IGNORED

England v. Germany Matchday Thread

CyderInACan

Don't care how we do it, just do it. Big game for Southgate who has done a brilliant job so far. He's said he intends on being hard to beat and this is a lesson from years gone by. So basically the last thing that should happen tonight is a defensive mistake costing us the game. 

I predict penalty shootout. 1-1 then England, obviously. 

A high press worked very well against Germany for Hungary, that doesn't really work with Kane. 

And boo to 5 pm ! 

39 minutes ago, Waffleflap said:

I'm watching it on the hills of Dartmoor on me todd with a few little bottles of wine for comfort. Come on England ffs

I for one am crying foul play. I'd wager that said bottles are in fact of normal size! You scoundrel

36 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Kane is world class, regardless of his form, but he’s not better than Benzema or Mbappe so don’t think he would get in their side if im honest.

Neither of them can take a penalty so Kane probably would get in head of them now!

3 minutes ago, Nathandao said:

If your name is anything to go by, you'll be watching the whole game then yea?

Sadly that won't be the case.Will hopefully be on iplayer when I get home,but I don't think I will be able to dodge the result til I get home.

Feeling optimistic for this, absolutely despise the way we play football but we do seem to be hard to beat, which is what you need to be to win a tournament. 

1-0 England.

28 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Yes but you have to play them. Actually on the pitch

The only forward I have an issue with is Sterling, but as he's scored twice he'll rightly start this evening. Still to be convinced that he can play football and he lacks composure in and around the penalty area. Saka starting is exciting, plays direct and drives into the penalty area.

Have to admit having suffered watching England at tournaments now nearly 40 years now(f&?k I feel old now). I’ve lost a little bit off the excitement and expectation now which means I’m in less of a blaming mood should things go pair shaped.

People have moaned about Southgate before we’ve even been knocked out despite his record of having qualified for this tournament and World Cup and reached a semi final. Yes we have some excellent attacking talent but it’s about building a team that can win games. We can’t play all of the attacking players at the same time but we can play 5 (or 6 if ET) subs so we can play more of our attacking talent during the game as needs be.

To end my boring ramble I’d just say that you just sit down, enjoy the game. If we win we party, if we lose (Germany aren’t a crap team so it’s within the realms of possibility) then long as the players seem to have given there all we have to just move on.

What will happen if we lose though is everyone will jump all over Southgate and we’ll give him the elbow and bring in someone else who will basically just get the same results

I have a bad feeling about this.

Still, could be worse, I thought the game kicked off at 8...?

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

Have to say really looking forward to this game. Haven’t looked forward to a England game like this in a long while. 
England GIF

Since we played Germany in the 2014 WC...oh, maybe not...

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

With all the attacking players we have - this is shocking

image.png

You’ve cut and pasted City’s stats there haven’t you Tony?

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Pickford
  Walker. Stones. Maguire
Trippier. Rice. Phillips. Shaw
    Saka.  Kane.  Sterling

Rumoured team 

Not quite what I'd go with but not a bad team either.

I think the only changes I'd make would be Saka at LWB and Grealish with Kane and Sterling in a front three. 

6 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Completely agree with him. A rivalry based on a war that nobody watching tonight were around for. Germany v England isn’t seen as a massive rivalry in Germany 

Rivalry is different in international football. We have the home nations as "rivals" but rarely play them. I think rivalries are built on playing each other often

For me it's not about the war with Germnay, it's about how much we seemed to play them when I grew up. Euro 96 loss was heartbreaking as a kid, then Euro 2000 and the WC 2002 qualifying we seemed to play them quite a few times in quick succession

Lately it's been Croatia that I've wanted to see us beat, with the 2008 qualifying then the Nations League, WC and now this Euros we've played them several times in reasonably quick succession

6 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Surely this deserves it's own thread. 

Huge game for us later against a German team who do seem vulnerable at times. Slightly awkward 5pm KO so hopefully everyone can get home from work/to the pub in time for a pre-match pint or two to calm the nerves. 

Can Kane break his Euro2020 duck? 

Will Grealish start or will he be kept fresh for later in the game? 

Can Sterling notch again? 

After Magic Monday, surely it'll be a dull game? 

C'mon England :drunk2::englandflag::drunk2:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57611058

Thanks for the heads up. I thought it was an 8pm kick off!

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Pickford
  Walker. Stones. Maguire
Trippier. Rice. Phillips. Shaw
    Saka.  Kane.  Sterling

Rumoured team 

I'd swap Shaw for Saka, and bring Foden into that front three. Possibly drop Phillips for Grealish as well, but I'm not Southgate! 

Archived