Jump to content
IGNORED

Last 5 Transfer Windows


Harry
 Share

Recommended Posts

I don’t see any of these signings as particularly surprising - i get the impression he wants to build a culture with a few lads he trusts which we know is important. 
Once we get a proper head of recruitment in i think we will start to see a change in strategy.

For me, next season is still just about staying in the division, nothings changed my mind on that yet.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Here’s a view by position.D9DCDC86-22B8-4C6B-857D-BA4AF2BBC5EA.thumb.jpeg.8779c6129fc83abc75ee80eb03f093dc.jpeg

I think the other thing to bare / bear in mind is the length of contract given to these “older” players.  We are hamstringing ourselves by offering them 3 years deals (in the main), most have been short-term / one year deals.  So I’m not too worried about that.

I also think that average age of “breaking through” has gone up.  The days of “he’ll never make it if he’s not playing first team by 20” have gone and we are seeing the physical demands of modern football pushing that out a couple of years and it’s now c22 (ish).  On the flip, a player at 30 isn’t on the decline either, like they would’ve been seen to be 10, 15, 2p years ago.

The main driver though might be the players is the mid range 24-28, tend to be contracted, and therefore need fees to budge them.  So you either go the free-route with your James and King-type signings, whilst looking for value from fees by looking younger, e.g. Atkinson.

Signings like Marinovic, Rodri and Williams were outside of windows where beggars can’t be choosers.  Rodri nor Marinovic hung around to be a burden.  Willians was a good one season signing.  You could argue that it was bad succession planning to leave us in this situation…same last season.

Therefore Pearson has been left with an unbalanced aged squad.  I think he will gradually address the imbalance.  Next summer, or earlier, I expect Danny Simpson to be replaced, whether that’s because Vyner is a stellar RB and we need the next Vyner, or Vyner hasn’t worked out and we need a new first choice RB.  One 35 year old leaving, one 21-25 year old coming in.

 

I think the other driver for the recruitment of older players is that we have a specific objective currently: change the culture.

With experienced players, specifically those whose attitude is exceptional, Pearson believes he can guard against the kind of naivety and weakness of character that led to a near relegation battle last season.

Phase 1 is develop a culture (I believe), by which I mean a togetherness, a toughness and game intelligence. For this you need the 'cultural architects', as LJ would probably say.

Phase 2 (or season 2) will be more about bringing in players to buy into that culture, perhaps?

If Nige doesn't change the squad mentality we're doomed.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Harry said:

This is exactly what I’m taking about. 
The transfer strategy over the last 3 years has been dreadful. And I know the people responsible for that are no longer here. 
We are suffering now due to a lack of succession planning over the past few years. 
This is exactly why I would still be pushing fo the signings I’ve mentioned on various threads, to use this summer to bring in the likes of Scott Twine, Josh Knight, Josh Key, Matt Jay, Leo Ostigard, Ben Sheaf etc etc. 
We should be building the team for the next few years NOW. 
I totally understand that someone like James is necessary (very good pickup too in my opinion), but I fail to see how the signings of Simpson, King & Baker are going to be any better than picking up some early 20’s kids who will be almost ready now, but better long term strategy. 
If Simpson, King & Baker start 20-25 games each, I’ll hold my hands up. But in my opinion we’d be better off signing some younger guys who might also compete enough for 15-20 games this year and be better for us for the next 5 years potentially. 
 

We’ve neglected a succession plan for 3 years now. I don’t understand why we would continue to neglect it again this year. 

The time to get all the young players adjusted to championship football would be a risk if the don’t come off straight away we are in trouble. We were dropping like a stone already. Yes we need to sign some younger players. But a team of league one all stars is a massive risk . This window is short term . Stop the slide keep us in the division then start to build . I’m sure in a years time the younger players we have will be fitter stronger faster and gained experience by playing and training with the older heads . We can then add to that . The reason as I see it why we had some many old signings was poor squad management. We all knew Webster was leaving no replacements lined up and left it to late so Williams signed . Always a striker short so Rodri signed . Obvious after Williams left we needed to replace him no action taken so marriapa signed All panic signings cause we were always short in the squad as the rest under the 1st team were kids. Martin and Wells solid championship strikers only late 20s early 30s . Brunt was shot physically and should have been noticed maybe a trial in pre season then a decision made pure bad management. This is a stop the rot season I’m sure with revenue coming back in the club and stability ensured younger players will be chased and recruited just not this window as this is different to any other window ever

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a supporter the recent transfer policy has been a bit depressing tbh. I want to see us developing promising players who in a year or two might be really good to watch and get us promoted. 

