IGNORED

England v. Germany Matchday Thread

CyderInACan

14 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

And, back on planet earth... 

Still won nothing.

Not a dig at you, just that we have haven't done anything on a world stage since Sir Alf.

Being slightly less of a loser isn't a badge to celebrate. Hopefully this tournament will end that.

Interestingly Sir Alf was labelled a “defensive” manager with his wingless wonders and leaving out Jimmy Greaves in the latter stages of the 66 WC, but proved his critics wrong.

Southgate seems to be similarly going against the grain and resisting the general clamour to pick flair players and an expansive formation, but seems to have Sir Alf’s knack of getting it right when it matters.

It begs a similar question of England, that’s often been raised of City in the last couple of seasons - would we prefer entertaining, but ultimately glorious failure, or more pragmatic success?

Job done. As said earlier, it’s not about playing beautiful flowing football in tournaments, it’s about being hard to beat and grinding out wins. All 3 centre backs played fantastically well.

Grealish has earned a start, especially against Sweden/Ukraine who will sit back more and make it hard to play in behind.

3 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Also, I bloody love Sterling. Wonder what the poor chap has to do to win the masses over, he’s been a very dangerous attacker for donkeys years now.

I’ll openly admit I’m a big critic and still not convinced by him because once the option to run in behind has been removed, he’s clueless. He’s often far too indecisive on the ball when not in front of goal. That being said, I’m glad he’s scoring for us and I hope he proves me wrong all the way to the final and lifts the trophy. Also thought he looked really poor for Man City in Europe this season, but that doesn’t matter as he’s showing up for England!

14 minutes ago, chinapig said:

He became more cautious as a result of our inability to manage the second half of the WC semi final and later the shambolic defending against Netherlands in the Nations League I think.

Which was fair enough and has worked to make us harder to beat in tournaments. The trick now is to make small adjustments to make more of our attacking talents.

He is intelligent and level headed and a great man manager so he can do it I'm sure.

We just out-Germanned the Germans.

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

Great win and of course you have to enjoy days like today.
But obviously there were a lot of fans cheering on Germany, so can I just take a moment to send commiserations to all of Scotland ?

And our Welsh friend on here who was pretty unhappy after their thrashing 

25 minutes ago, petehinton said:

A World Cup semi after winning on pens, beating Germany in a major tournament. Southgate has to be seen as one of the best England managers of all time now. Unbelievable win and performance 

Hmmm, slightly over the top praise methinks. He hasn't won anything. Getting to a WC semi final beating the might of Panama, Tunisia, Sweden & Colombia on pens, losing to the only decent 2 teams he faced, Belgium & Croatia.......nowhere near one of the best. And that's why we love this game, full of opinions....

24 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

And, back on planet earth... 

Still won nothing.

Not a dig at you, just that we have haven't done anything on a world stage since Sir Alf.

Being slightly less of a loser isn't a badge to celebrate. Hopefully this tournament will end that.

Best Manager in my lifetime then and im 27, So best manager for a generation. People used to laud Sven for taking us the quarters and then hit a wall every time!

2 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Hmmm, slightly over the top praise methinks. He hasn't won anything. Getting to a WC semi final beating the might of Panama, Tunisia, Sweden & Colombia on pens, losing to the only decent 2 teams he faced, Belgium & Croatia.......nowhere near one of the best. And that's why we love this game, full of opinions....

He got us to comfortably our best World Cup performance since '66.

Can only beat whats put in front of you.

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Great win and of course you have to enjoy days like today.
But obviously there were a lot of fans cheering on Germany, so can I just take a moment to send commiserations to all of Scotland ?

To be fair, some of the Rangers fans are quite okay with England winning, unlike Celtic who despise us.

It must be a Unionist thing.

Brilliant result. Last time beat Germany in knock out stage was 66 when I watched it with my Dad. Got me hooked on football and over the years dread to think what I have spent.  Quite emotional on a number levels. 
That said Kane pretty poor throughout and while he might now come good  as a result of his goal, Perhaps it’s time for a change Saturday…and give him a rest..

Grealish..that guy can conquer the world..I just want to see him starting and playing behind striker.  Fantastic afternoon.. 

Just now, BanburyRed said:

World Cup 1990?

What Southgate did for me is make me interested in England again. After years of shite we are competitive again. 

1990 was epic but a bazillion years ago and ultimately we failed. Let’s forget we scraped out group, got lucky with the draw (Cameroon) and had the best young player in the world and still failed….

2 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Brilliant result. Last time beat Germany in knock out stage was 66 when I watched it with my Dad. Got me hooked on football and over the years dread to think what I have spent.  Quite emotional on a number levels. 
That said Kane pretty poor throughout and while he might now come good  as a result of his goal, Perhaps it’s time for a change Saturday…and give him a rest..

Grealish..that guy can conquer the world..I just want to see him starting and playing behind striker.  Fantastic afternoon.. 

What he said 

21 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Job done. As said earlier, it’s not about playing beautiful flowing football in tournaments, it’s about being hard to beat and grinding out wins. All 3 centre backs played fantastically well.

Grealish has earned a start, especially against Sweden/Ukraine who will sit back more and make it hard to play in behind.

I’ll openly admit I’m a big critic and still not convinced by him because once the option to run in behind has been removed, he’s clueless. He’s often far too indecisive on the ball when not in front of goal. That being said, I’m glad he’s scoring for us and I hope he proves me wrong all the way to the final and lifts the trophy. Also thought he looked really poor for Man City in Europe this season, but that doesn’t matter as he’s showing up for England!

Of course all round play is important, but when you post the numbers he posts a lot is forgivable. I think he scored/assisted 17 in the prem this season and that was his ‘bad’ season, that’s great numbers for a wide player. He’s bound to lose the ball occasionally as he’s taking people on, and I thought he drove us forward well tonight in a team often set up to hold. Horses for courses, and as you say, let’s hope we’re debating him all the way to the final ???????

52 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

With the exception of @Red Army 75, @Coppelloand @BCFC Richard the rest of you need to take a good hard look at yourselves. :) This is why I never go near match day threads.

I am a lifelong confirmed atheist, but when my prayer for Muller to miss was answered, I very nearly wavered.. :)  

take a good hard look?

Why? We were poor tonight and it was no "masterclass" by Southgate. Quite simply, Germany didn't show up. If they did, that games over by half time. Again, Southgate got his tactics wrong with an entire defensive setup. Quite interesting that when he brings on Grealish, the game opens up and his involvement leads to our two goals. 

Yes, Kane scored. But apart from that. What else did he contribute? Diddly squat

Two good goals scored. But that does not mask another poor and tactically inept performance.

Southgate needs to grow a pair and drop either Rice or Phillips (presumably Phillips) and put in a creative player such as Foden or Grealish. He cannot continue with such a negative and boring setup which will eventually catch us out. 

Archived