Jump to content
IGNORED

England v. Germany Matchday Thread


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, BCFC Richard said:

Still think Werner goal would have been ruled out by VAR. Watching Sweden vs Ukraine if we play Sweden they get so many players back nearly always 5-7 player in there box when Ukraine attack. I think as you say Grealish would be essential-  he'd either unlock the defensive or draw fouls. Have trippier in as well and work on set pieces. 

I have no probs at all if Southgate sees that as the tactic to beat either of those.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, that went well then! It’s mixed emotions for me though. We had tickets for Rome QF’s this Saturday and now I find out it would have been England…

Gutted to say the least! England/City flag would have been in Rome…

  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Re Luke Shaw, forget the assist and hockey-assist, he completely nullified one of Germany”s most dangerous players - Kimmich.  Sometimes stopping a specific opponent is key and although Shaw was safe in possession it was clear he was instructed to stay right side of Kimmich.  How many times did Kroos get on the ball in our third?  Rarely.  Two teams out there, have to respect that imho.

In the first half in particular I thought it was more a case of Kimmich being told not to over commit as that would give Sterling room to run on to balls played in behind. I felt Shaw was too deep to be the first to inhibit Kimmich.

In the second half Shaw had clearly been told to push up higher. That kept Kimmich busy and made us more dangerous in attack.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

A World Cup semi after winning on pens, beating Germany in a major tournament. Southgate has to be seen as one of the best England managers of all time now. Unbelievable win and performance 

I think this is extremely OTT. Southgate has beaten Germany and a lot of also rans at major tournaments. 

While tonight’s result was good, I certainly won’t be getting too carried away. 

Long May it continue, but he didn’t deserve the job, and tonight aside he’s done little to impress me other than make an extremely talented squad underperform. 

Soz. 

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

A World Cup semi after winning on pens, beating Germany in a major tournament. Southgate has to be seen as one of the best England managers of all time now. Unbelievable win and performance 

I think this is extremely OTT. Southgate has beaten Germany and a lot of also rans at major tournaments. 

While tonight’s result was good, I certainly won’t be getting too carried away. 

Long May it continue, but he didn’t deserve the job, and tonight aside he’s done little to impress me other than make an extremely talented squad underperform. 

Soz. 

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

A World Cup semi after winning on pens, beating Germany in a major tournament. Southgate has to be seen as one of the best England managers of all time now. Unbelievable win and performance 

I think this is extremely OTT. Southgate has beaten Germany and a lot of also rans at major tournaments. 

While tonight’s result was good, I certainly won’t be getting too carried away. 

Long May it continue, but he didn’t deserve the job, and tonight aside he’s done little to impress me other than make an extremely talented squad underperform. 

Soz. 
 

*Ive posted this three times so you definitely get the message! 😂

Edited by Fordy62
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

In the first half in particular I thought it was more a case of Kimmich being told not to over commit as that would give Sterling room to run on to balls played in behind. I felt Shaw was too deep to be the first to inhibit Kimmich.

In the second half Shaw had clearly been told to push up higher. That kept Kimmich busy and made us more dangerous in attack.

Exactly how I saw it.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think Rice shows naivety / inexperience in the DM role, it’s such a crucial position in international football.  I’d prefer Henderson in there, but not sure how that affects Phillips, as both probably prefer right side of a two.

Kane had a few more positive touches tonight, but he’s on his heels.

Several players did “their jobs” tonight.

Here goes, based on general performances rather than weighting on goals / assist “moments”, 6 is earning his corn:

Pickford 7

Trippier 7

Walker 8

Stones 6

Maguire 7

Shaw 6/7

Phillips 6

Rice 5/6

Sako 7

Kane 5

Sterling 7

xxxxxxxx

Grealish 7

Henderson n/a

 

 

Think I broadly agree with those - Personally I'd bump Maguire up to an 8 and probably Stones & Phillips to a 7. Think Sterling did lots of unsung work but perhaps not enough to bump to an 8. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, chinapig said:

In the first half in particular I thought it was more a case of Kimmich being told not to over commit as that would give Sterling room to run on to balls played in behind. I felt Shaw was too deep to be the first to inhibit Kimmich.

In the second half Shaw had clearly been told to push up higher. That kept Kimmich busy and made us more dangerous in attack.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

Exactly how I saw it.

 

Well, that’s good then…shows other teams change to stop us (Sterling in this case).  Too many posters think it’s just a case of picking eleven players and their performance is down to their ability / inability alone, nothing to do with opponents trying to stop them.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Southgate is in a results business and at the moment, and for the last 3 years he’s been getting good results. In 10 years time if we’ve won the Euros nobody is going to be looking back and saying, yeah we won but he should have played Grealish. 
England were largely ordinary against the Swiss and Scots in Euro 96 but nobody remembers that amongst all the nostalgia. 
We do have a lot of flair attacking players but we will never play with the freedom of a team like Brazil. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
Just now, Dredd said:

Southgate is in a results business and at the moment, and for the last 3 years he’s been getting good results. In 10 years time if we’ve won the Euros nobody is going to be looking back and saying, yeah we won but he should have played Grealish. 
England were largely ordinary against the Swiss and Scots in Euro 96 but nobody remembers that amongst all the nostalgia. 
We do have a lot of flair attacking players but we will never play with the freedom of a team like Brazil. 

