IGNORED

England v. Germany Matchday Thread

CyderInACan

3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Just very dignified . And knowledgeable 

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Always liked Jurgen

Wouldn't be disappointed if he were the next England manager tbh. Although I imagine a few of the meatheads would be up in arms about having a German in charge.

4 minutes ago, Taz said:

Wouldn't be disappointed if he were the next England manager tbh. Although I imagine a few of the meatheads would be up in arms about having a German in charge.

Is he in the running for the Spurs job? Would’ve thought that would be a good move. 

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Good interview from Southgate….recognised the risk of matching them up and then losing.  Fair play.

Likewise Dave, dignified, correct and you just know that performance and result meant a lot to him on a personal level.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Is he in the running for the Spurs job? Would’ve thought that would be a good move. 

He put his name forward according to the press, but apparently Levy wants someone less connected with the club (which probably means, he won't spend as the manager wants).

3 hours ago, archie andrews said:

Wtf is that side and line up.... We got no hope

2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

What we saying then . 2-0 England for me

2 hours ago, Redpool said:

Can see us taking a spanking today. Shower of shambles of a midfield. No creativity. 

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Oh no Walker being the like against Croatia. Gives it away in silly areas of the pitch. So careless 

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

England look awful. No excuses. A team with no idea how to pass the ball

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Everything Shaw touching turning to shit. 

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Kane is fing useless 

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Take kane off he is ******* awful

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Sterling loves taking too many touches. 

1 hour ago, Redpool said:

Watch Germany turn up now in 2nd half

Get Kane off ffs 

1 hour ago, Coppello said:

Surprised by the comments on here. I thought we were very controlled but just need a little more in the final third. Saka, Maguire and Walker have been excellent for me. We’re definitely better than them. 

1 hour ago, BCFC Richard said:

Kane comes inside hummels does amazingly to get back - no way Kane should be hitting that first time. He's unlucky, just great defending. 

The reactions on here you'd think we were being battered or playing some second rate team. 

1 hour ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Thought we played pretty well. Germany look pretty shit and we had a few decent chances.

Overeactions all over the gaff. 

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

I really struggle with this . We have never had the midfield talent available to us as we have today yet our midfield is missing . This is tactics . Not one of them plays like this at club level . 3 defenders at that back marking one.  so we are short in the middle . Hopeless long balls as there are no padding options . It’s 1980s stuff.  Germany are so beatable no doubt . I look at the quality and experience of the coaches at other teams and think of Southgate and Boro . It is a criminal waste of talent . Is Rice on the field ? On what basis do you drop Grealish . Harry Kane has had zero service in 5 games . 

Tactics and personnel are wrong we can be much much better . We have players who perform and win at the best clubs . This retro approach is sad . 

1 hour ago, Redpool said:

Change it Southgate you useless sardine 

1 hour ago, GodEmperor Palpatine said:

No we shouldn't, Germany aren't no mugs now, are they?!

1 hour ago, harrys said:

Can’t Southgate see how woeful Kane has been all tournament, he has been totally awful

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

What an idiotic change . Defender off , or at least Rice who has been awol all game . We need midfield options . 

1 hour ago, harrys said:

Been obvious from the start that we are playing for penalties, can be the only reason for keeping Kane on

With the exception of @Red Army 75, @Coppelloand @BCFC Richard the rest of you need to take a good hard look at yourselves. :) This is why I never go near match day threads.

58 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

That's an awful miss from Muller.....

I am a lifelong confirmed atheist, but when my prayer for Muller to miss was answered, I very nearly wavered.. :)  

1 minute ago, Harry said:

He's called Levy to say he is interested but it doesn't look like he is in the frame. At this rate Ryan Mason will get the job!

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

With the exception of @Red Army 75, @Coppelloand @BCFC Richard the rest of you need to take a good hard look at yourselves. :) This is why I never go near match day threads.

I am a lifelong confirmed atheist, but when my prayer for Muller to miss was answered, I very nearly wavered.. :)  

it’s part and parcel of being a football fan - we all get it wrong from time to time 

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

A World Cup semi after winning on pens, beating Germany in a major tournament. Southgate has to be seen as one of the best England managers of all time now. Unbelievable win and performance 

And, back on planet earth... 

Still won nothing.

Not a dig at you, just that we have haven't done anything on a world stage since Sir Alf.

Being slightly less of a loser isn't a badge to celebrate. Hopefully this tournament will end that.

@Port Said Red I go on MDT, but not during the game.  Learned a long time ago that criticising a team selection w/o hearing why is just gonna bite you on the arse.  My “moment” was Newcastle away when I criticised Wilbraham selection.  We drew 2-2 and he scored a fine header.  I’ll post my observations at h-t….but the need to jump on the first mistake a “scapegoat” player makes baffles me. The agendas of some crack me up. I do like to read them back afterwards, your post is a classic.

7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

A World Cup semi after winning on pens, beating Germany in a major tournament. Southgate has to be seen as one of the best England managers of all time now. Unbelievable win and performance 

He has put all the demons to bed

Except one..

7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

We did beat Germany in 2000 too…1-0 Shearer header.

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

And, back on planet earth... 

Still won nothing.

Not a dig at you, just that we have haven't done anything on a world stage since Sir Alf.

Being slightly less of a loser isn't a badge to celebrate. Hopefully this tournament will end that.

Ummm.. I think you are forgetting the very prestigious Tournoi de France! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Tournoi_de_France

So prestigious it's only really remembered because thats where Roberto Carlos scored that insane free kick. 

32 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I think (with benefit of hindsight) this game we were set up about right.

We should have been more expansive against lesser sides for sure, but thought especially the first half it was more a case of 2 sides cancelling each other out a lot.

There definitely was a lack of movement from our players at times, but (again this is IMO) individually the Germans had a better midfield pair and stronger CBs than us, and goalkeeper too, so I can absolutely understand a cautiousness in this game.

Again, against sides like Czech Republic, and the ones left in our half of the draw I'd expect more, but today was spot on.

We limited a strong side to very few clear cut chances and got what was actually a pretty comfortable win in the end.

With Southgate I wouldn't say I'm a fan per se, thought he was a very underwhelming appointment, but the criticism he gets is extremely OTT a lot of the time and he has earned himself the benefit of doubt with the results so far in tournaments.

He became more cautious as a result of our inability to manage the second half of the WC semi final and later the shambolic defending against Netherlands in the Nations League I think.

Which was fair enough and has worked to make us harder to beat in tournaments. The trick now is to make small adjustments to make more of our attacking talents.

He is intelligent and level headed and a great man manager so he can do it I'm sure.

13 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Germany are not mugs though, at one stage they looked the only team who were going to win. Thankfully Southgate brought on Grealish.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We did beat Germany in 2000 too…1-0 Shearer header.

As a result Germany completely restructured their football from top to bottom. Rafa Honigstein's book Das Reboot is very good on that.

In player and tactical development we have closed the gap to a great extent now. Capello reckoned English players could only play 4-4-2 as they didn't have the football brains to cope with anything more sophisticated. Not any more though.

19 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

You quoted me, and slagged me off even though I defended the performance despite the criticism, odd.

Archived