IGNORED

Last 5 Transfer Windows

Harry

I should begin this post with a disclaimer :

I am happy with the signing of Matty James, and can understand the signing of Andy King. 

However, a theme that I pointed out last season, I’m amazed at the age of the signings we’ve made over the last 5 transfer windows. 

In chronological order, here are our last 12 permanent signings and the age that they will be at the beginning of this season :

Andy King - 32. 
Nathan Baker - 30. 
Matty James - 30. 
Danny Simpson - 34. 
Henri Lansbury - 30. 
Adrian Mariappa - 34. 
Chris Brunt - 36. 
Chris Martin - 32. 
Joe Williams - 24. 

Nahki Wells - 31. 
Rodri - 31. 
Ashley Williams - 36. 

11 of our last 12 signings are players who, at the start of this season, will be over 30. 

Now, I’ve nothing against a bit of experience, and I can fully understand Pearson wanting to bring in some elder statesmen. But I am still concerned that over the last 5 windows now we haven’t seen through our stated policy. We have signed 1 player (J Williams) who is someone yet to reach his prime, and we’ve signed no one who is currently in their prime. All the others are beyond their prime. 

As I said, I don’t have an issue with James signing, in fact I think that will be a fantastic signing. But we haven’t, in 5 windows now, made any signings that are for the longer term or that will increase in value. 

I hope that now Pearson has picked up 4 over 30’s that he now looks to supplement this with some younger players, either ‘prospects’ or ‘in their prime’. 
One thing that our squad lacks is players in the 24-28 bracket, who are what would usually be considered their most effective footballing years. 
Let’s wait and see what happens, but I will be disappointed if we don’t start to remedy this. 

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

I am happy with the signing of Matty James, and can understand the signing of Andy King. 

However, a theme that I pointed out last season, I’m amazed at the age of the signings we’ve made over the last 5 transfer windows. 

In chronological order, here are our last 12 permanent signings and the age that they will be at the beginning of this season :

Andy King - 32. 
Nathan Baker - 30. 
Matty James - 30. 
Danny Simpson - 34. 
Henri Lansbury - 30. 
Adrian Mariappa - 34. 
Chris Brunt - 36. 
Chris Martin - 32. 
Joe Williams - 24. 

Nahki Wells - 31. 
Rodri - 31. 
Ashley Williams - 36. 

11 of our last 12 signings are players who, at the start of this season, will be over 30. 

Now, I’ve nothing against a bit of experience, and I can fully understand Pearson wanting to bring in some elder statesmen. But I am still concerned that over the last 5 windows now we haven’t seen through our stated policy. We have signed 1 player (J Williams) who is someone yet to reach his prime, and we’ve signed no one who is currently in their prime. All the others are beyond their prime. 

As I said, I don’t have an issue with James signing, in fact I think that will be a fantastic signing. But we haven’t, in 5 windows now, made any signings that are for the longer term or that will increase in value. 

I hope that now Pearson has picked up 4 over 30’s that he now looks to supplement this with some younger players, either ‘prospects’ or ‘in their prime’. 
One thing that our squad lacks is players in the 24-28 bracket, who are what would usually be considered their most effective footballing years. 
Let’s wait and see what happens, but I will be disappointed if we don’t start to remedy this. 

Nige already has inherited a number of youngsters. Semenyo, Conway, Towler, Pearson, Bell et el.

No need yet to buy ‘for the future’

SLs policy of developing youngsters and blending them with experience players is finally bearing fruit.

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

Andy King - 32. 
Nathan Baker - 30. 
Matty James - 30. 
Danny Simpson - 34. 
Henri Lansbury - 30. 
Adrian Mariappa - 34. 
Chris Brunt - 36. 
Chris Martin - 32. 
Joe Williams - 24. 

Nahki Wells - 31. 
Rodri - 31. 
Ashley Williams - 36. 

Crazy to think if we signed these players 5 years ago we’d walk the league!

Just now, Robbored said:

Nige already has inherited a number of youngsters. Semenyo, Conway, Towler, Pearson, Bell et el.

No need yet to buy ‘for the future’

SLs policy of developing youngsters and blending them with experience players is finally bearing fruit.

We’ve got youngsters and we’ve got over 30’s. We haven’t got very much inbetween. 

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

Andy King - 32. 
Nathan Baker - 30. 
Matty James - 30. 
Danny Simpson - 34. 
Henri Lansbury - 30. 
Adrian Mariappa - 34. 
Chris Brunt - 36. 
Chris Martin - 32. 
Joe Williams - 24. 

Nahki Wells - 31. 
Rodri - 31. 
Ashley Williams - 36. 

That list doesn't really give the full picture though. Considering Brunt, Mariappa, Rodri, Ashley Williams and Lansbury were all stop gaps on max 6 month contracts to plug the ongoing injury issues we've had.

