IGNORED

England V Ukraine

freezer

Maybe missed it but don't think there's a thread for this. 

If not, why not? 

It seems that all the important officials for this game are German, apart from the fourth official. That worries me as I feel we have to not only win the game but potentially 'over win' the game.

Hope it's officiated in a fair manner and not dealt with like a footballing version of the shocking and unfair version of Eurovision. 

With Rice and Phillips both one booking away from being suspended, I think we’ll see Henderson come in for this one.

I reckon Saka will be dropped. Not a clue who for though… bit of a tombola for that one position.

44 minutes ago, freezer said:

If not, why not? 

It seems that all the important officials for this game are German, apart from the fourth official. That worries me as I feel we have to not only win the game but potentially 'over win' the game.

Hope it's officiated in a fair manner and not dealt with like a footballing version of the shocking and unfair version of Eurovision. 

Would you like to explain, be more explicit, concerning 
your worry about Germain officials?

8 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I assume the concern is a form of retribution for us knocking them out?

7 minutes ago, Slacker said:

I assume the concern is a form of retribution for us knocking them out?

Makes no sense to me, though. I always feel the opposite.

If the team who knocks you out goes on to win, you can tell yourself you were unlucky to draw them so early on but reassure yourself losing to them wasn’t a terrible result.

If the team who knocks you out goes out next round, it just makes you look even more rubbish.

I always want the team that knocks England out to go on and win for that reason. Can’t see why any German fans would want us out next round. 

9 hours ago, Lew-T said:

With Rice and Phillips both one booking away from being suspended, I think we’ll see Henderson come in for this one.

I reckon Saka will be dropped. Not a clue who for though… bit of a tombola for that one position.

Yellows get wiped out at QF stage don't they or is it after?  Either way I think Mount may also be team.  Possibly for Saka with Grealish coming on after an hour again.  

Henderson for Phillips isn't a bad shout, he did look a bit leggy at end of the Germany game.

9 hours ago, freezer said:

It seems that all the important officials for this game are German

We've won 5 out of 6 games with this ref.  Lets face it if we can't beat Ukraine, we shouldn't be blaming it on the officials..

England should be too strong for Ukraine regardless of who starts but it’s a one off game and an upset won’t be the first in this Euros…………..:cool2:

Im cautiously optimistic but won’t be surprised if extra time is required.

3 minutes ago, TomF said:

Yellows get wiped out at QF stage don't they or is it after?  Either way I think Mount may also be team.  Possibly for Saka with Grealish coming on after an hour again.  

Henderson for Phillips isn't a bad shout, he did look a bit leggy at end of the Germany game.

We've won 5 out of 6 games with this ref.  Lets face it if we can't beat Ukraine, we shouldn't be blaming it on the officials..

Yellow cards are wiped out AFTER the quarter finals, so should any players currently on a yellow card receive another one tomorrow they would miss the semi final.

Only a red card received in the the semi final would see a player banned from the final.

11 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Makes no sense to me, though. I always feel the opposite.

If the team who knocks you out goes on to win, you can tell yourself you were unlucky to draw them so early on but reassure yourself losing to them wasn’t a terrible result.

If the team who knocks you out goes out next round, it just makes you look even more rubbish.

I always want the team that knocks England out to go on and win for that reason. Can’t see why any German fans would want us out next round. 

I can certainly see your logic but if Germany had beaten us,I would love to see them slaughtered in the next round.To be honest,Germany are just one of those teams that I always want to see get beaten.Along with France,Wales, Scotland,Argentina...........

I wonder about the full backs.  We'll go to 4 at the back which means at least one of Shaw Trippier and Walker will miss out and probably Mount come in.  The full backs situation is like a carousel  - maybe the lesser spotted Chilwell will appear out of hibernation?

The other likely change is Saka for Foden maybe or Sancho?  I think he needs to change it up a little - there needs to be some freshness.  Its not as if we have a nailed on starting 11.  I'd say 5 are absolutely nailed on (Pickford, Stones, Maguire, Sterling, Kane) with the others potentially being open to replacement /  rotation.   Rice & Phillips have played every game but a fit Henderson would certainly be rotated with them. 

9 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I don't think the fact they are German makes much difference.

Pretty much every country hates us.

Baffled why the nationality of an impartial ref would make any difference. Maybe says something about the people that are worried!

I would take a slight risk and rest Phillips, bringing in Henderson.  Would also play Grealish and not Saka. 

Pickford

Walker.  Stones. Maguire. Shaw

Foden. Henderson. Mount

Sterling.  Kane.  Grealish

Southgate will certainly not play that midfield though!  Can hardly moan at his selection either after what he’s done so far 

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

I can certainly see your logic but if Germany had beaten us,I would love to see them slaughtered in the next round.To be honest,Germany are just one of those teams that I always want to see get beaten.Along with France,Wales, Scotland,Argentina...........

You forgot the gas!

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

England should be too strong for Ukraine regardless of who starts but it’s a one off game and an upset won’t be the first in this Euros…………..:cool2:

Im cautiously optimistic but won’t be surprised if extra time is required.

Those of us of a certain vintage can only agree this will not be a walk in the park; knock out games are a great leveller. Dodgy sending off, injuries and fatigue all play a big part

Having endured the Iceland match, aged 5 years when we played  Cameroon  in a World cup game and Beckham's sending off against Argentina no chickens are being counted.

Declan rice had massive cramp problems late in the German game & it’s a quicker turnaround. Wouldn’t be surprised if we went back to 433 . Walker & rice  coming out replaced by mount & Henderson . 

Pickford

trippier     Stones.  Maguire   Shaw

Henderson.  Philips   Mount 

Saka/sancho  Kane.  Sterling 

Id like to see Foden back in but yellow card may stop that 

I was quietly optimistic going into the Germany game, but can't shake  nagging feeling we're going to make real hard work of it against Ukraine. First game away from Wembley, none of our fans allowed to travel, and a feeling Southgate will stick with the two defensive midfielders. 

For me it should be (4-3-3): Pickford; Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw; Mount, Henderson, Foden; Saka, Kane, Sterling. It won't happen, though. 

12 hours ago, freezer said:

If not, why not? 

Looks ok with me 

th?id=OIP.UZasChOH4hZlzlbY_TEZ4QAAAA&w=120&h=170&c=8&rs=1&qlt=80&o=6&pid=3.1

I think we will be full of confidence now and it's very good news that Kane has scored.

I think this will be a relatively straightforward win and Kane will get a couple.

I think the team might be something like this:

Pickford,

Walker, Maguire, Stones, Shaw

Bellingham, Henderson

Mount

Sterling, Kane, Grealish

It's possible he won't change both CMs but I suspect he will be very aware they're both on bookings. Grealish deserves a start.

Archived