IGNORED

Not wanting Gerland to win

1team

19 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I suppose I'm not bothered if they win or not.

I think it's the combination of my getting older (early fifties) or it's watching some games without crowds over lockdown which now make the games look like a bunch of schoolboys running around a park.

When you're at school and the players are much older than you and you're still dreaming that you might one day play for England then yes it's all about dreams of cup glory and hero-worshipping the players.

I don't think that the money swirling around and the number of foreign players in the big teams helps either because these days the big stars of the English top league are mostly representing foreign countries.

Back in the day the team would be the best players of the six or so best teams in the league; now I genuinely haven't heard of most of them because they're languishing in the U23s with only League Cup games seeing them getting a first team run out.

The only game I've seen was England Germany and the only players I immediately recognised were Kane, Sterling and Grealish.

For most of them it was "Who?".

My interest in football is seriously on the wane.

I didn’t recognise many of the squad apart from silly socks, Kane, Sterling and a few others. Up until the opening ceremony I had little or no interest but when it began I really got into it. I didn’t particularly enjoy watching more football on the screen but there have been some great matches. Watching England is always tough (sometimes a tournament can be more enjoyable if they have been knocked out early doors ?) but this tournament has been a distraction from the mundane stuff (I can’t really get out much because I’m caring for my elderly mother) and I don’t have a car at the moment. And tv is generally rubbish…

I'm an open Marxist-Leninist and would absolutely love it if England won the Euros, and I'll be on the piss for a month if we do.

I've no idea why you would actively want England to lose. 

There's no need to self-flagellate about the original sin of being born in England. 

14 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I think it's the combination of my getting older (early fifties) or it's watching some games without crowds over lockdown which now make the games look like a bunch of schoolboys running around a park.

When you're at school and the players are much older than you and you're still dreaming that you might one day play for England then yes it's all about dreams of cup glory and hero-worshipping the players.

I don't think that the money swirling around and the number of foreign players in the big teams helps either because these days the big stars of the English top league are mostly representing foreign countries.

Back in the day the team would be the best players of the six or so best teams in the league; now I genuinely haven't heard of most of them because they're languishing in the U23s with only League Cup games seeing them getting a first team run out.

The only game I've seen was England Germany and the only players I immediately recognised were Kane, Sterling and Grealish.

Sounds like I'm 10 years older but similar feelings here.

I always want England to win - and I do recognise all the players - but was surprised the other night how emotionally detached I was from the game. My wife was jumping up loudly celebrating every goal, not me though, which surprised me (and her!)

Years ago I'd have been jumping about, charging at the telly to shout at the ref etc., very animated and fully involved. These days a quiet contentment that England are doing well, but nothing much.

Sad really, I never thought my enthusiasm for international football would wane, but it seems it has, so even if we win the thing I won't enjoy it as I would have even 5 years ago.

As for City, after the tedious, ever frustrating LJ years, then DH, I really hope Nige - who I'm greatly in favour of - can produce a City team that restores my previous fervour.

26 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

He really kin annoyed me! Especially when he hired that boat on the Thames

Geldof's a complete t*sser; used to find Norton amusing, but he's now one of many where I change the channel the moment they appear on the TV or radio.

19 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

As for City, after the tedious, ever frustrating LJ years, then DH, I really hope Nige - who I'm greatly in favour of - can produce a City team that restores my previous fervour.

Absolutely.

I remember one season where I had to stop going to AG because it was defeat after defeat and it was ruining my weekend each time we lost.

I was that emotionally invested in the club.

Now the long years of disappointment, the brief starburst of Cott's season excepted, has my expectations and engagement on the floor.

There wasn't just a temporary financial cost in first appointing and then persisting with LJ long after he should have been given the push; those years and the owners' attitude to the fanbase through those years will cast a very long shadow.

25 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I always want England to win - and I do recognise all the players - but was surprised the other night how emotionally detached I was from the game. My wife was jumping up loudly celebrating every goal, not me though, which surprised me (and her!)

Years ago I'd have been jumping about, charging at the telly to shout at the ref etc., very animated and fully involved. These days a quiet contentment that England are doing well, but nothing much.

Sad really, I never thought my enthusiasm for international football would wane, but it seems it has, so even if we win the thing I won't enjoy it as I would have even 5 years ago.