The rumour is Atkinson is done (?) so that would be one. Nigel’s first task is make us a team who won’t get relegated, a few experienced heads he trusts is therefore understandable. Once he’s got the foundations he wants in place then I’d imagine we’d be looking at players closer to their prime. Also a factor in this market can we afford players in their prime? Last summer Williams was the only player we paid a fee for and if Atkinson is true he’d be the first this summer, perhaps we can only afford one or two fees a summer and therefore have to target free transfers who are invariably older? 

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

We’ve got youngsters and we’ve got over 30’s. We haven’t got very much inbetween. 

Totally, basically just Kalas, O’Dowda, Palmer & Williams.

Atkinson is also young enough at 22 to come into the youngster category but if as we suspect he signs, this does start to address this.

2 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

That list doesn't really give the full picture though. Considering Brunt, Mariappa, Rodri, Ashley Williams and Lansbury were all stop gaps on max 6 month contracts to plug the ongoing injury issues we've had.

Good luck discussing that one with Harry, it’s like banging your head against a wall 

26 minutes ago, Harry said:

Andy King - 32. 
Nathan Baker - 30. 
Matty James - 30. 
Danny Simpson - 34. 
Henri Lansbury - 30. 
Adrian Mariappa - 34. 
Chris Brunt - 36. 
Chris Martin - 32. 
Joe Williams - 24. 

Nahki Wells - 31. 
Rodri - 31. 
Ashley Williams - 36. 

Not to pick holes, Baker wasn't 30 when he signed, he just renewed his contract :)

But I agree with your concerns, however signing just youngster hasn't worked signing dad's army won't work imo,

we need the happy medium, Pearson imo has seen a lack of leaders at the club, and King and James brings some leadership,

And we know bakers qualities as a leader,

Now we need to see the window through, if we sign pigott he is 27 which is a good age for a striker,

Then we have atkinson from Oxford at 22 again a good age and looks to have real quality,

Add to that we have some real good young players already at the club, the likes of Scott Conway britton etc, hopefully these older pros bring them on,

It's going to be interesting that's for sure

Finally top post Harry 

24 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Totally, basically just Kalas, O’Dowda, Palmer & Williams.

Atkinson is also young enough at 22 to come into the youngster category but if as we suspect he signs, this does start to address this.

Agreed with you and Harry on this one.

I'd really hope the next few signings are in that mid 20s range. The striker to be next, perhaps.

1 hour ago, RedRoss said:

I didn’t include loans. I only included ‘permanent’ signings. 
Webster was only with us for 1 season. Hartley, Wade Elliott. Would you not count them as ‘proper signings’ because they only ‘did the job’ for a year? 
Regardless of how they got here, they were signed on a permanent contract. Therefore they are classed as ‘permanent’ signings. Nothing can be said that makes that not a fact. 
If any of them were actually any good, they’d have been here longer. 

Here’s a view by position.D9DCDC86-22B8-4C6B-857D-BA4AF2BBC5EA.thumb.jpeg.8779c6129fc83abc75ee80eb03f093dc.jpeg

I think the other thing to bare / bear in mind is the length of contract given to these “older” players.  We are hamstringing ourselves by offering them 3 years deals (in the main), most have been short-term / one year deals.  So I’m not too worried about that.

I also think that average age of “breaking through” has gone up.  The days of “he’ll never make it if he’s not playing first team by 20” have gone and we are seeing the physical demands of modern football pushing that out a couple of years and it’s now c22 (ish).  On the flip, a player at 30 isn’t on the decline either, like they would’ve been seen to be 10, 15, 2p years ago.

The main driver though might be the players is the mid range 24-28, tend to be contracted, and therefore need fees to budge them.  So you either go the free-route with your James and King-type signings, whilst looking for value from fees by looking younger, e.g. Atkinson.

Signings like Marinovic, Rodri and Williams were outside of windows where beggars can’t be choosers.  Rodri nor Marinovic hung around to be a burden.  Willians was a good one season signing.  You could argue that it was bad succession planning to leave us in this situation…same last season.

Therefore Pearson has been left with an unbalanced aged squad.  I think he will gradually address the imbalance.  Next summer, or earlier, I expect Danny Simpson to be replaced, whether that’s because Vyner is a stellar RB and we need the next Vyner, or Vyner hasn’t worked out and we need a new first choice RB.  One 35 year old leaving, one 21-25 year old coming in.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Said exactly this on the general squad thread. 

Looking closer we've potentially got a spine "in their prime". IIRC Bentley is 27, Kalas 28, Nagy 26, then we just need a striker of 26-28 and we'd have a spine. If you add Palmer and O'Dowda (which I'd rather we didn't have to) then that's a couple more.

