IGNORED

England v. Germany Matchday Thread

CyderInACan

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I know its fashionable to hate Southgate and every choice he ever makes, but he's done a good job.

Semi finals in the World Cup, minimum of Quarter finals this time, with Spain the biggest threat left.

Would be nice if our football was a bit more expansive, but more than happy with a conservative style that sees us do well for once.

Some here would moan if we won the final 1-0.

I am actually a Southgate fan but I do think we only need to be a bit more expansive. 3-4-3 was the right set up but the wing backs were not pushing on.

When Grealish came on he was always looking to drive forward and that encouraged Shaw to do the same. Kane also started making forward runs instead of ambling around.

No need to be gung ho, just have a bit more belief and play more vertically, get Sterling and Grealish running at defenders, supported by the wing backs, get in behind the defence and goals will come.

England score and the entire BBC commentary team leap into the air to celebrate except one person - Jürgen Klinsmann. To be fair he was very respectful and honest at the end of the match 

8F202135-EB9E-4C6F-B6FB-783966DECBF7.jpeg

59 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Trippier bern fine….Shaw not expansive enough.

Shaw got forward twice….once to assist Sterling, once to win possession and drive forward for Kane’s goal.  Kimmich did nothing.  I’d say job done.  

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

England score and the entire BBC commentary team leap into the air to celebrate except one person - Jürgen Klinsmann. To be fair he was very respectful and honest at the end of the match 

8F202135-EB9E-4C6F-B6FB-783966DECBF7.jpeg

Jurgen is a class act in fairness.

Just now, chinapig said:

I am actually a Southgate fan but I do think we only need to be a bit more expansive. 3-4-3 was the right set up but the wing backs were not pushing on.

When Grealish came on he was always looking to drive forward and that encouraged Shaw to do the same. Kane also started making forward runs instead of ambling around.

No need to be gung ho, just have a bit more belief and play more vertically, get Sterling and Grealish running at defenders, supported by the wing backs, get in behind the defence and goals will come.

I think (with benefit of hindsight) this game we were set up about right.

We should have been more expansive against lesser sides for sure, but thought especially the first half it was more a case of 2 sides cancelling each other out a lot.

There definitely was a lack of movement from our players at times, but (again this is IMO) individually the Germans had a better midfield pair and stronger CBs than us, and goalkeeper too, so I can absolutely understand a cautiousness in this game.

Again, against sides like Czech Republic, and the ones left in our half of the draw I'd expect more, but today was spot on.

We limited a strong side to very few clear cut chances and got what was actually a pretty comfortable win in the end.

With Southgate I wouldn't say I'm a fan per se, thought he was a very underwhelming appointment, but the criticism he gets is extremely OTT a lot of the time and he has earned himself the benefit of doubt with the results so far in tournaments.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Shaw got forward twice….once to assist Sterling, once to win possession and drive forward for Kane’s goal.  Kimmich did nothing.  I’d say job done.  

He started getting forward when Grealish came on. In the first half he was too deep but with him and Grealish we started to get behind them at last.

18 minutes ago, bcfcbulgaria said:

Well done Pickford as well - two crucial saves 

I was half hoping someone would step up and take his place before the tournament, but he has been fantastic and is looking composed and confident. Fantastic distribution and some world class saves. 

3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Got to love Jurgen Klinsmann. Classy 

Watching in the US a so can't see/hear what he's been saying post game. Could you share?

Edit: Never-mind just saw this on the bbc live text feed:

You have to recognise the moment. This is England's moment. You've got to realise if you go through the quarter-final you play a semi-final here, and you maybe have a sell-out crowd in the final.

It's not going to be an easy road to the final, but it's doable. Now they have showed the belief, Harry Kane broke through and the energy is high. You've got to take advantage of that and win this all.

Archived