IGNORED

England V Ukraine

freezer

2 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I seems since we left their little EU club they seem to do everything they can to take revenge

They don’t need to do that do they, we’ve managed to ckuf things up rather nicely all on our own if you ask me 

Pickford

Walker   Maguire   Stones

Saka                                                                         Shaw

Henderson     Phillips

Grealish

Kane     Sterling

2 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I seems since we left their little EU club they seem to do everything they can to take revenge

You are probably right, although I think there might be more to it than just BREXIT.

Don't forget we knocked out Germany in the last round and even booed the German National Anthem before the start of the match.

When you consider that we also beat Germany in two World Wars and in a World Cup Final, the latter with a dodgy goal to boot, it hardly seems worth turning up in Rome.

Or, perhaps, and I am probably clutching at straws here, the experienced Felix Brych, an international referee for more than a decade, might just prove to be both professional and unbiased, as befits a man of his standing.

Finally, a propos bias, you may not have noticed, but Mr. Brych was involved in a heated exchange with Ukraine's Head Coach, Andriy Shevchenko, at the end of their match against The Netherlands earleir in the tournament. 

Oh Well, we shall just have to wait until Saturday evening to find out.

14 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

before we all get carried away 

one word ICELAND 

This is becoming a bit like the Wilbraham example that gets wheeled out every time we sign an older/poorly thought of player. 

Yes, Iceland happened and we lost - just like Wilbraham signed and was a success. Both examples flying in the face of the generally accepted view.

Both are isolated examples however, and this side is not the 2016 side. Of course, there's a chance Ukraine might win. Looking at the form, stats and eye-test though I don't think it's that likely.

I doubt the team will be complacent but we seem in good form now and are improving. 

19 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

before we all get carried away 

one word ICELAND 

Although Iceland sell Chicken Kiev's, off at a slight tangent but well worth bringing into any pre kickoff conversations which will surely garner many admiring glances and looks of envy at the depth and range of your knowledge.

"Kiev is the capital of Ukraine but Chicken Kiev did not get its name from there.   A Russian chef invented Chicken Kiev in the early 1800s.  Chicken Kiev got its name when it was marketed for Russian restaurants in Europe and America".

20 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

This is becoming a bit like the Wilbraham example that gets wheeled out every time we sign an older/poorly thought of player. 

Yes, Iceland happened and we lost - just like Wilbraham signed and was a success. Both examples flying in the face of the generally accepted view.

Both are isolated examples however, and this side is not the 2016 side. Of course, there's a chance Ukraine might win. Looking at the form, stats and eye-test though I don't think it's that likely.

I doubt the team will be complacent but we seem in good form now and are improving. 

Walker, Kane, and Sterling were in that team so they will know more than any others what it feels like to lose to a less fancied team in a big tournament. Stones and Henderson on the bench. I think it'll be in the back of their minds.

Rooney was squeezed into that team in midfield - a perfect illustration of playing your best players but not your best team. I don't think Southgate will do that.

I’m especially impressed that Brexit has made its way into the Ukraine match day thread.

I don’t think the EU is a small club? Seems to be a rather large, multilateral organisation.

back to the game.

Southgate will be cautious. And then got for the jugular at 70 minutes. It’s slightly dull, but very effective (so far)

I am loving the fact that the pre-match interviews with England fans attending the game in Rome do not involve any drunken, snarling, gurning, pissed up chavs making "5-0" predictions and shouting "ENGERLAND - COME ON - IT'S COMING HOME!!" into the camera.  The Italy based England fans seem to be civilised people who are able to discuss the game without doing any of the above.

Normally this is the easiest quarter final - final road that probably England ever had. I'll be dissapointed if something won't work properly. Even Spain and Italy are not that tough. If walker can take care of that Insigne Italy will have problems against the most boring coach that Englad had.

I was happy for that win against Germany but dissapointed to see 7 defensive players out of 10. The best players are not in the first eleven for some games already. We need Mount to be in, Grealish also. Saka is not good enough for these games. Kane will still play because he is the lover of Southgathe, is like they are in a gay relationship. I don't care about that Header, except that Kane was an absolute disaster in every game. He will never work in any team except Spurs. He is disgusting to see playing, slow turning like a truck, pretty much like every target-man. The Brentford guy, Toney would have been better as a Striker in my opinion.

Sorry for   saying "We" too much. I am very involved into England football and City.

1 hour ago, New Dazzler said:

I am loving the fact that the pre-match interviews with England fans attending the game in Rome do not involve any drunken, snarling, gurning, pissed up chavs making "5-0" predictions and shouting "ENGERLAND - COME ON - IT'S COMING HOME!!" into the camera.  The Italy based England fans seem to be civilised people who are able to discuss the game without doing any of the above.

Are you Prince Edward,Duke of Kent?

4 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

What channel do you usually watch?

On 02/07/2021 at 08:49, TomF said:

We've won 5 out of 6 games with this ref.  Lets face it if we can't beat Ukraine, we shouldn't be blaming it on the officials..

Quite...

Ninety minutes plus extra time (if required) to beat Ukraine for a place in the semi's...??

Couldn't ask for a better opportunity

Archived