IGNORED

England v. Germany Matchday Thread

CyderInACan

4 hours ago, CheddarReds said:

I said on page 1 of the thread I fancied us but I didn't expect it to feel so comfortable. Great performance and result.

A tick next to Southgate's name for me tonight. In WC2018 we got to the semi's but we only beat sides we should be beating. As soon as we played someone half decent we lost (Croatia and Belgium x2). Although this was probably the worst Germany squad in my lifetime and Low is not getting the most out of that group, we comfortably beat a good side with lots of experience and plenty of quality. A real boost that's given me more confidence. 

Being on the easier side of the draw on paper and effectively having home advantage, it really is our tournament to lose now. 

Great watch and well done to Southgate and the boys.

Was fantastic to hear Southgate get some redemption tonight. He said that Euro 96 still hurts but it was good to see him give those Euro 96 players and the rest of the nation an evening to remember, especially after a difficult 18 months or so.

Come on!

We didnt comfortably beat them, come on!! 

5 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

Don't start him...

Bring him on (again) with about 25 to go...

It's going to be a warm evening in Rome on Saturday - his trickery,,energy & fresh legs will be vital as the game stretches & should put it to bed inside '90 - and will cause havoc should extra time be needed..

Of course he should start, he’s our best and most creative player, if/when he starts to tire we have the luxury of being able to bring on Foden, Sako, Bellingham etc

6 minutes ago, harrys said:

Of course he should start, he’s our best and most creative player, if/when he starts to tire we have the luxury of being able to bring on Foden, Sako, Bellingham etc

As Southgate seems to be the "horses for courses" type I think he will have the more expressive players in the starting 11, but the way he has used his subs so far has been excellent. There has always seemed to be a reason other than just resting someone or "game management", and this squad arguably is built to take advantage of the 5/6 subs rule.

7 hours ago, 2015 said:

Going to bed tonight very proud of our English players. 

The boys who were there in 2018, and the lads who have joined the squad since - England through and through. 

No mention of previous England sides but there just seems something different about this group, they genuinely love playing for the shirt.

Atmosphere at Wembley was simply incredible.

Onto the Quarters!

Agree wholeheartedly. We have a squad to be proud of. I'm not saying players in the past didn't have pride in the shirt, but right now we have a squad and manager, and back room staff who all seem to really care and enjoy representing their country. It's not the burden it once was.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Main thing now is we dont underestimate Ukraine who have some decent players. 

I was wondering if he'll match them up as he did against the Germans.

Same team for me tho... they deserve it.

Apart from Henderson for Rice who I thought was poor.

9 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

As someone else said earlier in the thread, in '90 we played poorly in most games.

In '96 didn't play that well in some games, but what they have that 2021 doesn't is nostalgia.

In 2018 we outperformed '98.

Simple as that.

I don’t disagree or mean to be pedantic, but given your age have you watched these games from the 90s?

2 minutes ago, Will Rollason said:

I was wondering if he'll match them up as he did against the Germans.

Same team for me tho... they deserve it.

Apart from Henderson for Rice who I thought was poor.

I think if Henderson hadn't been injured back end of regular season he'd be starting regularly. He's been immense for Liverpool last few seasons. 

11 hours ago, petehinton said:

Best Manager in my lifetime then and im 27, So best manager for a generation. People used to laud Sven for taking us the quarters and then hit a wall every time!

Sven was a poor England manager. Had an exceptional group of players but they weren't up to it when we got to the business end of tournaments.  This current lot are a better team but with less talented players.

Just now, TomF said:

I think if Henderson hadn't been injured back end of regular season he'd be starting regularly. He's been immense for Liverpool last few seasons. 

Captain of champions League winners.... Yes please...I know he got a half against the Czechs.. Maybe start him against Ukraine? 

Phillips was my MOM by the way.. Some old school Leeds midfield play going on??

5 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Who said anything about taking part ? The comment was anyone alive who remembers the war. I,m sure anyone who was older than 83 or 84 would have vivid memories.

You do you. Keep getting all steamed up over something that happened over eighty years ago. Pathetic.

11 hours ago, Redpool said:

take a good hard look?

Why? We were poor tonight and it was no "masterclass" by Southgate. Quite simply, Germany didn't show up. If they did, that games over by half time. Again, Southgate got his tactics wrong with an entire defensive setup. Quite interesting that when he brings on Grealish, the game opens up and his involvement leads to our two goals. 

