IGNORED

Is 1team t only person on this board "not wanting Gerland to win"

Steve Watts

Is 1team t only person on this board "not wanting Gerland to win"  

202 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If anyone likes their football podcasts, Top Flight Time Machine featured a very similar debate on their episode on Sunday- Sam's Balls. Andy Dawson argued that he didn't care about England and sort of wanted Muller to bury his chance and Sam Delaney defends getting in the spirit of Eng-er-land.

The rest of the episode is about Sam going to the ball doctor!

2 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Thought I'd help 1team get the answer he is looking for with his topic because I'm nice like that!

Although I put yes I realise that is wrong because believe you me our Welsh friend SouthstandBlockB or whatever he/she is called definitely wants us to get "pumped" on Wednesday...................100% guaranteed.

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Although I put yes I realise that is wrong because believe you me our Welsh friend SouthstandBlockB or whatever he/she is called definitely wants us to get "pumped" on Wednesday...................100% guaranteed.

Plenty of British people - me included - want all the British teams to do as well as possible. Personally I want England to win, but I’m half Welsh and would have been happy to see Wales and Scotland in the last four.

Just now, Leveller said:

Plenty of British people - me included - want all the British teams to do as well as possible. Personally I want England to win, but I’m half Welsh and would have been happy to see Wales and Scotland in the last four.

I think you missed the posts when the Welsh lad/lass blew their top after Denmark destroyed them............and gloriously predicted we would get pumped by the Germans.

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I think you missed the posts when the Welsh lad/lass blew their top after Denmark destroyed them............and gloriously predicted we would get pumped by the Germans.

Sure; as long as people avoid generalising because of a handful of idiots. Plenty of us don’t join in the hating.

6 hours ago, Sturny said:

I put no because it doesn't matter what I want when it's coming home anyway 

Euro 2016 England GIF by Sporza

For something to "come home" it has to have lived there in the first place. 

The original song was written about the tournament taking place in England but has since been repurposed to mean winning a trophy by fans but this only makes sense in the context of the World Cup. 

Therefore is definitely not coming home as it's not possible.

... yes, I voted 'no'.

16 hours ago, TBW said:

For something to "come home" it has to have lived there in the first place. 

The original song was written about the tournament taking place in England but has since been repurposed to mean winning a trophy by fans but this only makes sense in the context of the World Cup. 

Therefore is definitely not coming home as it's not possible.

... yes, I voted 'no'.

Not at all....we say a newborn baby is coming home.  Someone who is maybe in hospital and their family moves to a new house while they're there are coming home when they leave....

And I see the meaning of "it's coming home" to be much more generic than a trophy, and to be more about footballing success is coming back to the country of football's birth.

Further, as both semi finals and the final are being played here, the three most important matches in the tournament, then again, it's coming home still fits.

Therefore it most certainly is possible to be coming home.

Historically............if football was truly coming home.....it would end up in 3rd century China    ?   And there's always the Viking's   using a monks head for a kickabout in AD 700...so Denmark also have a claim?   Ha!     

On 05/07/2021 at 16:09, Leveller said:

Let's just have a British team then, I'd be all up for that in the spirit of Great Britain 

On 06/07/2021 at 09:23, Steve Watts said:

Not at all....we say a newborn baby is coming home.  Someone who is maybe in hospital and their family moves to a new house while they're there are coming home when they leave....

And I see the meaning of "it's coming home" to be much more generic than a trophy, and to be more about footballing success is coming back to the country of football's birth.

Further, as both semi finals and the final are being played here, the three most important matches in the tournament, then again, it's coming home still fits.

Therefore it most certainly is possible to be coming home.

You don't compete with other couples for newborn babies. There's only one place they're possibly going. A tournament with a trophy at the end of it isn't quite comparable as it has no set destination at the beginning of it. 

3 hours ago, TBW said:

You don't compete with other couples for newborn babies. There's only one place they're possibly going. A tournament with a trophy at the end of it isn't quite comparable as it has no set destination at the beginning of it. 

Then ignore the baby comparison.  Go with the rest of it.  It's not "Trophy's coming home" but "football's coming home". As I said, it seems to me to be more about success coming to the birthplace of the modern game. (modern being a relative term of course)

Archived