contributed to two amazing games yesterday. England, Germany, Ukraine, Sweden - I'm not spotting much arrogance there and it will be two very hard fought games of football with nothing like the entertainment we got yesterday. Tbh honest though it's irrelevant, we're in knockout football and Gareth has to get the result using whatever means it takes.

Can I also ask that the constantly negative posters, on this occasion, leave the rest of us to enjoy the build up to the game today and at least wait and see if we get beat tonight before boring the rest of us and kicking off? Or is that too much to ask?

1 minute ago, Gazred said:

"I would never describe England as Germany's biggest rivals," former player Dietmar Hamann told the Daily Telegraph this week. "Our big rivals have always been seen as the most likely to challenge us."

Completely agree with him. A rivalry based on a war that nobody watching tonight were around for. Germany v England isn’t seen as a massive rivalry in Germany 

Just now, And Its Smith said:

Completely agree with him. A rivalry based on a war that nobody watching tonight were around for. Germany v England isn’t seen as a massive rivalry in Germany 

Never about war for me, don't tar us all with the same brush thanks.

They've nearly always bettered us on a football pitch, particularly at tournaments. Never forget 90, 96,  we got a win before crashing out in 2000 but that's about it.

We're due one surely.

Southgate won't change the team / formation much imo. Possibly Henderson in for Philips. Otherwise same line up as last game.

1 minute ago, Gazred said:

Never about war for me, don't tar us all with the same brush thanks.

They've nearly always bettered us on a football pitch, particularly at tournaments. Never forget 90, 96,  we got a win before crashing out in 2000 but that's about it.

We're due one surely.

and 1970...Gerd Muller and all that.

31 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Totally different games tonight. The sheer arrogance of France (don't you just love it when a team like Switzerland, totally and unjustly disrespected by the fawning media, hands them their arse?) and Spain ironically contributed to two amazing games yesterday. England, Germany, Ukraine, Sweden - I'm not spotting much arrogance there and it will be two very hard fought games of football with nothing like the entertainment we got yesterday. Tbh honest though it's irrelevant, we're in knockout football and Gareth has to get the result using whatever means it takes.

Can I also ask that the constantly negative posters, on this occasion, leave the rest of us to enjoy the build up to the game today and at least wait and see if we get beat tonight before boring the rest of us and kicking off? Or is that too much to ask?

Can I ask how France showed this perceived arrogance? Glad they are out despite my name as it makes it slightly easier for us. Interested in the arrogance remark though 

3 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Southgate won't change the team / formation much imo. Possibly Henderson in for Philips. Otherwise same line up as last game.

and 1970...Gerd Muller and all that.

A smidge before my time but absolutely. We really are due one.

Maybe I've just got carried away looking at our route to the final etc as well, but I fancy us tonight. I don't think Low is getting the best out of that Germany side, and I know Germany have a lack of options on the right hand side, but it feels like a waste playing arguably the best defensive midfielder in the world at wing back. Bit gutted Mount hasn't been training with the squad though, I think we could use that energy to help shut down Gundogan and Kroos. 

54 minutes ago, Taz said:

I'm at work, have cleaners in until 530 at least. 

On the plus side, I will be watching the first half in an air conditioned (if I want it) school hall on a 70" TV whilst "mopping" the floor.

Leave at half time, get home just in time for the second half. We'll probably lose because Southgate is a plank and we're England.

What, starting from now? You must have a big house!

If we can beat Germany today we have every chance of winning the tournament outright. Probably looking at Sweden in the QF and the Danes in the semis. Can't help but get a bit carried away with this one! Nervous and excited already for 5pm.

59 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Thanks for letting me know, I thought it was 8pm! ???????????????????????????

12 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I found this a really interesting read:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jun/25/england-germany-football-teams-tuesday-heartbreak

Essentially the argument is that it's not a massive rivalry but it's still a big deal in Germany and a big game to Germans as much as to us.

What I've found quite entertaining in the last few days is the fact that, on the one hand, there's the Ten German Bombers thread and all the jingoism from some England fans but, on the other hand, the impression from the German team, players and fans is that they actually quite like us! 

Fingers crossed we finally win for a change. 

17 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It's a massive rivalry here. Putting the war aside (two wars actually), we've had some huge matches with them over the years.

9 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Was that before or after we beat them 5 1

This is the thing though. Germany have won four World Cups and three European Championships. Since that game in 2001 they've reached six semi finals, been European Championship finalists twice, losing World Cup finalist once and one the World Cup one. And also won the Confederations Cup.

Even with that 5 - 1 in the world cup qualifiers, they went on to do better in the World Cup itself than they did.

They give as much of a shit about one ultimately inconsequential defeat twenty years ago as we do about losing to the Czech Republic in the European Championship qualifiers.

Imagine a Northern Ireland supporter still talking about that 1 - 0 victory over us in 2005 and claiming Northern Ireland are major rivals to England as a result and you'll realise exactly how your post would sound to a German football fan. 

7 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I found this a really interesting read:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jun/25/england-germany-football-teams-tuesday-heartbreak

Essentially the argument is that it's not a massive rivalry but it's still a big deal in Germany and a big game to Germans as much as to us.

What I've found quite entertaining in the last few days is the fact that, on the one hand, there's the Ten German Bombers thread and all the jingoism from some England fans but, on the other hand, the impression from the German team, players and fans is that they actually quite like us! 

Fingers crossed we finally win for a change. 

That was really interesting.

Thanks.

Love the bit about the German diplomats thinking oh shit in 66, 20 years of hard work undone if they win, then promptly going off to the pub in relief to get pissed when they lost.

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

I think England have a great relationship with Germany these days, which is why no one minds a bit of lighthearted banter. They're said to love the Fawlty Towers episode about the Germans

A peerless comedy - although watching the Germans episode the other week it did seem a bit cringe nowadays. 

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

This is the thing though. Germany have won four World Cups and three European Championships. Since that game in 2001 they've reached six semi finals, been European Championship finalists twice, losing World Cup finalist once and one the World Cup one. And also won the Confederations Cup.

Even with that 5 - 1 in the world cup qualifiers, they went on to do better in the World Cup itself than they did.

They give as much of a shit about one ultimately inconsequential defeat twenty years ago as we do about losing to the Czech Republic in the European Championship qualifiers.

Imagine a Northern Ireland supporter still talking about that 1 - 0 victory over us in 2005 and claiming Northern Ireland are major rivals to England as a result and you'll realise exactly how your post would sound to a German football fan. 

Get where your coming from and would accept the 1-0 defeat in euro 2000 is not one they would remember but getting beat at home 1-5 by England hurt them massively at the time and would still hurt them now. A bit like our 6-0 home defeat by Cardiff gone but very much not forgotten.

Archived