IGNORED

Cheerio to Mansion?

Not this season at the very least, and I doubt we will fullstop.

The Norwich pulling out of a deal was an exceptional circumstance linked to sexualisation advertising as opposed to anger against betting companies generally. I think there will only be a withdrawal overall if it becomes legislative - and I don’t see that happening for some time.

The other thing is post Covid how many firms will pony up the cash? If the FA/Government stop gambling firms advertising it could send clubs to the wall.

As it was announced as the biggest deal ever, we'll see it out. The problem is getting someone to replace them when the pool of sponsors with money (and willingness to throw at football) becomes smaller. Teams will probably hold out until a ban comes in. Tobacco, alcohol & gambling were always the big ones. Airlines have been hit massively by COVID, the next ones will be Sportswear companies. The thing is, they will be able to call the shots in a lot of cases due to demand . I do wonder if Tech companies may step up, but there are a lot of teams looking for the same thing, money.

It may be taken out of our hands anyway.  The government have conducted a review into advertising of betting firms which could result in shirt sponsorship by them being banned.  (Of course, being a Tory government, if Denise throws a big enough brown envelope their way this won't be the ultimate outcome!).

Can't find anything now to confirm when this may kick in, but I'm sure I read somewhere that if banned it would kick in from 22/23 season.

After the Football Index scandal, amongst other sad stories, the pressure on the government and gambling commission is rising. More regulations are needed to protect gamblers and it wouldn't surprise me if the new regulations include something to do with the bookies advertising and sponsoring - which would impact clubs. Probably another couple years from this happening I suspect though.

Advertising in sports is an intresting one. I've had the benefit of some exposure to ITV executives recently and there insight and data suggests sport is the only thing being watched live anymore and therefore has a premium for advertising slots. 

The data for football watchers has changed somewhat too, yes it is still dominated by young males who lean towards gambling alchool and car advertising, but there is a new growing demographic.

I'm currently doing some work with a prem club who's average age of their database is 53. Hopefully this paves a new wave of money and companies wanting to get involved in football as opposed to the typical ones we see currently.

They use Norwich as their example of clubs ditching gambling companies, worst example they could use really as the reason behind Norwich is evident as they state and is no way comparable to Mansion Bet for us 

I think it's inevitable it'll go the way of fags and booze sponsorships.

Lots of people do get into big trouble with gambling debts. A guy I know lost two houses through it and he still can barely walk past a bookie's without going in 

From an aesthetic point of view, I won't be sad to see the back of Mansion. I hate that overlarge, blocky logo on our shirts. 

1 hour ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I really hope we do, it's not healthy. The amount of gambling advertising is frightening. 

And to anyone who moans about it - tobacco sponsorship being wiped out hasn't had any noticeable impact on advertising revenues or on sponsorship. Someone will always step in.

12 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I really hope we do, it's not healthy. The amount of gambling advertising is frightening. 

And to anyone who moans about it - tobacco sponsorship being wiped out hasn't had any noticeable impact on advertising revenues or on sponsorship. Someone will always step in.

I agree. Personally I don't care even if it does have an impact on advertising revenues or sponsorships either - there are better ways to measure if something was a good idea than whether it affected the bottom line... or there should be at least!

CEO of Bet365 earnt £469 MILLION last year for gods sake.

Would be great to get rid of Mansion - don't like the gambling association and the over-large lettering looks hideous as well.

I would really prefer it if football shirts stopped carrying advertising full stop. Being ancient I do remember the days when they were just plain - much, much better IMO. I know it's all about money these days so please don't bother making that point - football should be accessible to one and all, rich or poor not what money has made it now.

3 hours ago, IAmNick said:

I agree. Personally I don't care even if it does have an impact on advertising revenues or sponsorships either - there are better ways to measure if something was a good idea than whether it affected the bottom line... or there should be at least!

CEO of Bet365 earnt £469 MILLION last year for gods sake.

I bet they didn't !

*sorry, just a terrible attempt at a funny.

Archived