IGNORED

Not wanting Gerland to win

1team

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

No, it's just you claimed as a fact that there are English people that hate England and that the football team epitomise everything they despise (Englishness I suppose?) - I'm just not convinced these people exist and have certainly never met one.

Unless they mean those snobby types who look down on those football types who shout and swear and get a bit boisterous? I don’t think they necessarily hate England, but they possibly are uncomfortable with that side of Englishness that they might consider to be rough/common?

Let me be clear the OP is an utter (insert expletive that got me a weeks ban recently here)

I do get it. That the English are super noisy about being English at football (and after) and have been, in the past, inclined to fight over it.

However that’s who we are and that’s that. I’m not apologizing or disinclined to not support my national team due to that. 

CMON ENGLAND. 

6 hours ago, SecretSam said:

That's something I can get on board with. The ******* annual wankathon just because it's Wimbledon, almost no-one in this country plays tennis.

I play tennis, as does Mrs Robbo and junior Robbo #2. She's 13 and can already beat me.  Not that that is tough. :blush:

I prefer a good knock around on the court to squash or golf or various other sports that people have tried to interest me in playing over the years.

According to Sport England about 3/4 a million people regularly play tennis. 

I have a love/hate thing with the Wimbledon  Championships though.  As an ex-SW19 resident I soon hated the Village pubs becoming filled with braying Hooray Henry types who'd inevitably stand about 5 feet from the bar and shout their inevitably confused order at the bar staff, of course wanting a comprehensive list of every wine available to be read out, even though a booklet on their table could have told them all that information.  :ranting:

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Unless they mean those snobby types who look down on those football types who shout and swear and get a bit boisterous? I don’t think they necessarily hate England, but they possibly are uncomfortable with that side of Englishness that they might consider to be rough/common?

do you mean Working Class?

8 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I agree entirely, but those people certainly do not hate England the country.

I'm not sure it's entirely a class thing either as someone else has suggested. There are plenty of working class types that don't like football or some of the behaviours commonly associated with it, just as there are plenty of people who see themselves as above working class but love their football as much as anybody else.

27 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I'm not sure it's entirely a class thing either as someone else has suggested. There are plenty of working class types that don't like football or some of the behaviours commonly associated with it, just as there are plenty of people who see themselves as above working class but love their football as much as anybody else.

yes, football is a broad church, and long may it continue so. 

3 hours ago, richwwtk said:

I think there are a small minority on Twitter who are English and by their postings very much appear to hate anything associated with England/Englishness and Brexit hasn't done a great deal to change that opinion!! You really don't have to look that hard to find them. However it seems to me if you spend any length of time on Twitter you need your head examining anyway. Just full of childish, polarised WUM's looking for 1500 people to bite at their latest comment.

As for not liking football there are plenty of sports I wouldn't watch if they were taking place free of charge in my back garden but if an English representative was in a major semi-final or final of that sport I would wish them well not say "I don't like curling, hope you get ******* stuffed"........some strange people about imo.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I think there are a small minority on Twitter who are English and by their postings very much appear to hate anything associated with England/Englishness and Brexit hasn't done a great deal to change that opinion!! You really don't have to look that hard to find them. However it seems to me if you spend any length of time on Twitter you need your head examining anyway. Just full of childish, polarised WUM's looking for 1500 people to bite at their latest comment.

As for not liking football there are plenty of sports I wouldn't watch if they were taking place free of charge in my back garden but if an English representative was in a major semi-final or final of that sport I would wish them well not say "I don't like curling, hope you get ******* stuffed"........some strange people about imo.

Do these people on Twitter actually hate England/Englishness or just your own personal definition of it? England and Englishness can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

For want of a better example, Al Murray as Pub Landlord (whilst funny) is boorish and and a mild example of nationalistic patriotism yet the person behind the character is absolutely nothing like that. He has spoken regularly about how the pub landlord is a character deliberately lampooining that type, yet he regularly gets people coming to him after shows telling him about how refreshing it is to hear someone on stage say it 'how it really is'. I can imagine that the type of person that sees the pub landlord as a role model rather than pisstake would indeed be a hard person to like and would probably accuse you of 'hating England' if you didn't agree with them.

13 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Do these people on Twitter actually hate England/Englishness or just your own personal definition of it? England and Englishness can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

For want of a better example, Al Murray as Pub Landlord (whilst funny) is boorish and and a mild example of nationalistic patriotism yet the person behind the character is absolutely nothing like that. He has spoken regularly about how the pub landlord is a character deliberately lampooining that type, yet he regularly gets people coming to him after shows telling him about how refreshing it is to hear someone on stage say it 'how it really is'. I can imagine that the type of person that sees the pub landlord as a role model rather than pisstake would indeed be a hard person to like and would probably accuse you of 'hating England' if you didn't agree with them.