People would do well to remember how we moaned about Sven only getting us to quarter finals but look what happened after him. Total mess. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think Rice shows naivety / inexperience in the DM role, it’s such a crucial position in international football.  I’d prefer Henderson in there, but not sure how that affects Phillips, as both probably prefer right side of a two.

Kane had a few more positive touches tonight, but he’s on his heels.

Several players did “their jobs” tonight.

Here goes, based on general performances rather than weighting on goals / assist “moments”, 6 is earning his corn:

Pickford 7

Trippier 7

Walker 8

Stones 6

Maguire 7

Shaw 6/7

Phillips 6

Rice 5/6

Sako 7

Kane 5

Sterling 7

xxxxxxxx

Grealish 7

Henderson n/a

 

 

I think I’d change Stones to a 7 and Trippier to a 6

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Well, that’s good then…shows other teams change to stop us (Sterling in this case).  Too many posters think it’s just a case of picking eleven players and their performance is down to their ability / inability alone, nothing to do with opponents trying to stop them.

I was watching in the pub and there were several around me saying Shaw needed to get forward more in the first half and we were being too cautious. It really is amazing how differently we all see the game.

The support never wavered, just the opinions, which is good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bcfc01 said:

I was watching in the pub and there were several around me saying Shaw needed to get forward more in the first half and we were being too cautious. It really is amazing how differently we all see the game.

The support never wavered, just the opinions, which is good.

I thought Jenas had a point when he suggested taking off Shaw, bringing on Grealish and putting Saka at LWB. Who knows how it would've panned out but Southgate got the sub spot on with both Grealish and Shaw getting assists + a clean sheet. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

I was watching in the pub and there were several around me saying Shaw needed to get forward more in the first half and we were being too cautious. It really is amazing how differently we all see the game.

The support never wavered, just the opinions, which is good.

I think Shaw needed to at least try a forward burst once or twice, just to make Germany think twice.  But I saw the game as one to stay in it, not chase the game and wait for our chance….we almost got it from Maguire and Kane first half, and did second half.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Southgate is in a results business and at the moment, and for the last 3 years he’s been getting good results. In 10 years time if we’ve won the Euros nobody is going to be looking back and saying, yeah we won but he should have played Grealish. 
England were largely ordinary against the Swiss and Scots in Euro 96 but nobody remembers that amongst all the nostalgia. 
We do have a lot of flair attacking players but we will never play with the freedom of a team like Brazil. 

This is it. I've said it before, there's very few instances in international football where a team wins a tournament by tearing all of their opponents apart. England got over a major psychological hurdle by beating Germany this evening, it will do the world of good for their believe.

Going into today's tournament we had won ONE knockout game in the Euros in the last 53 years. Fans are expecting us to play with a gung-ho approach but we'd continue to win very little. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think we’d be blind, and naive, to say there weren’t question marks over a few after today. Remember the strength of a manager is changing things when they’re going well, not when they’re going badly.

Two players stick out for me as being largely ineffective - firstly Declan Rice. Not sure he’s been a great screen, and if you take the Muller chance, he’s caught up the pitch and doesn’t get back - if he’s in position, that ball isn’t through. He’s had four poor games on the bounce and I don’t think he justifies a place.

The second is Kane. I’m not naive enough to think he’ll be dropped, and I really hope the second half was him kicking into gear. But he’s had one good half in 8.

Pluses - undoubtedly Pickford, Maguire, Stones, Sterling, Phillips, Trippier, Grealish. But it’s not perfect. And I don’t think with Rice and Kane on current form we get anywhere near Italy or Belgium 

Agree with Rice (who I think has re potential as a player) but has been poor in this tournament.

For me all Central Midfielders should be multi role, box to box and be able to link defence and attack - I accept that some players will be better in the tackle and some will be more creative, however all should be a able to pass forward and dictate the the game.

Would like to see more drive in his performance and not be content with just protecting the defence - not sure if this is down to him or modern coaching.

Kane also has been disappointing, but let's not forget how good he can be.

Whether he is not fit or his past injuries are catching up with him - I agree he does not look himself but after todays goal hopeful that this kick-start his tournament.

Would personally start with Grealish just behind him - think he needs more support further up the pitch.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is where VAR doesn’t work.

Thats not a foul nor is it dangerous play. He gets to a loose ball ages before the the Ukrainian, who genuine runs into the Swede.

If you simply pause in the moment where they connect, then of course it looks bad.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Think I broadly agree with those - Personally I'd bump Maguire up to an 8 and probably Stones & Phillips to a 7. Think Sterling did lots of unsung work but perhaps not enough to bump to an 8. 

Thought Phillips did great, popped up in their box a few times some good passing, but more than that constantly broke up the Germans play - seemed to intercept the ball lots of times. Having said that I've said similar things about city players only to have @Davefevs pop up with the actual stats and show me I was clearly wrong! 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, 054123 said:

This is where VAR doesn’t work.

Thats not a foul nor is it dangerous play. He gets to a loose ball ages before the the Ukrainian, who genuine runs into the Swede.

If you simply pause in the moment where they connect, then of course it looks bad.

Very much dangerous play.

There's a fraction of a second between him and the Ukrainian player getting to the ball. Not "ages" at all.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...