It will take time though.............he's got a lot of long term damage to reverse imo. As a general thing I think it was inevitable that Covid and lockdown restrictions would affect some people's appetite for football. The sport will lose some people who haven't missed it and won't go back.\

On your original point there's a massive difference in being "emotionally detached" and not overly caring about England's performance (surely that's also how non-football supporters will feel about it) and actively "wanting them to fail".

41 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's an interesting one, I'm far less bothered now than I used to be. It really is a sense of detachment; I want them to do well - and play well - but it doesn't really bother me. Unless we're playing Scotland, when I was us to win SO MUCH.

City, on the other hand, still have me jumping about like a kid (I'm 52). As others have said, it's about being 'invested' in it.

11 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It will take time though.............he's got a lot of long term damage to reverse imo. As a general thing I think it was inevitable that Covid and lockdown restrictions would affect some people's appetite for football. The sport will lose some people who haven't missed it and won't go back.\

On your original point there's a massive difference in being "emotionally detached" and not overly caring about England's performance (surely that's also how non-football supporters will feel about it) and actively "wanting them to fail".

Not sure I quite understand - I certainly don't want England to fail. Exactly the opposite - I want them to win, every game, and I'm very proud to be English.

Just I find I'm not so bothered as I used to be, which was a hell of a lot.

Maybe my age, maybe the lockdown has played a part, maybe I just don't find modern football so exciting (well, I definitely don't) maybe I'm waiting for England to let me down as per usual so am keeping my distance a bit, or maybe it's just me (and Eddie!)

I very much hope to be re-enthused both by the England team, and more particularly by BCFC, because following their fortunes passionately has been a massive part of my life for as long as I can remember.

37 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I've felt similar. I'm supporting England and do have some excitement about this whole Euros thing, but I wish it was happening when I was in my 20s when I would have been getting the nerves, the frenzy, living every moment. Instead I feel quite calm and I know I'll be philosophical about defeat if/when it comes. I've enjoyed having football on the TV every day the most.

Fortunately I still get emotional watching City and I hope that doesn't completely leave me.

Is it just growing up?!

1 minute ago, SecretSam said:

It's an interesting one, I'm far less bothered now than I used to be. It really is a sense of detachment; I want them to do well - and play well - but it doesn't really bother me. Unless we're playing Scotland, when I was us to win SO MUCH.

City, on the other hand, still have me jumping about like a kid (I'm 52). As others have said, it's about being 'invested' in it.

Yep, Scotland and Germany for me.

But wasn't the Scotland game another massive let down? No fire from England, so tedious.

I did enjoy the Germany game, have to admit.

As for City, I've mostly been bored stiff at AG for years now, nothing I'd like better than for Nige to produce a team to get the blood pumping again.

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not sure I quite understand - I certainly don't want England to fail. Exactly the opposite - I want them to win, every game, and I'm very proud to be English.

Just I find I'm not so bothered as I used to be, which was a hell of a lot.

Maybe my age, maybe the lockdown has played a part, maybe I just don't find modern football so exciting (well, I definitely don't) maybe I'm waiting for England to let me down as per usual so am keeping my distance a bit, or maybe it's just me (and Eddie!)

I very much hope to be re-enthused both by the England team, and more particularly by BCFC, because following their fortunes passionately has been a massive part of my life for as long as I can remember.

I was comparing yours and Hitler's stance of "not emotionally attached" to the OP's stance of "wanting England to fail" and saying there's a huge difference........and there is a huge difference in the two views, a massive difference.

I understand all of the above, I don't understand wanting England to fail because a few "right wingers" might gloat a little bit.......

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I was comparing yours and Hitler's stance of "not emotionally attached" to the OP's stance of "wanting England to fail" and saying there's a huge difference........and there is a huge difference in the two views, a massive difference.

I understand all of the above, I don't understand wanting England to fail because a few "right wingers" might gloat a little bit.......

Thanks for explaining, agree completely.

23 hours ago, mozo said:

'Tiger Tim', 'Henman Hill', his little fist pump and posh ladies shouting 'come on, Tim in between points...for some reason all of that really irritated me!

I don't like Murray either. Actually, I don't think I like Tennis...

Watching tennis is agonisingly dull. If it goes into one of those long rallies you can guarantee that one of the players will win the point eventually.