If all someone does is sneer at anything that happens in their own country and any perceived "success" it has and/or sneers at people from this country who are happy for that success by referring to them as "little Englanders" then, in my opinion, they aren't doing a great impression of liking it very much.....having such a superiority complex is, of course, their prerogative. I'm saying it is a tiny minority based on what I've seen and you appear to be saying as fact that these people don't exist at all?

Al Murray is about as funny as gout in my view. Perhaps I miss the point but the guy doesn't make me laugh at all. Someone I definitely wouldn't watch free of charge in my own back garden.

42 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I would say anyone who doesn't want someone from their own country to not do well at something just because they are English are as bigoted as those who hate on other Nationalities for no real reason.

Anyway Come on England!

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

If all someone does is sneer at anything that happens in their own country and any perceived "success" it has and/or sneers at people from this country who are happy for that success by referring to them as "little Englanders" then, in my opinion, they aren't doing a great impression of liking it very much.....having such a superiority complex is, of course, their prerogative. I'm saying it is a tiny minority based on what I've seen and you appear to be saying as fact that these people don't exist at all?

Al Murray is about as funny as gout in my view. Perhaps I miss the point but the guy doesn't make me laugh at all. Someone I definitely wouldn't watch free of charge in my own back garden.

I think the anti English rhetoric has been fuelled over the years by MSM, a kind of embarrassment and shame of our history, and also customs, sneering of differing classes and of course brexit. I suppose I’ve noticed a theme of sneering of anything perceived as English, as opposed to anything EU, which is somehow considered as far superior in every way.

5 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I think the anti English rhetoric has been fuelled over the years by MSM, a kind of embarrassment and shame of our history, and also customs, sneering of differing classes and of course brexit. I suppose I’ve noticed a theme of sneering of anything perceived as English, as opposed to anything EU, which is somehow considered as far superior in every way.

Yes, agreed, and as I say it is only a tiny minority. I cannot agree with people who say these types don't exist though. I have no experience of ever knowingly meeting anyone from the BNP/Combat 18/National Front etc. etc. but to claim they don't exist on that basis or that others are misrepresenting their views when they post on Twitter would be rightly condemned and shouted down................

53 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I've not said as fact that such people don't exist, though my personal opinion is they are a bit of an urban myth. What I have said is I've never come across them and asked if they were real or not.

I'm trying to think of something that could be called an English Success Story by some but would be sneered at by people with a superiority complex I wonder if you could provide an example? As a (currently hypothetical) example, if we did go on from here and win Euro 2020 then I believe you be very hard pushed to find anyone looking down at people simply celebrating the victory and enjoying the moment. What you would find is the people who take that celebration a step too far and using it to try and claim that makes our country overall somehow superior to the rest would be rightly sneered at.

On 04/07/2021 at 17:24, 1team said:

Am I the only one who is hoping Gerland don't win this. It will be the perfect excuse for chest pumping xenophobic brexiteers to tell us how fantastic Gerland is and how s**t Europe is. Depressing.

Wow! What's depressing is having nothing to be excited about and nothing to feel positive about.

After more than a year of restrictions and detachment from friends and families as well as the impact on people's well-being and financial position and a media hell bent on causing division a victory in a major international final will bring people closer together and lift spirits all round.

We've had to wait 55 years to celebrate success in international football (and we may yet have to wait a bit longer - who knows?).

Personally, I hope we do win it and it brings everyone closer together and I'm convinced that it will do wonders for people who have suffered with mental health issues.

It's fantastic to have something to feel really positive about for a change. There has been far too much negativity in the world recently.

11 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I've not said as fact that such people don't exist, though my personal opinion is they are a bit of an urban myth. What I have said is I've never come across them and asked if they were real or not.

I'm trying to think of something that could be called an English Success Story by some but would be sneered at by people with a superiority complex I wonder if you could provide an example? As a (currently hypothetical) example, if we did go on from here and win Euro 2020 then I believe you be very hard pushed to find anyone looking down at people simply celebrating the victory and enjoying the moment. What you would find is the people who take that celebration a step too far and using it to try and claim that makes our country overall somehow superior to the rest would be rightly sneered at.

I'll be honest with you, I could, but haven't got the inclination, to screenshot twitter posts on here to prove a point. I know what I've seen and read, you don't believe me, no problem with that lets just leave it there as it's really not an important enough "thing" to have to go round proving to people.

11 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I play tennis, as does Mrs Robbo and junior Robbo #2. She's 13 and can already beat me.  Not that that is tough. :blush:

I prefer a good knock around on the court to squash or golf or various other sports that people have tried to interest me in playing over the years.