What's happened is that as soon as we have them reaching their potential they are sold. The likes of Bryan and Reid would be those mid-20's and maybe that is why we are in this mess. Sell them as they peak, backfill with short term fixes of older players then hope you'll develop a youngster as a longer term replacement. But we would only flog them again once they got there. 

Not very encouraging for us supporters really is it. Let's hope once covid fades and the market stabilises again Nige will be allowed to recruit for longer term success. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, robin_unreliant said:

As a supporter the recent transfer policy has been a bit depressing tbh. I want to see us developing promising players who in a year or two might be really good to watch and get us promoted. 

What's happened is that as soon as we have them reaching their potential they are sold. The likes of Bryan and Reid would be those mid-20's and maybe that is why we are in this mess. Sell them as they peak, backfill with short term fixes of older players then hope you'll develop a youngster as a longer term replacement. But we would only flog them again once they got there. 

Not very encouraging for us supporters really is it. Let's hope once covid fades and the market stabilises again Nige will be allowed to recruit for longer term success. 

We could see this happening only have to look at Wimbledon Charlton when in the premier league and other clubs. You can’t keep selling your best players and find and produce gems eventually the mine runs out then you end up with the journey men left . We sold and sold and sold not really replaced any of them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, pjg11 said:

We could see this happening only have to look at Wimbledon Charlton when in the premier league and other clubs. You can’t keep selling your best players and find and produce gems eventually the mine runs out then you end up with the journey men left . We sold and sold and sold not really replaced any of them

Had the chances over the years to still buy outstanding younger players didn’t go for it Watkins Toney Dack are just a few

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dan Robin said:

Well, four of them were free agents who arrived only because of emergencies (injuries), so I wouldn't consider them as part of a real recruiting plan.

Indeed. Those free agent signings were made because we were in a beggars can’t be choosers market. 
We should’ve made sure we weren’t in a ‘beggars’ market. 
If you find yourself needing a free agent player 2 weeks after the windows had shut, you’ve only got yourself to blame. 
There’s been no succession plan for 5 windows. I’m just concerned that we are carrying on with the ‘here and now’ approach and not thinking about the next 2-5 seasons as well. 
 

I’ll hold fire on full assessment as yet, as we’ve got a fair few weeks yet to see if we start to remedy this. 
But free agents or not, the simple facts are that 11 of the last 12 permanent signings haven’t been exactly forward thinking. 
Hopefully if Atkinson arrives, then great. But I’ll be disappointed if the “5” players Pearson said he wanted to bring in are Simpson, James, King, Baker & Atkinson. We need to add a couple more of the Atkinson mould and I’ll be more content. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pjg11 said:

Had the chances over the years to still buy outstanding younger players didn’t go for it Watkins Toney Dack are just a few

Tony would 9f cost us 12 million dack 4 million Watkins 3 million(I think)

That's hardly buying cheap and developing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Indeed. Those free agent signings were made because we were in a beggars can’t be choosers market. 
We should’ve made sure we weren’t in a ‘beggars’ market. 
If you find yourself needing a free agent player 2 weeks after the windows had shut, you’ve only got yourself to blame. 

There’s been no succession plan for 5 windows. I’m just concerned that we are carrying on with the ‘here and now’ approach and not thinking about the next 2-5 seasons as well. 
 

I’ll hold fire on full assessment as yet, as we’ve got a fair few weeks yet to see if we start to remedy this. 
But free agents or not, the simple facts are that 11 of the last 12 permanent signings haven’t been exactly forward thinking. 
Hopefully if Atkinson arrives, then great. But I’ll be disappointed if the “5” players Pearson said he wanted to bring in are Simpson, James, King, Baker & Atkinson. We need to add a couple more of the Atkinson mould and I’ll be more content. 