Yes, Kane scored. But apart from that. What else did he contribute? Diddly squat

Two good goals scored. But that does not mask another poor and tactically inept performance.

Southgate needs to grow a pair and drop either Rice or Phillips (presumably Phillips) and put in a creative player such as Foden or Grealish. He cannot continue with such a negative and boring setup which will eventually catch us out. 

Maybe, just maybe, Southgate knows more about football than you?

If you can't just enjoy the win and accept that we wont blow everybody away like were Prime Brazil then you may as well just stop watching?

5 hours ago, Redstoke said:

It wasn't 2018 Sweden, but it was fairly comfortable. A couple of great saves from Pickford (that's what keepers are there to do) and yes an awful missed chance by Muller that we created for them. Other than that, I think we managed the game very well and didn't ever look like losing

20 minutes ago, Will Rollason said:

Captain of champions League winners.... Yes please...I know he got a half against the Czechs.. Maybe start him against Ukraine? 

Phillips was my MOM by the way.. Some old school Leeds midfield play going on??

I do worry about Phillips tbh. You can't knock his enthusiasm but he can be a bit reckless hope this doesn't cost us.

5 hours ago, Redstoke said:

It was a pretty comfortable victory, Germany didn't look very scary yesterday and at no point was I overly concerned that England would lose. The only real concern was they would grind out a draw and then we'd lose on penalties.

3 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I feel it is only right to admit I fell asleep in the first half.

I nearly did as well, it was more of the same, drab and uninspiring. Second half was sooo much better especially when Grealish came on.

15 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

The Germans have midfielders that are far more creative than ours and can score a goal. Would have loved to see Bellingham. If it goes South I hope we throw on Sancho, Grealish, Mount and Foden.

15 hours ago, Redpool said:

Can see us taking a spanking today. Shower of shambles of a midfield. No creativity. 

hindsight’s a wonderful thing ?

The main reason I  try not to react before a game although I’m far from perfect regarding it. 
We’re a nightmare in this country , myself included of bigging up the opposition & slagging off our own . We’ve got a hell of a squad though.  

24 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Maybe, just maybe, Southgate knows more about football than you?

If you can't just enjoy the win and accept that we wont blow everybody away like were Prime Brazil then you may as well just stop watching?

It reads like the post of someone who doesn’t understand how pacing or momentum works when using subs. Bringing Grealish on against their defender who was already booked as players were beginning to tire was exactly right. He probably wouldn’t have been as effective from the start and we clearly planned to use Saka and Sterling to press their defence. 

Also, all Kane needs to contribute is goals. Doesn’t matter if he doesn’t do anything else. I may be wrong but if I remember correctly RedPool might be German/live in Germany which may explain their tone.

Loved reading this thread this morning . It goes to show ( like myself) none of us know **** all about football really . Some of the comments are boarding on ridiculous but obviously there’s a lot nerves involved. 
At the time , watching with friends . I thought we dropped off too much first ten . Then after we got opened up for the free kick , rice booked , we took control & we're much the better side.

Any of us of a certain age , scarred by 1990&1996 that was a huge relief . 

12 hours ago, Redpool said:

take a good hard look?

Why? We were poor tonight and it was no "masterclass" by Southgate. Quite simply, Germany didn't show up. If they did, that games over by half time. Again, Southgate got his tactics wrong with an entire defensive setup. Quite interesting that when he brings on Grealish, the game opens up and his involvement leads to our two goals. 

Yes, Kane scored. But apart from that. What else did he contribute? Diddly squat

Two good goals scored. But that does not mask another poor and tactically inept performance.

Southgate needs to grow a pair and drop either Rice or Phillips (presumably Phillips) and put in a creative player such as Foden or Grealish. He cannot continue with such a negative and boring setup which will eventually catch us out. 

Benny Hill What GIF

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

Loved reading this thread this morning . It goes to show ( like myself) none of us know **** all about football really . Some of the comments are boarding on ridiculous but obviously there’s a lot nerves involved. 
At the time , watching with friends . I thought we dropped off too much first ten . Then after we got opened up for the free kick , rice booked , we took control & we're much the better side.

Any of us of a certain age , scarred by 1990&1996 that was a huge relief . 

I don’t think it means that necessarily, just shows that people will disagree about tactics and how they see the game.

All irrelevant now really, but had Werner/Muller scored and we’d lost those that criticised the formation before kick off would’ve been vindicated. Such fine margins at that level.

Archived