IGNORED

England V Ukraine

freezer

I wonder if any team has ever won a major tournament without conceding a goal?

And on the flip side if we beat Denmark to nil and then lose to Italy on penalties there would be a most unwelcome stat of being a team who lost in the final without conceding a goal. 

I still think Italy are the best team I've seen at the tournament. We could do with them picking up a few more injuries ?.

Whether Wembley will be an advantage or will inhibit our players against a team who could outplay us remains to be seen. If we go behind and the crowd gets nervous I have seen England of the past fall apart. Just hope this side is mentally strong enough to deliver. 

17 minutes ago, Redinthehead said:

Regardless of talk of draws and criticism of his team selection (which I have been at times) - Southgate has gotten England to semi-finals at two tournaments in a row, which is a big achievement in itself.

3 tournaments you probably forgot the Nations league (understandable).

Just now, robin_unreliant said:

I still think Italy are the best team I've seen at the tournament. We could do with them picking up a few more injuries ?.

Whether Wembley will be an advantage or will inhibit our players against a team who could outplay us remains to be seen. If we go behind and the crowd gets nervous I have seen England of the past fall apart. Just hope this side is mentally strong enough to deliver. 

I’m hoping if it’s Italy v England in final (still a bit IF) that the Spanish ref who did the CL final gets the nod as he was excellent 

2 hours ago, Will Rollason said:

The only change I would make would be Henderson for Rice... Sancho stays in for me as does Mount.

That Kane volley that led to the fourth goal speaks volumes.... He's played himself into form. Dangerous player to have...

As many of you will know I’m not a great fan of Kane outside the box, but never doubted he’s a world class finisher.  That volley was superb, and what a save too.

I think Denmark will be a test, but they are not in the same league as Italy or Spain.  We saw yesterday that they conceded a lot of easy possession to the Czechs second half and almost lost a 2 goal leads.

Not counting chickens but if we play anything like last night we will go through to the final.  Players look comfortable with each other’s game, irrespective of system or personnel.  That is a good sign. 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

As many of you will know I’m not a great fan of Kane outside the box, but never doubted he’s a world class finisher.  That volley was superb, and what a save too.

I think Denmark will be a test, but they are not in the same league as Italy or Spain.  We saw yesterday that they conceded a lot of easy possession to the Czechs second half and almost lost a 2 goal leads.

Not counting chickens but if we play anything like last night we will go through to the final.  Players look comfortable with each other’s game, irrespective of system or personnel.  That is a good sign. 

Dave, very interesting next match. Win the semi and who knows

13 minutes ago, TomF said:

My god there is enough salt in Wales and Scotland to grit the roads for the next 300 years at moment 

It's absolutely brilliant. They are hurting big time right now, it's the outright fear we might go on and win this if things go our way that is doing their tiny little minds in. They celebrate a great result and "it's passion that the English simply don't have and don't understand". We celebrate one and straight away out comes the old "it's typical English arrogance, they're acting like they've won it already"...........and there are plenty of wet behind the ears English people, completely and utterly ignorant and naive of what many Welsh and Scots really think of the English to be truthful, who have never had to experience the "pleasure" of spending a prolonged period in the company and back yard of these people who fall for this little charade every single time and sympathise with them. Not me, that's for sure. Denmark are literally the only thing that can save their Summer and if they do watch these people prove my point.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

One player who needs to improve is Kyle Walker. Reece James just won the Champions League and is a fantastic right back. I expect Walker stays in on experience, but he has to stop losing concentration, making a sloppy pass or switching off defensively like last night.

Walker is a funny one. He was immense against the Germans, would probably get in a team of the tournament if you only based it on that one game, but really sloppy at times last night.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

One player who needs to improve is Kyle Walker. Reece James just won the Champions League and is a fantastic right back. I expect Walker stays in on experience, but he has to stop losing concentration, making a sloppy pass or switching off defensively like last night.

Walker, blistering pace.

I see the Denmark game is being screened by ITV and BBC, England's tournament record on ITV since 98 is 5 wins from 25, on the BBC its 15 wins from 24.  So to sum up..if you watch on ITV you will probably see England lose..watch on BBC and a good chance of an England win !???????

41 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

They do pick up injuries RU, but they recover from them within 30 seconds it seems. 

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He struggled in the heat last night I think - worth remembering it was 28 degrees 

15 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I was really disappointed by Reece James v Scotland….did not take his opportunity imho.

Walker’s soft first time back pass was a result of a poor pass from Maguire….still should’ve cared for the pass better, but put a bit into trouble by Maguire.

Walker has done well overall in this tournament.

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

They do pick up injuries RU, but they recover from them within 30 seconds it seems. 

Too true - I was watching the Tour de France and following a few really nasty crashes guys were getting trashed on concrete roads and then getting back on their bikes and riding on. Turns out one guy rode on and he actually finished the stage with both his elbows fractured. 

When you see these cheating tarts rolling around on a football pitch like they've just been shot it's just embarrassing really. 

