IGNORED

England v. Germany Matchday Thread

CyderInACan

I spent quite a lot of time in Germany in the 1990s and early 2000s and from what I've seen they quite like us. There IS a BIT of a rivalry there, but nowhere near as big as it is for us. Holland are their bigger rivals - but that would be the same (in rivalry, not relation) as Scotland or Wales for us - and for them it's certainly not about the wars - they reflect quietly and sombrely on that period of their history and (mostly - which surprised me) view events that we commemorate, such as D-day, as the beginning of their own liberation from the Nazi regime. 
For them, they felt cheated in 1966 (did the ball cross the line?) and their press made quite a thing about that when Lampard's perfectly good 'goal' was disallowed and they went on to stuff us out of sight a few years back. They saw that as 'justice'. 
Us beating them 5-1 hurt them for sure, but if you remember it was only a qualifier - and they still went on to qualify, so it wasn't like we knocked them out of the tournament, we just delayed their qualification.
For us however, in football we have fallen at the hands of Germany quite a few times - and the dreaded penalty shootouts in particular have been hard to stomach as an England fan, so it's perhaps no surprise that we hold this game in 'special' esteem more than they do - we have more of a score to settle than they do. Had we knocked THEM out of several tournaments - particularly the 'elf meter' (penalty) way, several times as they have us, then they may view this fixture differently. 

They will DEFINITELY be taking us seriously. They will know (as we do) that we stand in the way of them progressing to the next stages, so I don't expect them to play with complacency, but they won't raise their game like Scotland did either. The Germans have been very good at making 'reasonable' players play as a very efficient team. Their whole is greater than the sum of their parts. They haven't set the tournament alight so far but they will be a typical German team and will be dangerous right up to the final whistle. We can't sit back on a 1-0 lead in this one, or they will equalise in the 89th minute and end up beating us on penalties again.

Everyone seems to accept that Rice is now a starter? I can't see it myself. Give me Phillips any time. Phillips and Henderson in fact. I would like to see rashford start with Kane and sterling. Gonna probably be compressed in the midfield.. Pace in behind might be key.

Really not confident at all sadly, but really bloody hope we do it. Kroos walks in to pretty much every single team in the world, we just don’t seem to have a player like that. Much like the Croatia World Cup game, the class in Modric at that time took over when it really mattered to control the game……i really really hope i’m wrong!

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

On the one occasion I've been to Germany, sailing down the river on a fairly boozy cruise, we all had great fun dancing with them to the German version of Three Lions. Should be a good atmosphere later with (I think) around 45,000 in there 

How big is this boat?

I think matching Germany in a 3-4-3 makes sense, as you want to push Gosens and Kimmich back as much as possible via our own wingbacks. Sterling, Kane and Saka is a decent front line, especially with the pace down the sides that can get in behind Hummels and co. My only issue with no Grealish/Mount/Foden is creating chances, which means we're really relying on Shaw & Trippier to provide width and crosses, as well as Saka and Sterling to run in behind to then hopefully create too. I'm not convinced on Phillips and Rice to provide too much, even though Phillips did break through the lines at times against Croatia which was good to see. 

Kane needs to stay high up the pitch, but I know we'll see him drop deep to find the ball if the Germans are closing off the passing lanes. Mount's pressing energy will be missed as he caused Kroos loads of problems in the Champions League semifinal. We're reliant on Phillips and Rice playing an 8/10 at least tonight and for them to really disrupt the German rhythm in the middle of the park. It is a bit odd that we're not playing our 3 Chelsea players who know a 3-4-3 system so well and who just won the Champions League playing it. Trippier probably in there for his set piece delivery but Reece James is pretty decent at those too. 

Will be an intriguing game, but I do think we can win if we can somehow get it to all come together. 

Everyone knows about us last beating them in a major tournament knockout in the 1966 WC final. We've been here so many times before. 

That said, I don't think this is a vintage German side. If Southgate goes for it with Grealish, Saka, Foden etc, we have a chance. If the Germany that beat Portugal shows up, we will lose. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Jamal Musiala has a heavy influence on the result tonight. 

3 hours ago, frenchred said:

Can I ask how France showed this perceived arrogance? Glad they are out despite my name as it makes it slightly easier for us. Interested in the arrogance remark though 

They played like they only had to be there to win. Pogba’s goal celebration smacked of all about him. Basically a load of fantastic individuals got done by a very solid team.

54 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Really not confident at all sadly, but really bloody hope we do it. Kroos walks in to pretty much every single team in the world, we just don’t seem to have a player like that. Much like the Croatia World Cup game, the class in Modric at that time took over when it really mattered to control the game……i really really hope i’m wrong!

Can’t think of any side in world football that would turn their nose up at Kane, notwithstanding current form.

3 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

If we can beat Germany today we have every chance of winning the tournament outright. Probably looking at Sweden in the QF and the Danes in the semis. Can't help but get a bit carried away with this one! Nervous and excited already for 5pm.

I

just hope we select some great youngsters and give them the right to express themselves.

52 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

I think matching Germany in a 3-4-3 makes sense, as you want to push Gosens and Kimmich back as much as possible via our own wingbacks. Sterling, Kane and Saka is a decent front line, especially with the pace down the sides that can get in behind Hummels and co. My only issue with no Grealish/Mount/Foden is creating chances, which means we're really relying on Shaw & Trippier to provide width and crosses, as well as Saka and Sterling to run in behind to then hopefully create too. I'm not convinced on Phillips and Rice to provide too much, even though Phillips did break through the lines at times against Croatia which was good to see. 

Kane needs to stay high up the pitch, but I know we'll see him drop deep to find the ball if the Germans are closing off the passing lanes. Mount's pressing energy will be missed as he caused Kroos loads of problems in the Champions League semifinal. We're reliant on Phillips and Rice playing an 8/10 at least tonight and for them to really disrupt the German rhythm in the middle of the park. It is a bit odd that we're not playing our 3 Chelsea players who know a 3-4-3 system so well and who just won the Champions League playing it. Trippier probably in there for his set piece delivery but Reece James is pretty decent at those too. 

Will be an intriguing game, but I do think we can win if we can somehow get it to all come together. 

For me Shaw is the stand out weak link here

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Can’t think of any side in world football that would turn their nose up at Kane, notwithstanding current form.

Kane is world class, regardless of his form, but he’s not better than Benzema or Mbappe so don’t think he would get in their side if im honest.

1 minute ago, Clutton Caveman said:

For me Shaw is the stand out weak link here

Bingo…..would rather Trippier at left back & James at right back. Or even Chilwell, he may of been in isolation but his fitness won’t be an issue after just a week, if anything he could be even fresher than the rest.

Archived