IGNORED

Wells hat trick

1960maaan

Nice to see him get some goals in, what appears to be a bit of a stroll.

The first after 17 seconds, the 2nd with a flick and a Pen for the HT.

There's a write up below.

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2021/07/03/wells-gold-cup-record-sets-bermuda-winner-takes-haitian-tie/

Wells’ Gold Cup record sets Bermuda up with winner takes all Haitian tie

3rd July 2021

Prelims Qualifier: Bermuda 8 Barbados 1

July 2 – It took just 17 seconds for Nakhi Wells to put Bermuda a goal ahead in the Gold Cup preliminary play-offs and begin what was a night of pain for Barbados as they crashed to an 8-1 defeat.

Wells, who plys his trade for Bristol City in the English Championship, scored his second on 14 minutes and completed his hattrick on 87 minutes. His first goal, a tap in from a ball angled through the Barbados defence, was a Gold Cup record for the fastest goal scored in a match.

Bermuda head coach Kyle Lightbourne said he had “not expected that scoreline. VAR got us off to a good start because the assistant called it offside – so it was great start to the game”. And it just got better and better as Wells created havoc in the Bermuda defence.

By half time Bermuda had scored two more through Reggie Lambe and Dante Leverock. Barbados pulled one back through Hadan Holligan in the dying seconds of the half, but it was too little too late.

The second half brought no comfort for Barbados. A Krystian Pearce own goal was soon followed by two goals in as many minutes from Kane Crichlow and Zeiko Lewis, before Wells completed his hattrick.

Bermuda will now face Haiti on Tuesday in a play-off for a spot in the Gold Cup group stages.

“It will be a tougher test against Haiti,” said Lightbourne. “They beat us 2-1 in the Gold Cup last time.”

Barbados coach Russell Lapaty will have better days but this one will hurt for a while. “It was not like us how we played tonight. It was not how we have generally played. We just never got going. There were challenges in getting here and the start of the game. I don’t know if that put us off a bit but I am not here to make excuses. I am a bit embarrassed to be honest.

“What saw tonight was definitely not the way we have trained or played… it was a total disaster for us tonight.”

The road to recovery is recognising that you have a problem. Lapaty has a few looking at that performance.

The road to the Gold Cup group stages is just opened up for Bermuda

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I cant stop watching the 7th goal and the way the ball hits the net. How unnatural does that look.

It does look a very strange goal because it doesn't look like it's going very fast the goal keeper is too easily beaten and yeah it stops dead when it hits the net.

There is either something not right about that net or a load of spin on that ball.

14 minutes ago, Pezo said:

It does look a very strange goal because it doesn't look like it's going very fast the goal keeper is too easily beaten and yeah it stops dead when it hits the net.

There is either something not right about that net or a load of spin on that ball.

Reckon it’s hit a peg or the net hasn’t been tied properly.  Anyone who’s put nets up on a Sunday morning knows that you can never get the net and pegs even!!!

Might’ve been the France pens the other night where the ball went into top left corner and almost stayed in the netting.

Based on FIFA rankings Barbados should have been favourites but they look like a pub team in these clips.

Bermuda play Haiti next, who are a far better side.

If they win they then go into the group stage with Canada, USA & Martinique their 3 opponents.

On 03/07/2021 at 09:17, 1960maaan said:

Nice to see him get some goals in, what appears to be a bit of a stroll.

The first after 17 seconds, the 2nd with a flick and a Pen for the HT.

There's a write up below.

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2021/07/03/wells-gold-cup-record-sets-bermuda-winner-takes-haitian-tie/

Wells’ Gold Cup record sets Bermuda up with winner takes all Haitian tie

3rd July 2021

Prelims Qualifier: Bermuda 8 Barbados 1

July 2 – It took just 17 seconds for Nakhi Wells to put Bermuda a goal ahead in the Gold Cup preliminary play-offs and begin what was a night of pain for Barbados as they crashed to an 8-1 defeat.

Wells, who plys his trade for Bristol City in the English Championship, scored his second on 14 minutes and completed his hattrick on 87 minutes. His first goal, a tap in from a ball angled through the Barbados defence, was a Gold Cup record for the fastest goal scored in a match.

Bermuda head coach Kyle Lightbourne said he had “not expected that scoreline. VAR got us off to a good start because the assistant called it offside – so it was great start to the game”. And it just got better and better as Wells created havoc in the Bermuda defence.

By half time Bermuda had scored two more through Reggie Lambe and Dante Leverock. Barbados pulled one back through Hadan Holligan in the dying seconds of the half, but it was too little too late.

The second half brought no comfort for Barbados. A Krystian Pearce own goal was soon followed by two goals in as many minutes from Kane Crichlow and Zeiko Lewis, before Wells completed his hattrick.

Bermuda will now face Haiti on Tuesday in a play-off for a spot in the Gold Cup group stages.

“It will be a tougher test against Haiti,” said Lightbourne. “They beat us 2-1 in the Gold Cup last time.”

Barbados coach Russell Lapaty will have better days but this one will hurt for a while. “It was not like us how we played tonight. It was not how we have generally played. We just never got going. There were challenges in getting here and the start of the game. I don’t know if that put us off a bit but I am not here to make excuses. I am a bit embarrassed to be honest.

“What saw tonight was definitely not the way we have trained or played… it was a total disaster for us tonight.”

The road to recovery is recognising that you have a problem. Lapaty has a few looking at that performance.

The road to the Gold Cup group stages is just opened up for Bermuda

Our fave ex City player from Barbados would not have been happy with that ??

7 minutes ago, !james said:

Goodridge retired from international football in 2008! 

Yep, the Barbados line up & subs are online, I have no idea why someone would seriously suggest that Greg Goodridge, who is 50 next week, was playing.

9 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Yep, the Barbados line up & subs are online, I have no idea why someone would seriously suggest that Greg Goodridge, who is 50 next week, was playing.

Glad you said that. thought I was going mad for a minute 

Got another goal last night but they lost 4-1 to Haiti, so they are out.

Presumably he’ll return to training relatively quickly as with the greatest of respect facing Barbados & Haiti isn’t quite like playing at the Euros.

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Got another goal last night but they lost 4-1 to Haiti, so they are out.

Presumably he’ll return to training relatively quickly as with the greatest of respect facing Barbados & Haiti isn’t quite like playing at the Euros.

EP coverage: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/nahki-wells-bristol-city-pearson-5621270

Archived