IGNORED

England V Ukraine

freezer

8 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Bizarre that Sancho starts in such an important game, with no game time thus far in the tournament.....

So he will be fresh and raring to go.

Plus Zinchenko has been very good going forward and Sancho might inhibit him or exploit any space behind him.

4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Resting them, good tourney management

I think our bench is deeper than most, and that’s a real plus.

Expecting Ukraine to try and do a Scotland’ against us style wise,nand their forward line is a lot better and could nick one. We have seen how hard it is for all teams to break down a well organised defensive shape.

Equally, one area we have been no better than average so far is set pieces, which was a real strength in the last WC. Would love us (obviously) to crash in a booming header from a corner in the first 15.,

Tight, cagy, 1-0 England.

15 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

They aren’t both defensive midfielders. Rice will sit a bit more which every team needs. Phillips will press all over the pitch and do so superbly 

Both players are defensively minded and make low numbers of key passes. Receive retain release repeat v breaking lines. Every team doesn't play with one, some play with none. 

4 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Both players are defensively minded and make low numbers of key passes. Receive retain release repeat v breaking lines. Every team doesn't play with one, some play with none. 

Maybe you missed Phillips in the first game.

Every team plays with a defensive minded midfielder if they play 4-2-3-1 or similar. Anyway, let’s just trust Gareth !

Just now, And Its Smith said:

Every team plays with a defensive minded midfielder if they play 4-2-3-1 or similar. Anyway, let’s just trust Gareth !

You missed the point. Every teams does not play with two similar. Teams have players in holding positions who break lines with passing. Mr Southgates favoured two make very low numbers of key passes. 

6 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I take it you have not seen much of Phillips playing for Leeds. He has a very good range of passing, invariably positive.

In any event focusing on one metric neglects the fact that multiple actions may be needed to lead to a goal.

Credit tends to go to the player who plays the last pass but the key action may be a player winning or intercepting the ball to start the attack.

33 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Just find it odd we’ve got two really form players in Saka and Grealish and out of nowhere it’s Sancho. 

Almost like he’s trying to please everyone. 

Saka injured and Grealish is good off the bench to hold the ball up and win free kicks. Sancho deserves his chance imo

2 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

You missed the point. Every teams does not play with two similar. Teams have players in holding positions who break lines with passing. Mr Southgates favoured two make very low numbers of key passes. 

You missed the point. We aren’t playing with two similar. 

36 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

They aren’t both defensive midfielders. Rice will sit a bit more which every team needs. Phillips will press all over the pitch and do so superbly 

I didn’t say they were both DMs. I’m more concerned about one of them missing a potential semi-final, Phillips more likely than Rice IMO.

2 minutes ago, tin said:

I didn’t say they were both DMs. I’m more concerned about one of them missing a potential semi-final, Phillips more likely than Rice IMO.

Wouldn’t be leaving players out to save them for a game that might not happen. Win the game first. Plenty of shocks in this tournament 

Archived