21 minutes ago, weepywall said:

I see the Denmark game is being screened by ITV and BBC, England's tournament record on ITV since 98 is 5 wins from 25, on the BBC its 15 wins from 24.  So to sum up..if you watch on ITV you will probably see England lose..watch on BBC and a good chance of an England win !???????

How anybody could watch the ITV coverage when there is a different option is beyond me! The commentary is appalling. I have to watch it with the sound muted when its the only viewing choice. Clive Tildsley, FFS.

27 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Just itv isn’t it? Final is on both

31 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He's miles better on the right of a 3 where there is less leeway to mess up basically.  He's always worried me - got a mistake in him for sure.

I think for all the wanting to get players minutes GS has now made his bed with regards starters with only really the right of the front 3 being up for grabs.  The other thing is 3 4 3 vs 4 2 3 1.  That basically means Mount or Trippier.  I just hope we don't get a situation where someone is coming into a game cold as it's a bit of an ask to be up to the pace of a semi final if you haven't played for 6 weeks.  

28 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Watch the first half on ITV but the second half on BBC.

8 minutes ago, Redstart said:

Too true - I was watching the Tour de France and following a few really nasty crashes guys were getting trashed on concrete roads and then getting back on their bikes and riding on. Turns out one guy rode on and he actually finished the stage with both his elbows fractured. 

When you see these cheating tarts rolling around on a football pitch like they've just been shot it's just embarrassing really. 

What has been noticeable this tournament has not just been players going down like they’ve been shot from little or no contact ( that’s been happening for ages) but players going down for nothing when thy’ve lost the ball, hoping to either get a free kick, if as a result of any sort of challenge,  or that the referee stops play so as to prevent the opposition taking advantage. 

The most noticeable was the Italian striker who went of down like a sack of spuds in the penalty area but then looked up when then went on to score and leapt to his feet like Lazarus to join in the goal celebrations.  It was also noticeable yesterday when England were well on top that Ukraine players were going down like flies when they lost the ball. Also when did it become a thing that every challenge causes players to cry out in agony and clutch their ankles - even when the contact was with another part of their body? 

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

Watch the first half on ITV but the second half on BBC.

What has been noticeable this tournament has not just been players going down like they’ve been shot from little or no contact ( that’s been happening for ages) but players going down for nothing when thy’ve lost the ball, hoping to either get a free kick, if as a result of any sort of challenge,  or that the referee stops play so as to prevent the opposition taking advantage. 

The most noticeable was the Italian striker who went of down like a sack of spuds in the penalty area but then looked up when then went on to score and leapt to his feet like Lazarus to join in the goal celebrations.  It was also noticeable yesterday when England were well on top that Ukraine players were going down like flies when they lost the ball. Also when did it become a thing that every challenge causes players to cry out in agony and clutch their ankles - even when the contact was with another part of their body? 

Shame they weren't playing Denmark! I don't know how their players would have reacted to such play acting.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

The Shaw/ sterling axis looks strong for one 

Also as another poster pointed out Denmark looked exhausted whilst we won at a canter with subs on at 65mins... it looked like a game to far for Ukraine and, hopefully, that might be the case with Denmark.. The Erikson factor can only take them so far??

10 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Shame they weren't playing Denmark! I don't know how their players would have reacted to such play acting.

It’s also noticeable that players suffering actual serious injury tend not to react in the over exaggerated, screaming way that play-actors do.

I think it was Ukraine player that suffered an achilles injury, but he just pulled up and gestured to the bench to bring him off. In my playing days I witnessed broken legs and ankles, but without the injured player reacting like today’s prima donnas. I dislocated my knee cap while playing and it locked the knee completely. It was the worst pain I experienced but can’t remember rolling around and screaming - what I can remember is my team mates stood around, pointing at my knee saying “ I’ve not see that before”!

Perhaps they should consider the referee being able to make a judgement call, whereby, dependant on his concern based on the players reaction, he can require a player that suffered an apparently serious injury to leave the pitch for proper assessment by the medical team and remain off the pitch for a minimum amount of time. That would soon put a stop to the now ludicrous levels of play acting.

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

It’s also noticeable that players suffering actual serious injury tend not to react in the over exaggerated, screaming way that play-actors do.

I think it was Ukraine player that suffered an achilles injury, but he just pulled up and gestured to the bench to bring him off. In my playing days I witnessed broken legs and ankles, but without the injured player reacting like today’s prima donnas. I dislocated my knee cap while playing and it locked the knee completely. It was the worst pain I experienced but can’t remember rolling around and screaming - what I can remember is my team mates stood around, pointing at my knee saying “ I’ve not see that before”!

Perhaps they should consider the referee being able to make a judgement call, whereby, dependant on his concern based on the players reaction, he can require a player that suffered an apparently serious injury to leave the pitch for proper assessment by the medical team and remain off the pitch for a minimum amount of time. That would soon put a stop to the now ludicrous levels of play acting.

Would be an interesting one. Roll around for more than 10 seconds, 5 minute pitch side assessment.

Archived