I agree though that it's going to be slightly odd to have a squad average age of about 26 or 27, but barely any players actually of that age.

Makes me think about unity as well. Would you expect a couple of cliques to form? The young under 25s and then the older 30+ guys? Potentially there's not a lot in common there. I'm 32 now and I'd hate to hang out or work with my 22 year-old self!

4 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Hopefully Nige hasn't forgot we need a couple of wingers to feed the strikers ?

CoD is essentially a wide man. He’s quick and tricky - it’ll be a question of whether Nige likes to use width. Semenyo is another who can play wide and another who’s very quick.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

CoD is essentially a wide man. He’s quick and tricky - it’ll be a question of whether Nige likes to use width. Semenyo is another who can play wide and another who’s very quick.

No good one game in five mate we've seen him for the last couple of years  flatter to deceive .odowda I mean that's where we struggled last year not feeding the target men .

15 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

No good one game in five mate we've seen him for the last couple of years  flatter to deceive .odowda I mean that's where we struggled last year not feeding the target men .

I don’t think the CoD has been utilised to maximise his strengths. I could count on one hand how many times I saw him run at the defenders and try to cause havoc. He’s been stifled imo. 

That said much depends on what style Nige wants adopt. He may or may not see wide men as an integral part on the 11. 

We’ll just have to wait and see.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Andy King - 32. 
Nathan Baker - 30. 
Matty James - 30. 
Danny Simpson - 34. 
Henri Lansbury - 30. 
Adrian Mariappa - 34. 
Chris Brunt - 36. 
Chris Martin - 32. 
Joe Williams - 24. 

Nahki Wells - 31. 
Rodri - 31. 
Ashley Williams - 36. 

I think you have to remember that almost every player on that list was free so let’s face it we are never going to pick up a good quality championship 24 year old that costs nothing

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Andy King - 32. 
Nathan Baker - 30. 
Matty James - 30. 
Danny Simpson - 34. 
Henri Lansbury - 30. 
Adrian Mariappa - 34. 
Chris Brunt - 36. 
Chris Martin - 32. 
Joe Williams - 24. 

Nahki Wells - 31. 
Rodri - 31. 
Ashley Williams - 36. 

All very true, however, the caveat in there is how many of those will actually start the 2021/22 season with us? I make it five (King, James, Baker, Simpson, Wells). Two of those are PL winners, another played a huge role in getting to the PL.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't have an issue with that experienced nucleus and you're spot on about needing to recruit players in the their primes to balance it out. Hopefully Atkinson will be the first of those and more will follow, either on loans or permanently. 

37 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don’t think the CoD has been utilised to maximise his strengths. I could count on one hand how many times I saw him run at the defenders and try to cause havoc. He’s been stifled imo. 

That said much depends on what style Nige wants adopt. He may or may not see wide men as an integral part on the 11. 

We’ll just have to wait and see.

7 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

No width no goals you could see the difference when Southgate brought on Grealish the other night a lot of teams play with attacking fullbacks but you got to have in the club lets hope desilva stays fit .

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

The main driver though might be the players is the mid range 24-28, tend to be contracted, and therefore need fees to budge them.  So you either go the free-route with your James and King-type signings, whilst looking for value from fees by looking younger, e.g. Atkinson.

You could argue that it was bad succession planning to leave us in this situation…same last season.

This is exactly what I’m taking about. 
The transfer strategy over the last 3 years has been dreadful. And I know the people responsible for that are no longer here. 
We are suffering now due to a lack of succession planning over the past few years. 
This is exactly why I would still be pushing fo the signings I’ve mentioned on various threads, to use this summer to bring in the likes of Scott Twine, Josh Knight, Josh Key, Matt Jay, Leo Ostigard, Ben Sheaf etc etc. 
We should be building the team for the next few years NOW. 
I totally understand that someone like James is necessary (very good pickup too in my opinion), but I fail to see how the signings of Simpson, King & Baker are going to be any better than picking up some early 20’s kids who will be almost ready now, but better long term strategy. 
If Simpson, King & Baker start 20-25 games each, I’ll hold my hands up. But in my opinion we’d be better off signing some younger guys who might also compete enough for 15-20 games this year and be better for us for the next 5 years potentially. 

We’ve neglected a succession plan for 3 years now. I don’t understand why we would continue to neglect it again this year. 

Tried and tested Harry,

Our spine has been weak, if that improves the spine of the team for the next 2 years, it's a platform to build from,

We've got the talent we haven't had the no how,

The way that team gave up last season was disgraceful (kalas and Bentley aside)

We can never let that happen again, and if this experience prevents that, then it's worth it

19 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

No width no goals you could see the difference when Southgate brought on Grealish the other night a lot of teams play with attacking fullbacks but you got to have them lets hope desilva stays fit .