1) I disagree about this point, because many factors can complicate the scenario/plan: injuries, players/youngsters who didn't progress enough or can't be recalled from loans, players doing an u-turn (Nketiah), budget limits,etc.;

2) I partially agree: our transfers changed a little in the last windows (ex: big money for Kalas, three signings from Chelsea, more key players sold), but I don't know if this changes were planned or happened because of X circumstances (one of them is surely Covid and its effect on finances) ;

3) I agree about it and I think we'll see at least one young player coming here on loan to balance the age of the team and add something different: Nigel's opinion about Conway,Scott and co.could influence the type of target.

Edited by Dan Robin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Tony would 9f cost us 12 million dack 4 million Watkins 3 million(I think)

That's hardly buying cheap and developing

We were aware of Watkins a long time before he was worth 3m!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Tony would 9f cost us 12 million dack 4 million Watkins 3 million(I think)

That's hardly buying cheap and developing

 

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Tony would 9f cost us 12 million dack 4 million Watkins 3 million(I think)

That's hardly buying cheap and developing

How much has been made on Watkins how much is Toney worth now. Just used as examples . £5million on fam massive profit made on him . Making a point the ones for the future profit don’t come at a super low price . Buy for cheap get average Odowda adeluken not really ever of that standard again just examples we haven’t bought top quality young players bought cheap young players and hasn’t worked 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Rob k said:

We were aware of Watkins a long time before he was worth 3m!! 

 

3 minutes ago, pjg11 said:

 

How much has been made on Watkins how much is Toney worth now. Just used as examples . £5million on fam massive profit made on him . Making a point the ones for the future profit don’t come at a super low price . Buy for cheap get average Odowda adeluken not really ever of that standard again just examples we haven’t bought top quality young players bought cheap young players and hasn’t worked 

Toney went for £5 million plus add ons which would inflate the price but keep or sell has made Brentford a fortune . As one of our young profit making forwards Engvall made us a fortune 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Three different managers all managing an injury crisis bring in some near, at or over 30s professionals shocker  

sigh!

All you 29 year olds remember you are a few months away from your 30th birthday where your facilities fail you all at once. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Harry said:

I’ll hold fire on full assessment as yet, as we’ve got a fair few weeks yet to see if we start to remedy this. 
But free agents or not, the simple facts are that 11 of the last 12 permanent signings haven’t been exactly forward thinking. 
Hopefully if Atkinson arrives, then great. But I’ll be disappointed if the “5” players Pearson said he wanted to bring in are Simpson, James, King, Baker & Atkinson. We need to add a couple more of the Atkinson mould and I’ll be more content. 

How do we know they're not here already, Harry?

Maybe their names are Conway, Bell, Pearson, Pring, Scott, Towler, Cundy, Janneh ??

One or two of those might pleasantly surprise us this season, given the chance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Marco the red said:

That's all he does run at defenders and then stops to turn around cos he doesn't know what to do, he can't cause havoc because he isnt good enough to. I wonder what some fans watch sometimes but with COD same old story year after year in my honest opinion.

Well…….my opinion on CoD is slightly different to yours and I believe that to get the maximum out of him then he needs to be given license to express himself and not be inhibited by team orders, orders that contributed to him stopping and turning around when in good positions.

Maybe under Nige we’ll see a different CoD…………:dunno:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Too many in the last few seasons in that age bracket IMO, a few sure- I was advocating in May potentially pushing for- perm one of each- Smith, Femenia, Kabasele, Cook- had they become available as free agents. One RB, one CB- good PL experience, in some cases European football, Championship high end- yet only 29, 30.

James absolutely good signing, but I have my concerns about Simpson and King due to a mix of age and gametime. Didn't have a great problem with Mariappa and Williams in a way, nor Rodri- short term or 1 year deals though I was concerned about the first 2 tactically, high line- Williams legs had certainly gone prior to us signing him.

24-28 bracket, we definitely need a few more of these in outfield positions and perhaps key positions at that- was hoping that maybe we go for Crooks as the 2nd midfielder? King signing has knocked this on the head, though I didn't realise FWIW that he's a Bristol City fan.

Brunt and Lansbury though e.g.- why. What's the point- in the case of the latter we desperately needed an LB, even just a serviceable one so we proceeded to go ahead and sign...Lansbury. As for Brunt, the less said the better- Wells I get, although we haven't exactly played to his strengths- Martin, well we played him into the ground- learnt nothing from Cocu's management of him in 2019/20 up to the Covid break.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...