IGNORED

End of contracts

GrahamC

Today is the day that contracts expire for anyone who was out of contract at the end of last season, so as those players are effectively out of work from tomorrow I would expect things to start to speed up. 

With the retention of Baker, James already signed & King presumably going to do so that might not mean too much for us, as of those we are rumoured to be interested in only Piggott is OoC, but it should see those we let go join new clubs & a better indication of the market.

At present Luton, Blackpool, Huddersfield & Preston have done loads of deals but most other sides are in a similar boat to us, having only picked up one or two.

37 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Today is the day that contracts expire for anyone who was out of contract at the end of last season, so as those players are effectively out of work from tomorrow I would expect things to start to speed up. 

With the retention of Baker, James already signed & King presumably going to do so that might not mean too much for us, as of those we are rumoured to be interested in only Piggott is OoC, but it should see those we let go join new clubs & a better indication of the market.

At present Luton, Blackpool, Huddersfield & Preston have done loads of deals but most other sides are in a similar boat to us, having only picked up one or two.

I'd be very worried if we did no more business in the transfer window.

We still need 4/5 solid Championship players in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Redrascal2 said:

We wanted 5 new players we have 1. Surely something must happen soon. 

I think we have 2….I see Baker as one of the two CBs he wanted.  Baker was on released list, so although his contract continues, I’m seeing it as a new signing.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think we have 2….I see Baker as one of the two CBs he wanted.  Baker was on released list, so although his contract continues, I’m seeing it as a new signing.

Would agree, Nigel said he wanted to CB’s when the understanding was that Baker would be departing. My hope is that if we’ve added/extended a free transfer that we can afford what we may need to pay for Atkinson if he is our main target. 

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Me too, plus as I said at the start, if we assume King signs that is 3, leaving us looking at another CB & a striker.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Baker was on released list, so although his contract continues, I’m seeing it as a new signing.

Dave, how many more from the released list will he sign?

Did he put Liam Walsh on that list deliberately but, off the record, offered him a gentleman's agreement?

1 hour ago, Redrascal2 said:

I think there are a bunch of players with unrealistic money expectations. I think they will hold out for a while but when the penny drops and they realise its a buyers market there is be a flurry of activity

I read that NP wanted the 5 players as a minimum. I think that's what he feels he needs to get the team competitive next season. I still think that if the right player to improve the squad at the right price outside of those 5, SL will support NP in financing it as he always has.

22 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Dave, how many more from the released list will he sign?

Did he put Liam Walsh on that list deliberately but, off the record, offered him a gentleman's agreement?

Dunno!

Re Walsh, imho we offered him a contract to enable compensation when (if?) he gets picked up elsewhere.  Not expecting him to follow Baker back to City.

Think we will start to see announcements later today / tomorrow when contractual bonuses (30th June) get paid out.

12 minutes ago, grifty said:

I read that NP wanted the 5 players as a minimum. I think that's what he feels he needs to get the team competitive next season. I still think that if the right player to improve the squad at the right price outside of those 5, SL will support NP in financing it as he always has.

Yes, plus he mentioned potentially getting loanees in to bolster the squad a bit.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I'm predicting this to be a very interesting window and I expect a lot of deals to be done at the last minute. A lot of teams have released numerous players and will be looking to reduce their wage bills. While on the other hand you have players agents undoubtedly telling their players (and the clubs who are interested in them) that you are worth x amount a week and we won't settle for less. This could cause a very interesting stand off between the two parties and lead to things becoming very last minute, a matter of who blinks first.

This could be the perfect time for clubs to stand their ground against greedy agents and will hopefully lead to a decrease in players wages too.

2 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

There are hundreds of players out of contract that will be looking for the best deal possible. Due  to covid , the football wages bubble has burst . I expect a major scramble close to the window closing as players realise they need to earn a wage. Plus, some of the better ones will even wait until after that and as free agents can take there pick to a certain extent 

53 minutes ago, Pearcy said:

I'm predicting this to be a very interesting window and I expect a lot of deals to be done at the last minute. A lot of teams have released numerous players and will be looking to reduce their wage bills. While on the other hand you have players agents undoubtedly telling their players (and the clubs who are interested in them) that you are worth x amount a week and we won't settle for less. This could cause a very interesting stand off between the two parties and lead to things becoming very last minute, a matter of who blinks first.

This could be the perfect time for clubs to stand their ground against greedy agents and will hopefully lead to a decrease in players wages too.

Might’ve been Richard Gould who said that some agents are going to have to admit to their clients (players) that the aspirational deals they had planned for them weren’t really truthful.  Wonder if Baker was one such case, as rumoured that Brum and Cov were interested.  Free Agents aren’t in such a strong position as they previously were where clubs would bing them a signing on fee and good wages because they had no fee to pay.

Might’ve been Richard Gould who said that some agents are going to have to admit to their clients (players) that the aspirational deals they had planned for them weren’t really truthful.  Wonder if Baker was one such case, as rumoured that Brum and Cov were interested.  Free Agents aren’t in such a strong position as they previously were where clubs would bing them a signing on fee and good wages because they had no fee to pay.

Was it Paterson heard boasting about a £20k a week deal?

Or did I imagine it

Do we need any more than five, 2 at CB, 2 Midfield and 1 striker as stated by NP?

We have young pros like Bakinson, Massengo, Semenyo, O'Leary, Pring, (even Moore and Vyner?) Plus those who came out of the Academy with good performances.

Start bringing in loans and we could clog up the Pathway! Unless one of the five mentioned above is a loan striker a la Tammy standard?

We need to get an intelligent worm implanted in Pearson's brain! Otherwise wait and see.

This might also expose who the agents are who don't really have their players careers as their priority but are more interested in lining their pockets. It's also likely to expose the players with a big ego who won't accept an offer on the table because they see themselves as being better or worth more then what is being offered. Interesting times ahead.

4 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Do we need any more than five, 2 at CB, 2 Midfield and 1 striker as stated by NP?

We have young pros like Bakinson, Massengo, Semenyo, O'Leary, Pring, (even Moore and Vyner?) Plus those who came out of the Academy with good performances.

Start bringing in loans and we could clog up the Pathway! Unless one of the five mentioned above is a loan striker a la Tammy standard?

We need to get an intelligent worm implanted in Pearson's brain! Otherwise wait and see.

My understanding of that statement was aimed experienced players who would have an positive influence on the youngster players, both on and off the pitch. 

The likes of Towler, Conway, Pearson et el will benefit hugely from having an experienced guy alongside them

6 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

We are using the Matt Hancock calculation whereby when you retain someone who might have left then it counts as a new employee. Therefore Andi Weimann and Nathan Baker are two of the five. In all honesty if both play regularly then they will be a resource we didn't have available last season and the twisted logic works. Now we wait for Nigel Pearson to be found to be having an affair with David Rennie and resign to spend more time with his kids.

Archived