IGNORED

Which cricket team do you follow?

Roadrunner

Which cricket team do you follow.  

220 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Somerset, couldn’t support Glos it’s north of the river………

So if you live North of the River you shouldn't support City?

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Somerset, couldn’t support Glos it’s north of the river………

42 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

This is a good reason to support Somerset, the others on here should support their local team

Born in Whitchurch (which was in Somerset at that point), Somerset played games at The Imperial Ground and Brislingon, so much nearer in that respect to Gloucestershire CCC’s ground.

Zummerzet, lalala.

• Admin
31 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Bristol is a City and County, traditionally South of the River is a lot closer to Somerset than Gloucestershire.  No idea why Bristol doesn’t have a County cricket team.

50 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Bristol is a City and County, traditionally South of the River is a lot closer to Somerset than Gloucestershire.  No idea why Bristol doesn’t have a County cricket team.

Bristol ceased to be a County in 1974 - then it was in Avon until 1996 now it is a ceremonial county - not to be confused with the traditional definition of a County in this country ...

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

This is a good reason to support Somerset, the others on here should support their local team

A county cricket team choosing to play in our home is a lot different to them being our home county - I grew up not far from @Davefevs and like him I watched Somerset play at The Imperial Ground in Brislington - it was also easy to go and see them play in Bath and Weston super Mare, and Taunton was a doddle on the train.

The southern suburbs of Bristol have always had an affinity with Somerset - a football team both myself and @Davefevs played for was based in the area close to where we grew up and each year we had to enter the Somerset Cup due to the traditional county borderlines. We weren’t permitted to enter the Gloucestershire cup competitions due to the location of our home ground.

We had some long and fruitless trips in that Somerset Cup - I remember a particularly dismal 3-0 defeat away at Langport. Interestingly, City reserves also entered that competition back in the day ...

• Admin
1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Bristol ceased to be a County in 1974 - then it was in Avon until 1996 now it is a ceremonial county - not to be confused with the traditional definition of a County in this country ...

Still doesn’t explain why it has never had a county cricket team.

Born Bristol = GLOUCESTERSHIRE - boundary changes don't impact on history

Can't be anything else even if Zummerset have more success (and unlike with the Gas - I quite like Zummerset but it is always Gloucestershire)

Glos, for reasons variously stated by others. The County ground was simply far closer to home for my Dad to take me to local matches when I was a kid than Taunton. So I became through and through a Gloucestershire fan. And the same logic of proximity is probably what made me a City fan too.

1 hour ago, Big C said:

South Of The River : City and Somerset

North Of The River: Gas and Glos

Thought everyone knew that ??

Well I obviously didn’t. North of the river and City and Somerset (Thanks in part to Sir Ian, Viv Richards & Marcus Trescothick)

Gloucestershire. I remember going to the final match of the 1977 season against Hampshire. If we had beaten them we’d have won the County Championship. In the end we were well beaten.

My abiding memory though is of Andy Stovold telling a little boy to eff off after he returned the ball to him following another Greenidge boundary.

Grew up in Sussex but was always Glos for me.

My dad grew up nearish the county ground but was a city fan because my grandad took him to the gate (he used to live in south Bristol before moving) 

My dad started taking me to games when I was 4, so I was young but lucky to see the dominant one day side we had in the early 2000s.

19 hours ago, Markman said:

Born Bristol = GLOUCESTERSHIRE - boundary changes don't impact on history

Can't be anything else even if Zummerset have more success (and unlike with the Gas - I quite like Zummerset but it is always Gloucestershire)

Dont forget that while neither side have been County champions Glos beat Somerset 10 to 8 in one day competitions.

3 hours ago, bartolona said:

Going by this poll the majority of City follow Somerset, i take it this poll would have the opposite result on the gas forum?

By a distance, with the exception of the few from the Twerton era still going who will be Somerset, the blue few are pretty much 100% Glos if they are interested in cricket.

Archived