IGNORED

Terry Cooper and some great moments in BCFC history

City oz

Some of the stuff this guy did for the club off the field is just incredible.  And this was a guy who was one of the worlds best full backs (a real star at Mexico 70) in his prime and a serial champion with Leeds.  Can you imagine, say, Ashley Cole becoming manager at a struggling fourth tier club, holding training sessions in the car park, sweeping the changing rooms after games,  manning the ticket office, driving the minibus or removals van for occasional players, hand-writing letters back to the fans?  No chance. 
I will never feel a closer connection to the club than those days with Terry and others like Beryl Fudge making you feel like we were all pulling together, like they really cared and that you weren’t just a faceless customer.  
An incredible human and hands down the greatest manager we have had in my lifetime. 
I’m not sure the Lansdowns even know / realise the nuts and bolts of what Terry did for our club.  Someone should organise a petition for them to honour him in some way.  A stand or the training centre (embarrassingly named currently).  
Genuine legends at this club are rare.  Terry Cooper really did so much for City and the club should recognise that.  

13 hours ago, Redtrojan said:

Lovely interview.

And of course not only was he a great manager but he came off the bench to set up Martyn Hurst to score the winner in probably my favourite game ever ,the 1-0 down 2-1 up we knocked Rovers out the cup game at Eastville in 1983 when rovers topped the league and we were cannon fodder with zero expectation that day.

The packed old open end at Eastville rocked ,thanks TC.

Do you remember the city fans in Gas buster outfits? apart from the win that's my abiding memory of the day, if any of you that wore them that day read this I laughed out loud when I saw you genius.  

I've said the story before but I was mascot on my 9th birthday, he said to me " do you want to go back to the stand with your grandad or stay on the bench?" You can imagine my answer. What a quality thing to do. I really miss those days 442. Crawford and Pritchard on the wings, kenny stroud in the middle, Riley and Ritchie what a team he built. Alan walsh for £18k bloody hell what would he be worth in todays money.

The 1986 freight rover trophy will stay with me forever infact I can remember more about that game than the last match I went to. Terry Cooper you are a true legend Sir and I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

I’ve said it on here many times before, and I’ll say it again now, it’s criminal that he’s not recognised somewhere in or around Ashton Gate. That man sweat blood picking this club up off the floor. Other managers have been more successful, but none have worked harder or cared more. 

3 minutes ago, Elruliri said:

I've said the story before but I was mascot on my 9th birthday, he said to me " do you want to go back to the stand with your grandad or stay on the bench?" You can imagine my answer. What a quality thing to do. I really miss those days 442. Crawford and Pritchard on the wings, kenny stroud in the middle, Riley and Ritchie what a team he built. Alan walsh for £18k bloody hell what would he be worth in todays money.

The 1986 freight rover trophy will stay with me forever infact I can remember more about that game than the last match I went to. Terry Cooper you are a true legend Sir and I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

Will also mention a story I have previously told. TC was a guest at our youth club's annual dinner in Knowle West. His talk at the end was how he managed to get from working in the local pit to becoming a pro footballer through sheer hard work and determination. It was inspiring to listen to him. He then stayed and chatted and answered questions from the kids and left at 11.00. pm with a game next day to manage at 3.00. pm.

Coupled with everything else mentioned he truly deserves some recognition from the club. Legend.

12 hours ago, Erringtonkelly said:

Some of the stuff this guy did for the club off the field is just incredible.  And this was a guy who was one of the worlds best full backs (a real star at Mexico 70) in his prime and a serial champion with Leeds.  Can you imagine, say, Ashley Cole becoming manager at a struggling fourth tier club, holding training sessions in the car park, sweeping the changing rooms after games,  manning the ticket office, driving the minibus or removals van for occasional players, hand-writing letters back to the fans?  No chance. 
I will never feel a closer connection to the club than those days with Terry and others like Beryl Fudge making you feel like we were all pulling together, like they really cared and that you weren’t just a faceless customer.  
An incredible human and hands down the greatest manager we have had in my lifetime. 
I’m not sure the Lansdowns even know / realise the nuts and bolts of what Terry did for our club.  Someone should organise a petition for them to honour him in some way.  A stand or the training centre (embarrassingly named currently).  
Genuine legends at this club are rare.  Terry Cooper really did so much for City and the club should recognise that.  

As a 20 year old around that time don't think i as many others no doubt realised what went on behind the scenes and how lucky we were to be, or feel like we were part of a 'Club'  It could have all been so different!!  I thank Terry Coper and everyone else that put so much into keeping City alive.

22 hours ago, Elruliri said:

I did similar. Sat on the bench as a kid… that’s the most exciting thing ever when you’re that age. I’ve one overriding memory and that was Glyn Riley nagging him the whole of the second half “get me on boss, get me on boss”. 

How do we do it? How do we get him properly acknowledged? 
I fear the current club hierarchy knows little or nothing of him. I’m a funny way BCFC82 wasn’t a new club but a continuation…. The Lansdown era is a new club. 
He deserves proper recognition. A stand, training ground or something…. Better than the “8” plaque tucked away on the Atyeo stand. (They also deserve better recognition). 
No reason that a stature holding the trophy wouldn’t be inappropriate. 
Any ideas how to get something moving? Sadly the majority of fans are probably after his time…. don’t want it to be too late.  

I've, like others, told my story elsewhere.

Our first ever Sunday league fixture was away to Torquay. The only 'stand' available to pay on the day was the one opposite their main stand. A terraced construction for standing only, and not that big. Naturally, it was full of Torquay fans.

Terry came on as a sub in the second half and immediately got some verbal abuse by the locals.

Here is one of the greatest England left backs and now playing on the right....in Torquay!

We were standing at the front close by to where TC received a pass. Immediately a native shouted out that our player/manager was rubbish. Terry not only tapped and ran past an opposing player but managed to shout back to the Torquay fan, "I didn't get 20 England caps for nothing."

Archived