The days of Waish, Smudger or Murray bombing up the wings are sadly long gone……..:disapointed2se: 

The game has changed in the last 20-25 years. Gone are the ‘we’ll score more than you’ attitude that we often saw under Danny Wilson. The flair has gone from the game and these days not losing seems to be the main agenda.

Its a sad reflection of the modern game and I’m sure many of us would love City play with freedom. Not sure it’s going to happen tho.

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

The transfer strategy over the last 3 years has been dreadful. And I know the people responsible for that are no longer here. 
We are suffering now due to a lack of succession planning over the past few years. 
This is exactly why I would still be pushing fo the signings I’ve mentioned on various threads, to use this summer to bring in the likes of Scott Twine, Josh Knight, Josh Key, Matt Jay, Leo Ostigard, Ben Sheaf etc etc. 
I totally understand that someone like James is necessary (very good pickup too in my opinion), but I fail to see how the signings of Simpson, King & Baker are going to be any better than picking up some early 20’s kids who will be almost ready now, but better long term strategy. 
If Simpson, King & Baker start 20-25 games each, I’ll hold my hands up. But in my opinion we’d be better off signing some younger guys who might also compete enough for 15-20 games this year and be better for us for the next 5 years potentially. 

We’ve neglected a succession plan for 3 years now. I don’t understand why we would continue to neglect it again this year. 

Could all be down to finance. We’d have to pay fees for a lot of the players you’ve mentioned . 
perhaps it’s a case of starting the planning succession from next season & scouting who we want now, for then . By then the kids will be another year older with varying degrees of experience depending on if they stay in or go on loan . The picture may be clearer on who’s needed & more money available. I’m sure there may also be scope for one or two in January . 

Needed a mentality change. There has been something seriously wrong for some time. This window is unusual as 2 years money has all but disappeared for clubs, no one knows where they stand and that has to be a concern.
I think this is short term to get us solid for the coming season, make us competitive and then see who comes through and what we need. Add some quality next summer in a bid to compete for playoffs with luck. 

Pearson knows what a big job it is, first step looks promising with the back room staff. We will see how things look quite early on in the season.

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Andy King - 32. 
Nathan Baker - 30. 
Matty James - 30. 
Danny Simpson - 34. 
Henri Lansbury - 30. 
Adrian Mariappa - 34. 
Chris Brunt - 36. 
Chris Martin - 32. 
Joe Williams - 24. 

Nahki Wells - 31. 
Rodri - 31. 
Ashley Williams - 36. 

Well, four of them were free agents who arrived only because of emergencies (injuries), so I wouldn't consider them as part of a real recruiting plan.

Then there are exceptions based on particular situations: on paper Wells representend an unique chance for City, considering the type of deal (Brownhill going the other way) and the amount of money we should have spent for a proven goalscorer/indipendent signing; anothere example is Martin's arrival, that was probably linked to Diédhiou's contractual situation, so a sort of plan B (if Fammy signed, maybe we could have taken a young PL striker on loan).

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I don’t think the CoD has been utilised to maximise his strengths. I could count on one hand how many times I saw him run at the defenders and try to cause havoc.

Whereas I could count on both of my and your hands the number of times I saw COD run at defenders then stop, turn around and pass it backwards. 

I’m truly unsure what his strengths are and what he brings to the team; he creates little (I suspect that his record of assists is underwhelming), scores few, and seems to avoid tackling.

If NP can develop COD’s game such that he creates real value to the team, I’ll be absolutely delighted but presently, when I see his name on the teamsheet I’m sort of disappointed.

47 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think we have to wait until the end of the window to understand if we are neglecting it or not, maybe even January.  Atkinson coming in will change that dynamic, when it’s announced.

Those “early 20s kids” will cost a fee….and might also not be able to contribute this season.

Much as we both like the names you’ve listed, you could easily argue why has Twine “only” gone to MK Dons, why have Jay and Key stayed at Exeter.  Why has Knight, despite a full season at Champ level only gone to Peterborough, another promoted side, etc, etc.  Twine might want regular football, not a year or so of development.  He might’ve seen what happened to Szmodics, to Eisa, to Adelakun, etc.  We are possibly paying for Ashton and Johnson’s previous actions!

Its a a really delicate balancing act.  Maybe Nige thinks Massengo, Bakinson, Bell, Conway etc aren’t that far off and with a few senior heads around he can integrate them better and get minutes from them for zero cost.  Maybe that building comes initially from inside bar the odd Atkinson-type here or there.  I guess Simpson doesn’t need to play 15-20 games if Vyner plays 40.

I don’t think it’s black and white, am playing Devil’s advocate to some extent.  I don’t think I’d have gone for King per se either. But i saw more logic in Simpson.

Lets see who the striker is.  Is it going to be another 30-something (Michael Smith) or someone else?

Archived