And watching a doubles match for three hours should be an alternative form of punishment for minor crimes.

It’s quite good fun to play though.

11 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

Watching tennis is agonisingly dull. If it goes into one of those long rallies you can guarantee that one of the players will win the point eventually.

And watching a doubles match for three hours should be an alternative form of punishment for minor crimes.

It’s quite good fun to play though.

i think it's modern sport in general is less exciting, with fewer characters.

The Wimbledon days of Borg, McEnroe, Connors, Gerulaitis etc. were far from boring.

Even the Ladies with Evert and Goolagong were worth watching.

I'd happily have watched it all day every day, and did when I could.

These days I'm barely aware the tournament is even on.

36 minutes ago, Elmore James said:

Did you read the article? If so, what did you think about it?

Nope, don't read the Torygraph. And I was referring to the Torygraph's tendency to portray anyone not toeing the party line as an evil commie.

And my comment was about the paper, not the article.

Maybe go easy on that high horse, it's a long way down.

I have read with real interest the comments, opinions and abuse and enjoyed most. I was genuinely interested in peoples views. Firstly I don't hate England, it's where I was born and lived up until last year.

I am 60 years old so old enough to recognise the enthusiasm people have had for the National team in their younger days and recognise the comments of how that's now diminished. I used to follow England abroad and have been to 3 tournaments. 

The post was acknowledging my increased apathy towards international football, whereas previously I would have said **** the xenophobes and nationalists this is my England but I don't feel attached enough to the team to think that now, hence my thoughts.

On 05/07/2021 at 14:54, RedHienz said:

Tiger Tim! 

Prefer Greg Rusedski

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yep, Scotland and Germany for me.

But wasn't the Scotland game another massive let down? No fire from England, so tedious.

I did enjoy the Germany game, have to admit.

As for City, I've mostly been bored stiff at AG for years now, nothing I'd like better than for Nige to produce a team to get the blood pumping again.

I sort of think the same as you, Noggers. 

I don't feel much personal animus over the German football team, but I was glad we banished the tournament hoodoo they'd held over us for years.

Teams I NEED England to win against are:

Scotland (football)

Australia (cricket)

Wales, and South Africa (rugby)

US (any track athletics)

The reasons being are the same in every case. It means sooo much more to their fans in those sports than it does to us, that beating them is genuinely funny. 

I'm not going to slag the OP off for his opinion. At least he's being honest

It isn't my opinion though. I may be disappointed with lots of things regarding England currently, but I'm still English Always will be.

As the Yanks say, it's my country, right or wrong. 

I was thinking about this the other day and reminiscing about previous tournaments where I`d get up at some ungodly hour or rearrange work schedules to watch England play - I really don`t think I`d do that now TBH. Maybe because I`m a lot older but perhaps I`m less invested?

What I`m finding a real dilemma is City. I`ve renewed my ST but am really wondering whether I still want all the hassle that goes with actually going to the game? When it`s a two hour trip each way (three or more in the holiday season), the parking nightmare all for a 0-0 draw with QPR or someone I`m struggling a bit. I`d already pretty much knocked night games on the head as it was killing me not getting home till 12:30 and being up for work at 5 but I need to decide.

I`ll always love City - I`ve invested far too much emotion over the years to stop -  and still hang on every transfer/injury rumour but am I falling out of love with the `experience`? I honestly think if there are still any restrictions like masks or staggered arrival times that will clinch it for me.

Football has changed and I don`t think I`ve changed with it.

6 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I don't think the money has anything to do with this England team. i've never seen a group of players as hungry and determined as this in an England shirt in my time (maybe except 96)

I'd say the big stars of the English league are representing England, again for the first time in a long while. Shaw, Stones and Maguire have been right up there as some of the best defenders this season. We've got full backs who have won the league, the champions league and la liga. Rice and Phillips had outstanding seasons for this clubs, over-performing against their predicted positions. Sancho has been tearing up the German league, Sterling and Foden were second and third on goals and assists at City. Kane won the golden boot.

No idea what you mean about the players languising in the U23s. If you dont know who these players are it must be because you dont pay attention to the Premier League (understandable as a City fan I guess!), not because they dont play. Again, we've got winners of leagues and european cups in our team and they weren't just bit part players, leading players in their teams. 

