IGNORED

England V Ukraine

freezer

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I was really disappointed by Reece James v Scotland….did not take his opportunity imho.

Walker’s soft first time back pass was a result of a poor pass from Maguire….still should’ve cared for the pass better, but put a bit into trouble by Maguire.

Walker has done well overall in this tournament.

I agree - its difficult to grab your chance as a defender though. He didn't really do anything wrong just played it safe all game - received the ball and then passed it back pretty much every time (though with the way the Scots set up often there weren't that many options). We have so many talented RB's - to break through and get established you probably have to take a few more risks as a player, but that is also something you don't necessarily want you defenders doing + make a mistake doing it and your chance probably won't come again for a while. 

It might be just me and my inability to accept that things are going well...but there has been more than once in our last two matches were I have not 100% able to ‘let go’ on the celebration until the teams have kicked off again.

Typically I jump up, punch the air, and then say something like ‘it’s going to be tight on offside that one..’. VAR just owns me at this stage.

25 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Don't think anyone is but their centre halves look calamitous 

Italy are good but Spain have the players to beat them. If they had a top striker they would be favourites to win it.

7 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

He's gone home already and might be retiring

Shame. That said I wouldn't be upset if the German ref from last night got the nod.. thought he was excellent. 

9 hours ago, JonDolman said:

One player who needs to improve is Kyle Walker. Reece James just won the Champions League and is a fantastic right back. I expect Walker stays in on experience, but he has to stop losing concentration, making a sloppy pass or switching off defensively like last night.

He does tend to lose concentration and positioning now and then but usually makes up for it with his speed. I thought he was the weak link last night, but as it was 28c he probably found it tough - he was sweating buckets after 5 minutes.

3 hours ago, TomF said:

He's (the superb Spanish refereee) gone home already and might be retiring

Shame. That said I wouldn't be upset if the German ref from last night got the nod.. thought he was excellent. 

Apart from @cidercity1987's comment earlier, I have not seen this mentioned.

If it is true, does anybody know why?

It would seem a very strange decision if true - I can't believe it is because Spain might be in the final as, to the best of knowledge, Michael Oliver is still there..

6 hours ago, billywedlock said:

The standard of reffing has been fantastic . The var speed excellent too . They never get any credit when they do a good job . Well done all of them because no one has been talking about it . 

The other thing about VAR is that they seem to be using it slightly differently, almost like "umpire's call" in cricket which I have been advocating.

I haven't seen if it is an official stance, but there have definitely been examples where decisions have been close but not overturned, because there wasn't enough wrong in the referee's original decision. This is my interpretation anyway.

7 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Apart from @cidercity1987's comment earlier, I have not seen this mentioned.

If it is true, does anybody know why?

It would seem a very strange decision if true - I can't believe it is because Spain might be in the final as, to the best of knowledge, Michael Oliver is still there..

Gave at least one, if not two dodgy pens in the France Portugal game.

They mentioned he'd gone on Five Live and confirmed by a quick Google search.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

The other thing about VAR is that they seem to be using it slightly differently, almost like "umpire's call" in cricket which I have been advocating.

I haven't seen if it is an official stance, but there have definitely been examples where decisions have been close but not overturned, because there wasn't enough wrong in the referee's original decision. This is my interpretation anyway.

Yep. The rules say clear and obvious and they've been applying that rather than trying to usurp the referee by making the decision themselves.

13 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

He does tend to lose concentration and positioning now and then but usually makes up for it with his speed. I thought he was the weak link last night, but as it was 28c he probably found it tough - he was sweating buckets after 5 minutes.

It’s my one concern that walkers our weak link . Especially if sancho doesn’t track as much as saka. I think the Danes will target him 

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Gave at least one, if not two dodgy pens in the France Portugal game.

They mentioned he'd gone on Five Live and confirmed by a quick Google search.

Just a poor ref, the rest have been pretty good.

12 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

What a fantastic performance, can’t wait for Wednesday

I watched the game again early this morning as i was up at 5 am for some reason. Managed to watch the full 90 mins before the house awoke.

It was an excellent display. Very good pressing, excellent attacking and solid. More of that will get us close

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I watched the game again early this morning as i was up at 5 am for some reason. Managed to watch the full 90 mins before the house awoke.

It was an excellent display. Very good pressing, excellent attacking and solid. More of that will get us close

I had to do the same as I didn’t really get to see much of the game Saturday night.  It’s very different to the WC performances, I have to quote the famous song:

And then one night in Rome, we were strong, we had grown

I think that nails it, we’ve grown stronger from Russia.

Not enough has been said of the fact we’ve now gone 662 minutes without conceding a goal, a new England record. Not bad considering the defence was supposed to be our weakness

22 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

How anybody could watch the ITV coverage when there is a different option is beyond me! The commentary is appalling. I have to watch it with the sound muted when its the only viewing choice. Clive Tildsley, FFS.

Get ready to mute then, as it’s exclusive to ITV

Archived