According to Sport England about 3/4 a million people regularly play tennis. 

I have a love/hate thing with the Wimbledon  Championships though.  As an ex-SW19 resident I soon hated the Village pubs becoming filled with braying Hooray Henry types who'd inevitably stand about 5 feet from the bar and shout their inevitably confused order at the bar staff, of course wanting a comprehensive list of every wine available to be read out, even though a booklet on their table could have told them all that information.  :ranting:

Just over 1%? I'm surprised it's that many, given the weather issues. Wonder how it compares to other sports? Viewing is also interesting, I imaging lots watch but don't play (like football). I have actually played tennis, it's fun, but prefer other sports.

I think tennis does have an appalling image problem, very much seen as a rich person's sport. Which is odd, because apart from the pitch, you don't really need much, apart from bat and (furry) balls. And it only really needs two people.

7 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Just over 1%? I'm surprised it's that many, given the weather issues. Wonder how it compares to other sports? Viewing is also interesting, I imaging lots watch but don't play (like football). I have actually played tennis, it's fun, but prefer other sports.

I think tennis does have an appalling image problem, very much seen as a rich person's sport. Which is odd, because apart from the pitch, you don't really need much, apart from bat and (furry) balls. And it only really needs two people.

Totally agree.

It's one of those sports where you have an inbuilt advantage if you were wealthy enough to have a court in your garden as a kid.

Former UK Davis Cup player Andrew Castle, who went to primary school with me, had two!

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

There are many in England, and at the forefront of English media - both TV and newspapers - constantly commenting on English affairs, who are not English.

The media in England is stacked full of Irish, Welsh and Scottish opinion, not always favourable to the English, and sometimes notably anti.

You mention Brexit, and of course Irishmen Bob Geldof and Graham Norton were very outspoken, and indeed 'sneering' about it in our media.

On 04/07/2021 at 17:24, 1team said:

Am I the only one who is hoping Gerland don't win this. It will be the perfect excuse for chest pumping xenophobic brexiteers to tell us how fantastic Gerland is and how s**t Europe is. Depressing.

If they players win then its on hard work and merit, nothing to do with brexit, as an English football fan of course I want them to win. From a brexit perspective (as you brought it up) i would imagine both leavers and remainers will be behind England in equal measure. With regards your xenophobic comment I voted remain but know plenty who voted to leave and are some of the least xenophobic you could hope to meet and your comment is pretty insulting to those who through a democratic vote chose to leave.

I suppose I'm not bothered if they win or not.

I think it's the combination of my getting older (early fifties) or it's watching some games without crowds over lockdown which now make the games look like a bunch of schoolboys running around a park.

When you're at school and the players are much older than you and you're still dreaming that you might one day play for England then yes it's all about dreams of cup glory and hero-worshipping the players.

I don't think that the money swirling around and the number of foreign players in the big teams helps either because these days the big stars of the English top league are mostly representing foreign countries.

Back in the day the team would be the best players of the six or so best teams in the league; now I genuinely haven't heard of most of them because they're languishing in the U23s with only League Cup games seeing them getting a first team run out.

The only game I've seen was England Germany and the only players I immediately recognised were Kane, Sterling and Grealish.

For most of them it was "Who?".

My interest in football is seriously on the wane.

37 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Totally agree.

It's one of those sports where you have an inbuilt advantage if you were wealthy enough to have a court in your garden as a kid.

Former UK Davis Cup player Andrew Castle, who went to primary school with me, had two!

They were talking about Emma Raducanu not being home schooled as apparently a lot do (not that homeschooling is necessarily a marker of wealth) but probably more common with more wealthy families. They were saying that it was nice that she had a more normal upbringing than some (tennis players).

10 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Back in the day the team would be the best players of the six or so best teams in the league; now I genuinely haven't heard of most of them because they're languishing in the U23s with only League Cup games seeing them getting a first team run out.

The only game I've seen was England Germany and the only players I immediately recognised were Kane, Sterling and Grealish.

For most of them it was "Who?".

My interest in football is seriously on the wane.

That statement just isn't true of one single player in the England squad tbf. I understand that your interest in football is on the wane and that would affect how much interest in and knowledge of certain players you have BUT that doesn't make the England team a bunch of U23 mugs who only get the odd Carabao Cup game for their clubs. Six of the players you didn't recognise were playing in a Champions League final a month ago and another, Trippier, won La Liga, all far greater achievements than Jack Grealish has ever accomplished so far, as recognisable and exciting a player as he is.

1 minute ago, Markman said:

Stuck £20 on Italy at the start with enhanced odds of 18 - 1 - so if we lose to Italy I might not be too upset (or at least may have some consolation) 

It's a great insurance bet..............better hope Spain don't do them on penalties!!!!!

Archived