This is the best England team we've had for 15-20 years in terms of quality and probably even longer in terms of actual results on the pitch. It's a shame you can't get interested in it

4 hours ago, 1team said:

The post was acknowledging my increased apathy towards international football, whereas previously I would have said **** the xenophobes and nationalists this is my England but I don't feel attached enough to the team to think that now, hence my thoughts.

Sorry to learn of your feelings of apathy and detachment, 1team. Chin up, mate.

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

I don't think the money has anything to do with this England team. i've never seen a group of players as hungry and determined as this in an England shirt in my time (maybe except 96)

I'd say the big stars of the English league are representing England, again for the first time in a long while. Shaw, Stones and Maguire have been right up there as some of the best defenders this season. We've got full backs who have won the league, the champions league and la liga. Rice and Phillips had outstanding seasons for this clubs, over-performing against their predicted positions. Sancho has been tearing up the German league, Sterling and Foden were second and third on goals and assists at City. Kane won the golden boot.

No idea what you mean about the players languising in the U23s. If you dont know who these players are it must be because you dont pay attention to the Premier League (understandable as a City fan I guess!), not because they dont play. Again, we've got winners of leagues and european cups in our team and they weren't just bit part players, leading players in their teams. 

This is the best England team we've had for 15-20 years in terms of quality and probably even longer in terms of actual results on the pitch. It's a shame you can't get interested in it

The ironic thing is people who are no longer interested in the current team were no doubt interested in previous England teams containing loads of names like Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney etc. teams of high profile players who genuinely let the nation down by putting club rivalries first and who never even sniffed a semi-final let alone two of them………..it might have been that that started the loss of interest tbf.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

The ironic thing is people who are no longer interested in the current team were no doubt interested in previous England teams containing loads of names like Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney etc. teams of high profile players who genuinely let the nation down by putting club rivalries first and who never even sniffed a semi-final let alone two of them………..it might have been that that started the loss of interest tbf.

Understandable really, that and then Capello’s hard regime that took the fun away from the players and then Hodgson’s utter dross

Look how well Shaw and Sterling are linking up, bitter rivals week in week out yet playing like best friends at the moment

I’m with some on here on missing some of the excitement in watching England that I used to have. As a kid when we got to the latter knock out stages I couldn’t sleep at night I was so excited and later when I was old enough to go down the pub again watching games in my twenties and early thirties were amazing, but thinking back to those times it makes you realise that despite the fact that we didn’t win the tournaments or even get close to the semi finals a lot of the time we have won some great games and I’ve had some absolutely incredible days and nights drinking and celebrating a great result. When you look back at things like that it makes you realise that actually going on to win the actual tournament isn’t the be and end all.

Finally although I may not be quite as excited about England in tournaments as I was I am really proud of this England team, prouder than I have been for a while and a lot of that credit has to go to Gareth Southgate who has turned us into a proper team that plays like a team than a bunch of individuals. The whole squad seems to be supporting each other and pulling in the same direction. Let’s hope they can take us all the way.

Come on England! Euro 2016 England GIF by Sporza

On 06/07/2021 at 12:54, mozo said:

I've felt similar. I'm supporting England and do have some excitement about this whole Euros thing, but I wish it was happening when I was in my 20s when I would have been getting the nerves, the frenzy, living every moment. Instead I feel quite calm and I know I'll be philosophical about defeat if/when it comes. I've enjoyed having football on the TV every day the most.

Fortunately I still get emotional watching City and I hope that doesn't completely leave me.

Is it just growing up?!

No doubt that's part of it.

Anyway, pleased to report I'm getting an anticipatory tingle about tonight's game not previously felt during this tournament.

Hope for me yet!

:chant6ez:COME ON ENGLAND, STUFF DENMARK!:chant6ez:

image.jpeg.48dce2d4aeced1e551eb332e7de46846.jpeg

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No doubt that's part of it.

Anyway, pleased to report I'm getting an anticipatory tingle about tonight's game not previously felt during this tournament.

Hope for me yet!

:chant6ez:COME ON ENGLAND, STUFF DENMARK!:chant6ez:

image.jpeg.48dce2d4aeced1e551eb332e7de46846.jpeg

Yeah I'm getting some mild anxiety which has to be a good sign!

Archived